SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First gun purchase for me. Should have it within the week. Took 2 months to get my license and permit and nearly a month to finally purchase and receive it...Can’t wait to try it.

I was curious if anyone had insight or recommendations on what is best to get for the gun.

Looking at cleaning kits, toolkit for when I eventually want to start modifying it, if I feel the need. Possible red dot, I’ve read a bit about romeo 1. Plus any other suggestions (earmuffs) or advice would be greatly appreciated for a somewhat beginner.

I’ve shot, cleaned guns and been around them but usually it was several years apart, if that makes sense.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Congrats on your new Legion. I’d recommend using the 12# recoil spring instead of the 14# spring. Clean it really good to get rid of all the cosmoline and then grease and oil the moving parts.

Grease and oil are personal preference and you’ll get many different recommended brands. As for earmuffs, I use electronic ear muffs with gel pads on top of ear plugs to really muffle the sound.

As for a red dot, get either a Romeo 1 Pro, DPP or SRO since the new Legions are milled for a trijicon RMR.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Don't buy a cheap ten dollar cleaning kit. Buy a quality cleaning rod from a company such as Dewey.

Favorite lube for almost everything is Slip2000 EWL. The standard used in the Academy. Don't go crazy buying add on's until you learn the basics of shooting. Dry fire is a must as ammo is tough to get. Especially 9mm.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats on your new Legion. I’d recommend using the 12# recoil spring instead of the 14# spring. Clean it really good to get rid of all the cosmoline and then grease and oil the moving parts.

Grease and oil are personal preference and you’ll get many different recommended brands. As for earmuffs, I use electronic ear muffs with gel pads on top of ear plugs to really muffle the sound.

As for a red dot, get either a Romeo 1 Pro, DPP or SRO since the new Legions are milled for a trijicon RMR.
Thanks, any brand you recommend for cleaning and why do you prefer the #12 over the 14 spring?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Man, you started out with a good one. My X5 Legion is far and away my favorite pistol. I have a Leupold Deltapoint Pro on mine, which is like magic. When I get to the range, I like to check zero on the red dot. The attached pic is from yesterday. Five shots from 7yds, 4 inch target.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't buy a cheap ten dollar cleaning kit. Buy a quality cleaning rod from a company such as Dewey.

Favorite lube for almost everything is Slip2000 EWL. The standard used in the Academy. Don't go crazy buying add on's until you learn the basics of shooting. Dry fire is a must as ammo is tough to get. Especially 9mm.
Yea, i want to get a good feel for the gun and basic cleaning before i go forward with any modifications, unless I decide too add a red dot and if so, might have my local gun shop do that. Still debating on it.

The Sig Armorer has a FCU block that will come in real handy. The video shows most of it usefulness.
https://www.thesigarmorer.com/product/p320-access-tool/
Thanks for feedback and advice.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Thanks, any brand you recommend for cleaning and why do you prefer the #12 over the 14 spring?
I used Hoppes 9, non-chlorinated brake parts cleaner, Enos Slide Glide and Lucas oil for all my guns and rifles. I tear apart my competition guns/rifles and MPX after every match for cleaning using above materials.

After spraying non-chlorinated brake parts cleaner, I brush off the dirt and blow it dry with compressed air using my air compressor. After this is done, I oil and grease all the moving parts using Lucas oil and Enos Slide Glide.

As for using the 12# spring instead of the 14#, it’ll help in breaking in the gun and reduces the chances of FTE (fail to extract). This is also better when using reloads and weaker PF factory ammo.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used Hoppes 9, non-chlorinated brake parts cleaner, Enos Slide Glide and Lucas oil for all my guns and rifles. I tear apart my competition guns/rifles and MPX after every match for cleaning using above materials.

After spraying non-chlorinated brake parts cleaner, I brush off the dirt and blow it dry with compressed air using my air compressor. After this is done, I oil and grease all the moving parts using Lucas oil and Enos Slide Glide.

As for using the 12# spring instead of the 14#, it’ll help in breaking in the gun and reduces the chances of FTE (fail to extract). This is also better when using reloads and weaker PF factory ammo.
Thanks, appreciate the insight. I’ve got a lot to learn. Bit overwhelming but exciting.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The 12lb spring gives less muzzle dip with most ammo which means faster recovery for the next shot, but if you shoot +P rated ammo, use the 14lb spring. The +P ammo with the weaker 12lb spring will let the slide hit the frame harder and cause premature wear.

If you use a Trijicon SRO, even though it will mount directly to the newer slides, I recommend using a Springer Precision adapter plate to move the SRO backwards a half-inch. This will prevent any ejected casings from hitting the optic and possibly causing damage. It will also keep fired residue off the lens. This is a photo of how mine is mounted on the adapter plate.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 12lb spring gives less muzzle dip with most ammo which means faster recovery for the next shot, but if you shoot +P rated ammo, use the 14lb spring. The +P ammo with the weaker 12lb spring will let the slide hit the frame harder and cause premature wear.

If you use a Trijicon SRO, even though it will mount directly to the newer slides, I recommend using a Springer Precision adapter plate to move the SRO backwards a half-inch. This will prevent any ejected casings from hitting the optic and possibly causing damage. It will also keep fired residue off the lens. This is a photo of how mine is mounted on the adapter plate.
What’s +p rated mean? Still learning the lingo and all other things. Thanks.

·
Registered
165 Posts
What’s +p rated mean? Still learning the lingo and all other things. Thanks.
+P rated ammunition is extra power. Most modern guns will handle it OK, but I wouldn't run a steady diet of it, as it's harder on the gun.
My self-defense ammo is +P, but my practice ammo is not.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
+P rated ammunition is extra power. Most modern guns will handle it OK, but I wouldn't run a steady diet of it, as it's harder on the gun.
My self-defense ammo is +P, but my practice ammo is not.
Gotcha, Thank You. Is the p rated stated on ammo box or is it a certain grain count?

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Gotcha, Thank You. Is the p rated stated on ammo box or is it a certain grain count?
Some do state it on the box. You can also base it on the velocity stated on the side of the box.

For comparison, factory Federal 115 Gr FMJ averaged 1125 FPS, Blazer Brass 1150 FPS, Winchester 115 was 1100 FPS.

+p 115 Gr average anywhere between 1250 - 1350 FPS depending on the manufacturer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Good choice, one of the softest shooting 9mm on the planet. I target and many other laser practice targets are a great way to practice in your home without using precious ammo. You might rent a pistol with a red dot before you cough up the money for a red dot. Some people simply do not care for them. Broke mine in, if you could call it that, with plain 115gr Federal and the 14 lb spring, not one malfunction so far out of about 500 rounds.
Congrats!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread....I'm in the exact same boat. Just bought my first handgun as well (P320 X5 Legion).

I was having a hard time tracking one down too. Finally saw a couple show up on Scheel's website. Called my local store and they had one as well. Got kind of lucky, however....the trigger on it was wrong. It had the standard X5 trigger, so I've had to send it back to Sig to have them replace...so, haven't fired it yet. Should get it back in 2 weeks...along with some Sig/Legion gear for the trouble (wishful thinking :)).

Looking forwarding to getting an education on this forum...thanks in advance guys/gals!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Welcome to the X5 Legion! It’s a great pistol and was my first Sig. Now I am all Sig and have sold all of my Glocks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts