SIG Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening Gentlemen,

Following up my acquisition of a LNIB P230 in 9mm Police a few weeks ago, I came across this absolutely beautiful LNIB P230 Japanese police contract overrun in .32acp, and HAD to add it to my almost complete P230/P232 collection (even.though it wasn't in.the plan). This beautiful piece, and both mags, (including numbered case, litetature, and trigger lock) were still in the original plastic with the manufacturer's grease still on them before a breakdown and lubing.

A couple of questions for the experts:

Does anyone know the total size of the run for these P230s in .32acp?

And- were these pistols an actual "contract overrun" or did Sig intentionally over-produce and release with the intent of seeing if they might take off in the states? How many were shipped to fulfill the contract, and how many were sold commercially?

Thanks all!

Attachments

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,597 Posts
The problem with Sig Sauer is they never release "numbers" on contracts... I know this subject has been discussed here before, but don't know how much information, was ever concluded!

Wikipedia has a lot of information, and references if you want to do research... SIG Sauer P230 - Wikipedia

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem with Sig Sauer is they never release "numbers" on contracts... I know this subject has been discussed here before, but don't know how much information, was ever concluded!

Wikipedia has a lot of information, and references if you want to do research... SIG Sauer P230 - Wikipedia
Thank you for the link. I've looked it over before (and again just now) but there's nothing really specific to my curiosities. It's exceptional info for someone not very familiar with the P230/232, but there are actually a few minor/inconsequential errors....or maybe more accurately a omissions.

I didn't realize however that Sig held their numbers back. That's quite interesting. ....smart actually, but maybe a bit frustrating. I was sort of hoping that there might be some people on here that had first hand knowledge of this particular contract and the design modifications ordered up by the Japanese.

Thanks much!

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
One sold recently on GB for $2300! There is no Kanji on the gun; how do we know these were Japanese overrun?

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Thanks. I learned more on this link:

Gun Review: Smith & Wesson 360J Japanese Service Revolver - The Truth About Guns.

The P230JP as they call it, is about halfway down. Having lived in Japan, I've got a keen interest in Japanese made guns and most people are unaware of how many guns (lots) they actually make for companies like Browning and others. It is significant. Now if only we could find a made in Japan P230, that would be a real thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts