SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a German frame P229 in .40 with serial number AH 15 XXX. Guy I work with who took it in said the owner didn't know and that he thinks it's at least 20 years old. I just know it's old enough for the tritium sights to be DEAD dead.

Minimal play, no obvious signs of wear. Barrel is immaculate aside from the typical finish removal on the hood. Shoots like a charm.

Bought it with the intent of buying both a .357 and .9mm barrel and 9mm magazines. I'm new to Sigs and I was told I just needed a barrel for .357 and a barrel and p229-1 mags for 9mm. Is that accurate?

Do any of y'all have experience with Mec Gar mags for p22Xs?

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
It's a German frame P229 in .40 with serial number AH 15 XXX. Guy I work with who took it in said the owner didn't know and that he thinks it's at least 20 years old. I just know it's old enough for the tritium sights to be DEAD dead.

Minimal play, no obvious signs of wear. Barrel is immaculate aside from the typical finish removal on the hood. Shoots like a charm.

Bought it with the intent of buying both a .357 and .9mm barrel and 9mm magazines. I'm new to Sigs and I was told I just needed a barrel for .357 and a barrel and p229-1 mags for 9mm. Is that accurate?

Congrats on your new acquisition. Can never go wrong with a P229 357/40.
An AH serial number I’d put around 1998 or so.
True that you can simply drop in a 357 and you’d be good to go. Hope you got a good deal. Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,899 Posts

Congrats on your P229! Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Congratulations. The magazines are interchangeable for 40 and 357 sig. 9 mm will need different magazines. I think that there are a few after-market drop in 9 mm barrels. But I think a full 9mm slide with guide rod and spring is maybe better. Unfortunately that route is more expensive
Upload pictures!!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Welcome from Ohio. Mec-gar makes the mags for sig as a sub contractor. You should have no issues with mec gar marked mags. Best part about them is that they are less expensive than sig marked mags. I used mecgar increased capacity mags everyday in my duty gun/rig.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats on your new acquisition. Can never go wrong with a P229 357/40.
An AH serial number I’d put around 1998 or so.
True that you can simply drop in a 357 and you’d be good to go. Hope you got a good deal. Enjoy!
It was marked at $400 but I got it at cost for $250 tax included since I work there.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Nice and a steal of a price.

I picked up a 229 in .357 last year at an LGS. It was one of the shop employees that was selling and they called me the next day to see if I wanted a .40 barrel for $50. Yes, I'll take it.
Now I have a Bar-sto 9mm conversion barrel that's been on order since may, which I'll hopefully receive sometime in August. Oh, and I picked up a .22 conversion kit a show a couple of weeks ago.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,092 Posts
Congratulations! The perfect carry configuration... for everyday...;)

Reactions: Nilla

·
Registered
873 Posts
Are you sure about 14 round mags? I have two 12's for mine, never seen any 14's.

Bill
Greg Cote has mec-gar mags for 229. 17 rd 9mm 229-1 and 14 rd 40/357. Have som and work fine

1 - 20 of 21 Posts