SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this is probably gonna sound stupid to a lot of people but I’m looking for opinions from the gallery. I have an old W. German P228. It looks old on the outside with faded finish and holster marks, but mechanically it’s really good. It shoots well, it has little to no wear on the anodizing on the frame and no rust, all that kind of stuff. I have 15 or so zipper back magazines and a spring rebuild kit in the closet. So, I suppose I could keep using it as things wear out I could keep it going. My question is, given its age, at what point should I start to consider this like a classic antique car and just keep it in the safe and bring it out every now and then, but get something else that’s newer to shoot every day? I know the new ones have different magazines and require a different holster. Of course there’s the expense of buying a whole new pistol.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
hmm, whatever you want to do.
i kept using my first p226 for 25 years before getting another (and a p229) so it can be done, no matter how fond or attached to something it is really up to you.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Hey thanks everybody I guess I’m really not looking for somebody to make up my mind I’m just looking for opinions in such
in that case, the forum consensus will always be more guns.
how ever many guns you own is at least one less than you should have.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
OK, this is probably gonna sound stupid to a lot of people but I’m looking for opinions from the gallery. I have an old W. German P228. It looks old on the outside with faded finish and holster marks, but mechanically it’s really good. It shoots well, it has little to no wear on the anodizing on the frame and no rust, all that kind of stuff. I have 15 or so zipper back magazines and a spring rebuild kit in the closet. So, I suppose I could keep using it as things wear out I could keep it going. My question is, given its age, at what point should I start to consider this like a classic antique car and just keep it in the safe and bring it out every now and then, but get something else that’s newer to shoot every day? I know the new ones have different magazines and require a different holster. Of course there’s the expense of buying a whole new pistol.
If I were in your shoes, I’d upgrade to a Legion 229 as plan A. Plan B would be a 229 Enhanced Elite. This would upgrade your capacity, trigger and grips in one move without changing much in the way of weight or size.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
12,544 Posts
While nothing wrong with keeping your tried and true P228, nothing wrong with getting another!

It never hurts to have a "back-up"! SIG M11 A1 Compact Military Sidearm | SIG SAUER M11 Pistol It's basically the "updated" P229 version of the P228, and even your holsters would normally fit it, so no need to search for replacements.

I started out with the M11A1 first, after carrying P220 and P226s since 1990. I just picked up a P228 myself earlier this year, and used holsters I had for my M11A1.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts