SIG Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just Bought a P320 full size with 40s&w and 357sig barrels.

Not that its a big deal, but I was wondering why the mags only held 14 rounds since competitors like glock and s&w hold 15 in their full size offerings. I know guns can be in all sorts of capacities, but the p320 in 9mm holds 17 just like the glock and s&w. So why the loss of 1 round in the 40/357?

Are there any aftermarket mags that hold 15 or baseplate extensions?

I know it sounds petty to worry over one round but I'm a numbers guy lol. Thanks for any info and input.

Registered
I can't answer your question directly, but I've always thought if i can't hit what i'm shooting at in 10 rounds, then probably the next 4, or 5, or 7 may not matter.

I know for a sc you could shove a full size mag in, and use a spacer to fill the gap to gain capacity, but I don't know what you'd do for full size.

Premium Member
Congrats on your new 320. I have three but they are all chambered in 9mm so I have no clue about your mag capacity. It does seem a bit odd. I do hope you enjoy your 320 and that it serves you well. Welcome to SigTalk and greetings from the flat lands of Kansas.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. As I stated initially, I know that manufactures can differ on capacity, it just seems odd to me that they would match the capacity in 9mm but come up short by 1 in 40/357, little things like that can make the difference for a lot of people choosing a carry gun. I'm not worried about it from a carry standpoint either as I usually carry a 6 shot 357 mag revolver. Like I said, I'm a numbers and stats kinda guy so having 1 less than the competition doesn't really mean much to me but the OCD in me is bothered lol.

Registered
I rebuilt some of my 8 round 1911 mags with extra-power springs and followers and now they only hold 7. If the mag bodies were ever so slightly longer, or I went back to the original follower they would be 8 rounds again. However, when I rebuilt my 7 round officers (compact) size magazines they still held 7.

The point being the design could be less for any number of reasons. It could be because the follower is longer to prevent tipping, or to prevent the springs from being over compressed. Or it could be because the grip angle is closer to 90 degrees, creating a shorter mag body than the competitors. At the end of the day, that was the capacity that Sig decided met their goals for longevity and reliability.

But at the end of the day, the loss of a round is inconsequential to me. I never do the +1 barny mag thing so all if my guns are always one round lower than specs. So you've got the same number of rounds that I carry, and don't have to worry about a magazine change.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, mortre. I think you best explained what I was looking for. I guess they just didn't care that they were down a round compared to the competition. Again, I just found it weird that they were able to match the competition in 9mm but not 40/357, capacity wise.

Registered
Try 15 Rounds

I just Bought a P320 full size with 40s&w and 357sig barrels.

Not that its a big deal, but I was wondering why the mags only held 14 rounds since competitors like glock and s&w hold 15 in their full size offerings. I know guns can be in all sorts of capacities, but the p320 in 9mm holds 17 just like the glock and s&w. So why the loss of 1 round in the 40/357?

Are there any aftermarket mags that hold 15 or baseplate extensions?

I know it sounds petty to worry over one round but I'm a numbers guy lol. Thanks for any info and input.
I know this is an old thread, but:
Just back from range this AM, I also thought that the mags only hold 14 rounds. But, I accidently loaded 2 of my 4 mags with 15 .357 rounds. I always keep track of rounds that I fire, after the 14th round the slide didn't lock back, round still in chamber. I checked by counting how many were left in the last box of 50 I opened to verify.
Just loaded 15 rounds of .40 in one of the mags. It is a lot easier than loading my 9mm P320 Checkmate mags to 17 as advertised.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.