SIG Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would bring up some insight. Feel free to call me brilliant or stupid on this one.

I bought 3 WASR 10/63s as of April 2014 at 519 a piece after shipping, FFL transfer and everything.

My logic.
I own one already. I bought for the same price at 19 years old. Im 22 now.
I watched it jump from that price to gun dealers handing over 750-900 cash for them with just 2 mags USED! Yes the cheap WASRs not a high end AK

Ban and crazy chaos buying doesn't happen but once every few President cycles but I do know my brother bought the same gun used 3 years before me for $370. Brand New they were selling on a couple websites for $439.

Im almost certain they wont drop below what they sold for 3 years before the scare recently mainly due to inflation and materials cost.

Anyone have any out take on this "logic" of mine? Even if I could help someone with my logic on this I have done my deed for the day. I also want to stain the wood fun colors since i have 4 now to play with :D

·
Registered
898 Posts
You wouldn't typically want to purchase guns solely as an investment, unless you're buying rare weapons, Class III weapons, collectible weapons, extremely limited "special edition" weapons, or weapons that are in low supply but have REALLY high demand.

You may get lucky and come out a little on top, but the amount of profit that you'll make won't be worth the time you had to spend to make it happen. Just my $.02. (Honestly--long term--you'd almost certainly be better off investing your money in the stock market)

You'll always see a little fluctuation in prices during times of political turnover, but unless you're talking exotic weapons, the price likely won't fluctuate enough to equate to a "significant" profit when compared to your opportunity costs.

On a side note: if you're buying these to try to make a little money, then do not do anything to these weapons that would make them anything less than factory original. People typically want to buy guns that are "like new." Any type of permanent modification (such as staining the weapons' furniture) will almost certainly decrease the value. (There are of course exceptions, but your goal should be to make these items appealing to as many people as possible, which normally requires keeping everything in factory original condition.)

Feel free to call me brilliant or stupid on this one.
It certainly isn't a dumb idea! It's a risky investment that you'll likely end up breaking even on, but that's okay! You can spend your money however you want, and if you feel like your purchase was worth the risk, then that is all that matters. Who knows -- it's always possible that these prices could double in the future.... no one can tell the future.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I agree with Sigx2, you're not going to retire at age 30 based on this 'investment'. You may make a modest amount, then again it may be a break even at best.

You'd be better off putting away $750 or any amount every month for the next 30 years. Even at minimal interest rates.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Well as a investment I don't know. I have seen a huge price hikes on this types of weapons in my life.
As well as were you life has something to do with it.
Up here those sell for around $800.00. But some things are just more here.

As far as buying and having three more AK 47s I'm all over that. I say the more the better. And the Ak is my favorite rifle. So from that stand point alone I would buy them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think it is a smart thing to do. If I had extra $ to buy a few weapons that we know will be in demand when the next "event" happens, I would too. Given what we just went through - you know you will make a few bucks.
At the very least - you now have a small cache to use if it comes to that. I'd get plenty of ammo to feed/sell with the rifles when the time comes.
I'm with you on your idea.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I never liked those WASRs, at least the ones I have looked at.

They were single column mag guns crudely opened up by hand to accept double column mags, which wobbled badly as there were no dimples in the receiver to control that. They didn't even retouch the finish where they opened up the mag well and rust was starting.

Perhaps not all of these are this way, but the ones I looked at were junk at any price.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
A savings account would earn near zero interest today. Even a small return on firearms would be better than a bank's interest at today's rates. But....

The biggest risks for a firearm "investor" are theft and negative changes in market demand. A better investment would be investing in a no load mutual fund. There would be less risk of direct theft with a better return in the long. Also, investments in stocks such as an S&P 500 index fund are more easily reversible (easier to sell) than firearms.

Bill

·
Registered
251 Posts
I never liked those WASRs, at least the ones I have looked at.

They were single column mag guns crudely opened up by hand to accept double column mags, which wobbled badly as there were no dimples in the receiver to control that. They didn't even retouch the finish where they opened up the mag well and rust was starting.

Perhaps not all of these are this way, but the ones I looked at were junk at any price.
I just got one recently. Apparently most if not all of the issues have been fixed with the current generation. Mine has only needed a little extra oil at the start, other than that it's been flawless for 280 rounds. I've had no problems with magazines either, it came with one Tapco and one metal magazine. They also come with the Tapco G2 trigger.

·
Registered
408 Posts
The Tapco trigger is not unusual. It counts as 3 US made parts for 922R compliance.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I think its a great investment. I considered buying 100 magpuls mags and selling them when they are worth $80-$100 a piece. Pretty big profit margin.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I got pulled into this. Saw a 556 classic NIB for $800. Sold! Put it in the safe. I shoot my 556 SWAT but it is nice to have a second rifle if I want to build it some day or if there is another run. I have noticed some really good deals last summer but stuff is drying up now. I wonder if it was a result of the craziness of two years ago where people bought what ever and never really used it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad to see I'm not alone. Thanks for the input guys. This isn't an attempt to get rich or a primary investment but a very small percent of investment. Already dabble in silver, gold, property, cash, and anything else that comes my way. Cash in the bank or rolls of quarters are never as much fun as whipping out an AK47 to oil it down on a calm Sunday. Great insight on keeping them as original as I can SIGx2. Maybe I will hold off on staining them.

Should I refrain from shooting 1 or 2 for the long run? or does a lightly used AK yield the same appeal as an unbelievable "never shot AK".

·
Registered
898 Posts
Should I refrain from shooting 1 or 2 for the long run? or does a lightly used AK yield the same appeal as an unbelievable "never shot AK".

It's up to you, but I would consider leaving them NIB. NIB is always better than lightly used (again, only follow this advice if your primary intention is to resell them later at a higher price).

From personal experience, I'm usually willing to drop a little more money when I know that what I'm buying is actually brand new.

·
Banned
3,519 Posts
You can still find Saiga in "sporter" configurations at or close to that price. Way higher quality gun but a little more finicky with the mags they'll accept. There's not a bad supply online still for the AK47s. If the sites weren't blocked here at work I'd post. But Classicfirearms and Atlantic Firearms and Centerfire Systems are three places to watch. Far as an "investment" goes, I don't think they'd go high enough for a profound investment.

I've seen the AK74 supply dry up, which I wonder if that will ever come back. If it does, I may buy a backup because 5.45x39 so fun! But that surplus ammo was officially been banned for import a couple weeks ago. I fear a bigger problem will be the ammo availability. I don't know how much 7.62 is produced domestically, but with the very aggressive push to ban firearm and ammo imports, having a rifle won't mean or be worth much if you don't have anything to feed it.

If there's anything irrational in your thinking, I have a similar affliction by obsessively owning AKs in the essential calibers: 7.62, 5.45 and a .308. I'm thinking I might've missed the boat on 7.62x54R, not having one and watching the price for that surplus go up. Big part of the AK fun is, or was, the availability of inexpensive imported ammo. Those days may be gone. I have 3 crates of 5.45 surplus some say will be worth $$$ someday. Which maybe I can sell and replace with even more commercial stuff.

Who knows? :confused:

·
Registered
14,732 Posts
I agree, Banks pay nothing.

I'm getting .10% on $100+K balance on a so called High Yield Savings account/
My Regular interest bearing checking pays .05%. Cd's are not any better.

Due to My age I have to take a Min Req Distribution each year from My Annuities and 401k, My annuities pay 4% and My 401 composite is paying about 10%+ ,so I lose Money
because of the IRS requirement.

·
Banned
53 Posts
I agree, Banks pay nothing.

I'm getting .10% on $100+K balance on a so called High Yield Savings account/
My Regular interest bearing checking pays .05%. Cd's are not any better.

Due to My age I have to take a Min Req Distribution each year from My Annuities and 401k, My annuities pay 4% and My 401 composite is paying about 10%+ ,so I lose Money
because of the IRS requirement.
With out even looking hard, I found several banks that pay up to .95% apy on accounts. I even found a bank that does 2.27 compounded daily on a five year cd.

·
Registered
97 Posts
One quick clarification, I never mentioned a savings account. But it appears that the OP has other investments working. My real intention was to underscore a consistent regular way to invest for the future. Even with small returns it will serve it's purpose.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.