SIG Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got a new Legion P226 SAO

I just recently bought a new Legion P226 SAO. This is my first ever P226. Using my trigger gauge, I am getting an average of 3.25 pounds. Trigger is very nice, even with the take up. 300 rounds through it on its maiden range visit and it has been reliable. X-ray sights are fine, but I don't see what the big deal is. The mag ejection button is too small and buried too deep down in the grip in my opinion. Speaking of grips, the ones that come with the Legion are great!

A am having several issues though. . The slide release button sometimes will not release the slide and I have to use the sling shot method to chamber a round. The safety is way too hard to engage. It's not too bad taking it off of safety because you have better leverage going down, but I cannot engage the safety with a normal hold on the gun and I am not a weak guy. I removed the grips, but there was no change in how hard the safety is. Really surprised QC would not catch something so obvious. I almost did not accept it at the FFL because this, but figured it would break in or maybe have a simple solution (like loosening the grips as suggested on other threads). After 300 rounds I thought it would improve, but it hasn't.

All in all, I am a little disappointed with my Legion. I am going to have to send it back to Sig I guess. Of all my guns I have, this will be the first one I have had to send back to the manufacturer. I do like the way the gun feels in the hand and it shoots well, so hopefully most of my issues will be resolved.

·
Registered
745 Posts
First off, you made a great choice! Love my SAO SIGs! Both my Legion pistols are hard to release the slide via the slide stop. Many have observed this. Having reduced size controls are part of the problem. I think it would take a gorilla to release the slide via the slide stop on my P220 Elite SAO 10MM!

The safety levers on mine are tight also, but not as tough as yours seem to be. Maybe it, like the slide stop, will loosen up with use?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have had sigs that the slide release button takes a little breaking in. I bought a P239 Gen II SAS recently that it took the first range trip of 100 or so rounds to break in the slide release where I can now reliably use it. I am surprised to hear about the safety issue, I haven't experience that with my legion and would definitely contact Sig.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Call Sig. The safety shouldn't be that difficult to disengage. Also, after 500 rounds, I can now work the slide stop with my thumb. I never use it anyway but tried it the other day just to see if it broke in and it did.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bummer to hear. I feel lucky. Both my Legions (a 229 and 226 SAO have been PERFECT). Seen a few bad experiences over here. The safety thing is weird when you see how it works, there is nothing that SHOULD be able to cause it to be that tight.

I would try removing ut the allen bolt that bolts the two safety sides together and make sure the "guide" holes are clear, maybe add a small drop of oil. It's really a pretty basic system though. I'm doing a video tonight on how to remove for Vactor over in the IDPA SAO thread.

Slide release will break in, but takes a while. All else fails I'd get a hold of Ryan, the "legion" guy over at Sig.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have had the same experience as phlyers has had with the slide stop/release on my DA/SA, it was so stiff that there was no reasonable way that you could've been expected to use it when it came out of the box, but after putting about 2,000 rounds through it with about the same in dryfire, and plenty of fondling it has loosened up to be extremely easy to use, the same can be said about the decocker on my DA/SA it was originally super stiff and required a massive shift in grip to actuate, but after plenty of use it has loosened up to the point where if I can get my thumb on the lever it can be decocked easily.

TLDR I'd give it more than 300 rounds for controls to start loosening up to the point that you think they should be at.

·
Registered
188 Posts
When I was deciding on a new Sig, I rented a 226 SAO legion. I loved it!!!! Fantastic trigger. I do not remember the safety being hard to work. Like others, I think you have a great 226. Shoot that sucker as often as you can!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the insight fellas! Maybe I should put some more rounds through this thing to see if it gets better. I think that's what I'll do.

Reactions: Runnerpsu

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you remove the left grip (while looking down the sights) there is a hex head screw that holds the right side safety on. Make sure this screw is tightened. Mine worked it's way loose making the safety almost unworkable. It's been fine since then. Also my slide stop is nearly impossible to disengage. I over the top sling shot to chamber a round as it works no matter what pistol I have in my hand, so it's never bothered me much. Congrats on your new SAO. Mine is probably my favorite gun.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you remove the left grip (while looking down the sights) there is a hex head screw that holds the right side safety on. Make sure this screw is tightened. Mine worked it's way loose making the safety almost unworkable. It's been fine since then. Also my slide stop is nearly impossible to disengage. I over the top sling shot to chamber a round as it works no matter what pistol I have in my hand, so it's never bothered me much. Congrats on your new SAO. Mine is probably my favorite gun.
Are you referring to where the arrow is pointed below? If so, then no, it was not loose.

I recently put another 350 rds through the gun. No reliability issues. I have also worked the safety quite a bit while sitting at my PC watching Netflix and YouTube lol, but it is still very hard. Not sure if it has gotten any better.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Are you referring to where the arrow is pointed below? If so, then no, it was not loose.

I recently put another 350 rds through the gun. No reliability issues. I have also worked the safety quite a bit while sitting at my PC watching Netflix and YouTube lol, but it is still very hard. Not sure if it has gotten any better.
Yes, that's what I was referring to. Sorry for the delay in response.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just a little update on this thread. I have nearly 1000 rounds through my Legion P226 and my issues are improving. The safety is still tight, but I can work it now with my thumb while keeping a normal grip on the gun. It has definitely broke in some. Also the slide release is working now. Gun has been 100% reliable.

·
Registered
413 Posts
First off, you made a great choice! Love my SAO SIGs! Both my Legion pistols are hard to release the slide via the slide stop. Many have observed this. Having reduced size controls are part of the problem. I think it would take a gorilla to release the slide via the slide stop on my P220 Elite SAO 10MM!

The safety levers on mine are tight also, but not as tough as yours seem to be. Maybe it, like the slide stop, will loosen up with use?
Plus 1 on the gorilla thing, I have a 220 Hunter and it is very stiff, I'm a slingshot kinda guy anyhow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
that saftey thing is a bit much, perhaps just breaking in. I just bought a 226 legion SA/DA and ive never had an issue releasing the slide with the button. Perhaps i have thin fingers which can get right up on that button, but I always thought the legion button was just fine. I always use the button - to me there is something so satisfying about hjust standing there and just pressing a button and feeling the slide work with no effort. Or maybe its the faster motion of left hand works mag, right hand does button - speed of getting back to shooting.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.