SIG Talk banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

Registered
I also have an old W. German P228. I really like the older classic Sigs. I later got an older German P229. I just like owning them both.
I鈥檓 on the lookout in getting a M11-A1. So I guess I鈥檓 saying, if you can, just keeping adding to the collection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Registered
OK, this is probably gonna sound stupid to a lot of people but I鈥檓 looking for opinions from the gallery. I have an old W. German P228. ... but get something else that鈥檚 newer to shoot every day?
If you want still another reason to purchase a P229 (or M11-A1), here's one: You can purchase a .357 Sig upper for these newer pistols!

rx7sig

Registered
OK, this is probably gonna sound stupid to a lot of people but I鈥檓 looking for opinions from the gallery. I have an old W. German P228. It looks old on the outside with faded finish and holster marks, but mechanically it鈥檚 really good. It shoots well, it has little to no wear on the anodizing on the frame and no rust, all that kind of stuff. I have 15 or so zipper back magazines and a spring rebuild kit in the closet. So, I suppose I could keep using it as things wear out I could keep it going. My question is, given its age, at what point should I start to consider this like a classic antique car and just keep it in the safe and bring it out every now and then, but get something else that鈥檚 newer to shoot every day? I know the new ones have different magazines and require a different holster. Of course there鈥檚 the expense of buying a whole new pistol.
Keep using it. Those Zipperback mags are worth a bunch themselves. Check out GB and Ebay.

Registered
Maybe send the 228 in for a complete "spa treatment" when Sig is running one of their specials? It would be like having a new Sig for less cost and you would already have known reliability.
I like this recommendation irispective of the addition of a new model. The P228 is just too iconic to relegate to the safe. OTOH I think it a wise move to have several quality guns in your carry rotation! (y)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
No, it鈥檚 not mag capacity. I can buy Mec Gar 15-round magazines relatively cheap if I want two more rounds. I鈥檓 just thinking the old 228 might be getting to the age where maybe I should pamper it and get a new pistol that is in current production to shoot regularly.

Resident Armorer Premium Member
What is it about those zipperback mags that draws such a premium?
In some places "Pre-Ban" magazines can be used in lieu of 10 round capacity maximum magazines, primarily...

Registered
If it鈥檚 an upgrade do it, more capacity and fresh metal , keep the old one as a historic piece

Reactions: AzMaz

Premium Member
Yes.

Registered
Well, nothing wrong with an 鈥渙ld鈥 P228. The 229s are nice, the 226 is nice. All in all, you can鈥檛 go wrong buying a new gun. Pretty much everybody here is gonna tell you to buy a new one. And, yeah, you should buy a new one. But I鈥檇 bet that you shoot the 228 pretty good too. And then the 210s are nice, as are the 220s. And let鈥檚 not forget the 224, 225, 232, 239, 320, and 938s. Oh yeah, Sig also has a bunch of 1911s too. And there鈥檚 a couple more that I can鈥檛 recall off the top of my head. Short answer? Yeah, you could probably find something that you like. And, you know, if you like the 228, it鈥檚 not like it鈥檚 gonna stop working tomorrow. :)

Registered
Keeping that familiar friend running would have sentimental value but giving oneself time to get accustomed to a new to you tool would have great returns if after you were forced to retire the older P228. No two triggers are exactly alike and that time to get to know another makes a transition more smoothly occur. My $0.02 worth.

Besides, I can always use another in the Signess collection! HAHA!

21 - 40 of 58 Posts