SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Savage 10 FCP-SR 20" Barrel
Hornady 168g A-Max

After reading a lot I went out yesterday not very confident my set up with factory ammo would do well at 1,000 yards. Boy was I mistaken. Very happy with my first day out to 1,000. Granted it was a prime shooting day, cloud cover and very little wind at first. Once the wind picked up I was struggling, as expected. Target was 1,002 yards away, 20"x12" roughly. Later after these pictures we were slapping the little 10" plates too. I am hooked!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
With a 168g bullet, too.

I guess the innernetz lore only pertains to the 168g SMK (and not the A - max), whenever that bullet weight gets mentioned...

Reactions: Papa Sig

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With a 168g bullet, too.

I guess the innernetz lore only pertains to the 168g SMK, whenever that bullet weight gets mentioned...
Right?!

I went out there with a box of 168g Amax, 178g hornady BTHP, and 175g SMK

my rifle was zero'd with the 168g amax because that stuff has been shooting super nice out of my rifle. I was getting 1/2 MOA groups at 700 yards.

So i didn't have high expectations for the 168g based off of reading different reports. But i was able to get on steel fairly consistently. Could I got out there again tomorrow and shoot a whole box within a 10" group? probably not.

I also shot the box of 175smk, but that was when the wind started picking up. my elevation was perfect but without wind markers I was only connecting every few shots.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
my rifle was zero'd with the 168g amax because that stuff has been shooting super nice out of my rifle. I was getting 1/2 MOA groups at 700 yards.

So i didn't have high expectations for the 168g based off of reading different reports...
The older 168 grain SMKs probably had the wrong curves :lol:

If you could try out the newer 168 grain plastic - tipped SMKs, that would be great... The ogive is significantly different, with the bullet being longer overall.

Reactions: Papa Sig

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Awesome!!!!!

Long range is so much fun. All I use is hornady 168 amax in my rifle. I find that what people say about bullet weight to a certain degree, to be horse manure. I've shot it in wind and the 168's did fine!

Congrats on having a blast!!!!

·
Premium Member
16,973 Posts
Welcome to the club. I'm sorry to hear you're hooked. Your financial manager will be having discussions with you more than ever now...:lol:

I'm running a Savage 10FPXP-LEA [heavy Plaster stock] under a Zeiss 4.5-14X50 MC and a Sig SSG 3000 under a Burris 8-40X50 F-Class.

My RSO runs a Rem 700 SPS short action varmint barrel under a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-2C MOA retical.

Glad to hear you're on-board and can reach out and touch!...:cool:

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the club. I'm sorry to hear you're hooked. Your financial manager will be having discussions with you more than ever now...:lol:

I'm running a Savage 10FPXP-LEA [heavy Plaster stock] under a Zeiss 4.5-14X50 MC and a Sig SSG 3000 under a Burris 8-40X50 F-Class.

My RSO runs a Rem 700 SPS short action varmint barrel under a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-2C MOA retical.

Glad to hear you're on-board and can reach out and touch!...:cool:
ohhh it'll be awhile before I can [afford to] hang with those big boys. That's awesome though! have any pics of those rifles?

·
Registered
7,425 Posts

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,632 Posts
Congratulations... when first seeing the title, I imagined the "Mile High Club"... but as I digress...
Once upon a time, at Camp Pendleton Marine Corp base, Edson Range, on or around the end of April 1975, at the Western Division Matches. I had a chance to fire NRA 1000 yard course. Match Grade M14, with iron sights, the "bullseye" looked like a fly speck balanced on the front sight post, to my 22 year old eyes.
My first shot actually hit the target, so with patience I ended up with "some" point value.

Even with the use of optics, firing at that distance is a challenge, due to winds alone!!!

Reactions: donttread776

·
Registered
56 Posts
CONGRATS
quite the feat there. around here we don't even have a place to shoot that far.
as far as ranges go I can only think of 2 in the state that are 500 or over and the longest being 800 I think if I remember right.
I would love to learn how to shoot that far and have a place to do it

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CONGRATS
quite the feat there. around here we don't even have a place to shoot that far.
as far as ranges go I can only think of 2 in the state that are 500 or over and the longest being 800 I think if I remember right.
I would love to learn how to shoot that far and have a place to do it
I am fortunate enough to know someone with a 600 acre farm that we can squeeze 1000 yards out of.

Other than that you'd have to travel 4 or 5 hours southwest or north west into the mountains for a legitimate gun range that'll let you shoot 1,000+

it's a blast! I'm almost glad i don't have anywhere to shoot further because as of now I have no reason to want to build something that will go further! $$$$$

·
Registered
327 Posts
Have never reached out beyond 400 yards so well done. We have two ranges within 200 miles that I have looked up for only one reason. Rationalizing buying a .338 Lapua platform. Why? Because it's there..:)
If you ever want to see a movie with some long distance shooting (not well filmed though), try The Accountant with Ben Affleck. YouTube also has some good long distance shots. Nice shooting and congrats.

BTW, RIP to Don Rickles, a Navy vet and all around funny SOB. They don't make comedians like him anymore.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have never reached out beyond 400 yards so well done. We have two ranges within 200 miles that I have looked up for only one reason. Rationalizing buying a .338 Lapua platform. Why? Because it's there..:)
If you ever want to see a movie with some long distance shooting (not well filmed though), try The Accountant with Ben Affleck. YouTube also has some good long distance shots. Nice shooting and congrats.

BTW, RIP to Don Rickles, a Navy vet and all around funny SOB. They don't make comedians like him anymore.
oh yeah there are some guys out there in Utah and other places making 4,000+ yard shots. .375 Cheytac or a modified version seems to be the go-to round for these pioneers.

·
Premium Member
16,973 Posts
ohhh it'll be awhile before I can [afford to] hang with those big boys. That's awesome though! have any pics of those rifles?
Not good ones but see attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
549 Posts
Is a 1000 yard shot considered a defensive shot? Man that sounds like fun though.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts