SIG Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Just want to start off by saying that I am new to this forum as a member. I've been reading quite a few posts over the past year or so though. There are a lot of very knowledgeable and sig passionate folks here.

So, yesterday, I picked up a g-serialed p220 in supposedly unfired condition. Its slide is stamped made in w Germany and has the pinned breech face. Looking at the rails I could only conclude that the gun was in fact unfired. It is fitted with the post and dot sights. The mag that was inserted in the gun has some light wear from what I'd assume inserting and ejecting it a few times. I was guilty of doing this the first hour or so of handling the pistol when I got home. The other mag was still in its plastic baggy. Included in the case was the plastic baggy the gun shipped in, the extra mag, a hang tag, the original price tag, and the manual. There was no target from the factory though. The original cardboard outer box was also included which was in remarkably good shape. I was told that the original owner purchased the gun in 1997 and put it in their safe until 2017 and now I own it.

To preface all this. I was at my LGS in my hunt for a w German p228 but walked out with the p220. The p220 really was never on my "must have guns" radar but I just couldn't walk away from it. I don't know. I guess I'm a sucker for what I perceive in my mind, a cool gun find.

So my question to all you sig aficionados, "would this particular p220 be a good trade for a very nice condition p228, is there really any inherent value to a true gun collector to buy a used sig in an unfired condition and what would be a reasonable value for my p220?"

Thanks for any and all responses.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I don't know about your specific questions, but I know my P220 (my first Sig) is a wonderful pistol in many ways. My guess is that if you don't want an unfired German 220 there are a lot of folk who would. I know I'd love to have it. You're a lucky dog, Yellowdog!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't believe it is triple serial numbered. From what I understand. This is a made in Germany assembled in Exeter gun. I'll try and post some pics later. I've never purchased a gun and not fired it within a day but if to a collector having a gun unfired is worth it to them then who am I to take one out of circulation by firing it?

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
I don't believe it is triple serial numbered. From what I understand. This is a made in Germany assembled in Exeter gun. I'll try and post some pics later. I've never purchased a gun and not fired it within a day but if to a collector having a gun unfired is worth it to them then who am I to take one out of circulation by firing it?
Maybe to some if what you had there was truly collectible. And it's not even close to being worth a nice condition p228. Sorry.

Instead you just bought probably one of the greatest Sigs ever made. Congrats!

·
Registered
11,385 Posts
Don't worry, you did good with the P220.

I like the West German SIGs. Have a P228, with trip serials, test target, etc. Perfect.

A few weeks ago, I scored a W. German P220, trips serials, etc. Stamping on frame says: "SigArms, Tyson's Corner, Virginia". Made in 1985 ( JF roll mark).

I had no idea that SIG's first US location was in Virginia. 1985-2007.

Not sure if that brings more value to the gun, but I am happy. Love the 220.

I had a CPO P220, Made in Germany. Stupidly, I traded it on another gun. Since then, bought a new Equinox and now the W. German P220.

Keep on the lookout, W. German P228 SIGs turn up once in a while.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
If this came in the old gray case with the outer cardboard box, check the top half of the plastic case. I just bought a 230SL that the manual and test target were under the top. It had slid to the point I could not see it at first.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
So there are no German proof marks on the bottom front slide dustcover? I was not aware that there were P220s assembled in the U.S. with "W Germany" marked slides. I guess it could be possible since SIG began assembling P220s in the U.S. around '95 or '96 and there were still "W Germany" slides in 1995.

If your P220 had been made in Germany, then a LNIB P220 would be more desirable in a trade. However, since you do not have a test target (normally included with German made SIGs) and there are no proof marks, then I think it would not be valued as highly in a trade.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not even close in value to a nice p228? Really? I was thinking they were in the $600-800 range. I may be mistaken.

There are in fact no proof marks anywhere to be found on this pistol. It is my understanding that this was a for sure indication that it was not assembled in Germany and exported as a completed firearm.

Now I have to get a flashlight out and look into that slot in my case

·
P228 Sherpa
7,417 Posts
Not even close in value to a nice p228? Really? I was thinking they were in the $600-800 range. I may be mistaken.

There are in fact no proof marks anywhere to be found on this pistol. It is my understanding that this was a for sure indication that it was not assembled in Germany and exported as a completed firearm.

Yes, assuming an original gun, and not FrankenSIG, your P220 most likely is vintage 1995, like wgsigs said. Assembled at SIG USA. Hence, no proof marks or test target.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts

They're just too common, though yours is my favorite .45 p220 variant, with the beefed up frame and new hammer design but the quality and feel of the German Sigs. Assembled in US or Germany doesn't mean squat to me from a practical standpoint.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here are some pictures I took this morning.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

They're just too common, though yours is my favorite .45 p220 variant, with the beefed up frame and new hammer design but the quality and feel of the German Sigs. Assembled in US or Germany doesn't mean squat to me from a practical standpoint.
I'm with you on where the gun was assembled. I just consider it a timeline marker in sig manufacturing. Interesting. But no real practical meaning.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Regardless of mfg. location, what you have is a fine looking carbon steel slide, internal extractor SIG 220. IMHO, I feel that the carbon slide SIGs balance and point much better that the later mfg. stainless slides. And a lot of people out there prefer the classic non-rail look, and the Germany markings are another plus in my book. You should be able to trade it for a 228 with a little looking. If you are definitely going to try to trade for a 228, I would hold off on shooting it, to prevent any further wear. Otherwise, go ahead and shoot it. You will love it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Regardless of mfg. location, what you have is a fine looking carbon steel slide, internal extractor SIG 220. IMHO, I feel that the carbon slide SIGs balance and point much better that the later mfg. stainless slides. And a lot of people out there prefer the classic non-rail look, and the Germany markings are another plus in my book. You should be able to trade it for a 228 with a little looking. If you are definitely going to try to trade for a 228, I would hold off on shooting it, to prevent any further wear. Otherwise, go ahead and shoot it. You will love it.
I really am itching to go ahead and take her out to the range but am still holding out for that P228 needing anew home. In my simple mind I feel that as soon as I fire it it will become just another used p220. The more I handle it the more I want to keep her though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.