SIG Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I picked up a West German 226 today. All 3 serials match and I believe it to be from 1988 as it is stamped JJ. My daily carry is a p938 and have always wanted a 226. Last night I found this one marked W.Germany in a local shop. It has upgraded truglo sights that glow well. Over all there is a not much wear on the gun, just a mark here and there. I am looking online and just not seeing any others in the same finish from the time period. I'm seeing bi-tones but not an older W German that looks the same. Is this an uncommon finish? I paid $700 for it which is probably a little high, unfortunately I live in NY and our gun prices seem to be about 25% higher on average. Since I have always wanted one and it looked like it had seen little use I grabbed it. Any info or comments are welcome, aside from my p938 I do not know much about their guns. This one felt good and I like the W. Germany stamp/history, she shoots excellent as well.

Thanks,
Dispo

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope

no box, no paper work or anything, just a paper bag with my gun in it. They even took the factory mag out because in NY we are not allowed to have anything over 10 in less your LE. And when you CC your only allowed 7 in the mag and one in the pipe. They did give me a brand new SIG brand 10 rounder though. Not their fault, state laws :( I miss living in PA!

Reactions: bearone2

馃帠USA Veteran
so they get a factory mag out of the deal, congratulations on snagging a classic.

welcome from az

Reactions: Dispo

Resident Armorer Premium Member
OMG, what ever you do, don't loose count while loading it!!! Welcome to Sig Talk, from the southwest corner of Indiana.

I hate to say it, but I think I would try to modify the magazine to prevent it holding 7 rounds, to appease the liberal overlords, and stay out of trouble!

馃帠USN Retired
Nice. But they couldnt ship the magazine to a out of state family member? They are just going to sell it anyways.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thank you for the welcomes and the compliments on the pistol. New York is a terrible state to be a gun owner. I live in a very rural area upstate where cows out number people in the town yet we still have to abide by the laws made down state by asshats. My EDC is the Sig p938 which will only hold 7 with the extension so no worries there. In my experience if you were to be "caught" with a fully loaded 10 round mag in public for some reason that you'd get away with a warning. If your caught with something that holds more than 10 fully loaded your looking at a Class D felony. Our law enforcement upstate was very against the SAFE act that applied these restrictions and took away our right to buy black guns. We are no longer even able to buy a crummy hi-point carbine. NY is not a gun friendly state, now if I could just talk my wife into moving...........

Registered
My little brother lives in Depew, NY. A suburb of Buffalo. He bought a Sig SP2022 and had the LGS send me the 15 round mag. I don't even have a 9mm SP2022.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I live about 35 minutes south of your brother. You can ask him about the reputation of the Buffalo gun center. It is pretty universally disliked in the the area, but we are left we very few options for real gun shops so people still go. This last experience was my most positive to date, hopefully it continues in that direction.

Registered
Just a heads up, the 7 round limit was struck down by the court of appeals:

Appeals court upholds SAFE Act but rules against seven-bullet limit - The Buffalo News

However, you are probably correct in playing it safe, because the NYS troopers public pdf still indicates that magazines are limited to 7 rounds.

http://nypdcea.org/pdfs/NYSP_Safe_Act_Field_Guide.pdf

Another article claims that the NYS troopers were notified to modify their field guide to accept the court ruling, but they have yet to update it.

NY State Police guide amended to ignore 7-round ammunition limit

According to the guide, police are not allowed to check your mag for compliance unless you are charged with another obvious crime at the time. Police cannot just ask you to drop the mag for inspection just because you have the gun.

Take it for what you will, some prefer to play it safe and stick to the NYS troopers official guide, others like myself don't give a rats *** about their guide and go with the court of appeals rulling and load the full 10. Take it with a grain of salt, but a local PD officer and I were talking about glocks and got to checking out the ETS mags that I use in my g26. Seeing that it was loaded with 10 rounds, they did not care.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have not seen a case that will settle this issue for us but this is right off the safe act website. The restriction was lifted only at ranges and personal areas far as I read it. I have more than a few friends in LE and they agree it would be no issue for them personally if your mag has 10+1. I have not spoken to a trooper personally, I hope they feel the same.

Safe act faq section

Information for Gun Owners on the NYSAFE Act Information for Hunters on the NYSAFE Act Gun Dealers
Learn more about the amendments to the SAFE Act bill Tips for a safer New

The SAFE Act was recently amended. The amendments include the following changes to the law:

Suspending the requirement that only magazines that can contain 7 rounds or less can be purchased. Going forward, magazines can be purchased that can contain up to 10 rounds. Magazines may only contain up to 7 rounds regardless of their capacity, unless you are at an incorporated firing range or competition, in which case you may load your magazine to its full capacity.
Clarifying that active law enforcement continues to be exempt from the prohibitions on the possession of high capacity magazines, assault weapons, and magazines containing more than 7 rounds, as well as the law prohibiting weapons on school grounds.
Ensuring that local safe storage laws are not preempted by the SAFE Act.

Close

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.