SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone IWB Crossdraw conceal carry? I ordered a cross draw holster for my p320 carry, from Ozark holsters because I think this sounds like a pretty comfortable position to carry with the barrel outside your leg when seated. Maybe it's not I haven't seen a lot on it and I couldn't find anyone in the threads talking about it. Idt the miliseconds extra it takes to cross draw outweigh the comfertability. I can't wait to get the holster to try it out.

· Registered
3,061 Posts
The downside of cross draw is that it's easy for someone in close to block your draw. When seated, especially when driving cross draw is an advantage if you're a righty.

I am OWB 4 o'clock most of the time. I considered going cross draw as my shoulders aren't what they used to be, but with PT (lots of practice) I loosened up enough that strong side works fine for me.

It all comes down to what works for you. There is no perfect way, all have their trade offs.

· Banned
6,262 Posts
Lone Wolf McQuaid was the first person I ever saw who actually carried cross draw years ago, and I've seen it talked about here and there. I read an article in a Glock magazine written by a cop turned private security in which he discussed carrying cross draw for driving purposes. Depending on the situation it can be a very convenient position, but it really isn't any safer than any other method. There is a lot of talk about various forms of carry, and everyone has their own thoughts. I carry AIWB in the INCOG Eclipse. It is most comfortable and convenient for me, but I will occasionally carry at 3 or 5, and sometimes 6 depending on the situation. I have thought about CD, but don't carry that way at present.

· Registered
3,481 Posts
Never tried to cross draw but a holster like a comp-tac neutral has enough adjustment to do so . Also vetter , fox and a number of other hybrids allows for some reverse cant to give it a try . If it does not work you'll have a nice rig for strong side carry for some thing between 2:30 and 4:30 .

I carried a tp40 kahr for 7 years at about a 2:00 position rear cant and it concealed well and fast to draw from even in a car .

Guess you get to decide how cross draw works for you .

· Registered
670 Posts
I have always carried my P938 and soon a P239 crossddraw, @10 oc. My feelings are: Most accessible when driving & Best carry for retention. I've never had an issue with comfort with my IWB Comp-Tac MTAC holsters.
I had a very good article citing the pros & cons but can't find it again...but here is Ayoob with some good points.
Massad Ayoob's Concealed Carry Techniques

· Registered
1,790 Posts
Interesting thread. I do not like AIWB carry and typically always carry at the 4 o'clock position. However, this is not great when driving so I tend to put it in my console. Cross-draw might be a good alternative.

Who makes holsters for this?

· Registered
828 Posts
I carry my P320 Compact crossdraw IWB because of a back issue that does not allow me to twist far enough to lift a shirt clear and draw from the right side. It's actually very comfortable with a Garrett Silent Thunder that I ordered with tuckable loops and have since converted to a slim belt clip that is more comfortable. My other option is CCW Breakaway jeans that are comfortable for either a 320 size pistol or small 9. The jeans are by far the most comfortable.

· Premium Member
18,477 Posts
I do considerable driving and typically carry my G19 crossdraw in an Andrews Custom Gun Leather Carjacker (website seems to be down at the moment, no link available :( ). This holster attaches to the seatbelt and can easily be slid down the seatbelt between the seat and the door if concealment is needed. I've spent considerable time practicing the draw with this setup, it can be very easy to sweep your legs upon draw. You want to be aware of that and figure out how best to prevent/minimize that possibility.

· Registered
1,131 Posts
A friend that is retired and travels a lot by car wears one not sure the brand and then uses a clip on holster when he gets out of the car ..

But the reason for my comment he wears his belt in his pants the opposite direction so he can remove the cross draw holster easily .. unbuckle and pull out one loop and remove .. Just as you would with one at 3 when putting your belt on the right way ..

no one notices its threaded the opposite direction ..

· Registered
1,626 Posts
I do considerable driving and typically carry my G19 crossdraw in an Andrews Custom Gun Leather Carjacker (website seems to be down at the moment, no link available :( ). This holster attaches to the seatbelt and can easily be slid down the seatbelt between the seat and the door if concealment is needed. I've spent considerable time practicing the draw with this setup, it can be very easy to sweep your legs upon draw. You want to be aware of that and figure out how best to prevent/minimize that possibility.
Website is back up. Here you can take a look at the Andrews Custom Gun Leather Carjacker.

· Premium Member
18,477 Posts
That's the one, thanks for the link, Steelhat! A couple comments:

1) Keep your finger off the trigger while drawing, unlike the model in the picture! Any hoster. and;

2) I don't care for the lack of retention on this holster. Yes, there is a tension adjustment screw, but that is inadequate. A friend lost his mother in a car accident. At the time of the accident, she was wearing a pair of family heirloom pierced diamond earrings. Due to the forces of impact, one of these literally ripped out and was lost. Something as massive as a loaded handgun in this holster might just do the same. I took my to a local shoe repair and had them add a retention strap, much better now.

· Registered
1,131 Posts
Lone Wolf McQuaid was the first person I ever saw who actually carried cross draw years ago, and I've seen it talked about here and there. I read an article in a Glock magazine written by a cop turned private security in which he discussed carrying cross draw for driving purposes. Depending on the situation it can be a very convenient position, but it really isn't any safer than any other method. There is a lot of talk about various forms of carry, and everyone has their own thoughts. I carry AIWB in the INCOG Eclipse. It is most comfortable and convenient for me, but I will occasionally carry at 3 or 5, and sometimes 6 depending on the situation. I have thought about CD, but don't carry that way at present.
when I was in Alaska .. a lot of fishermen carried cross draw .. the theory is your hands holding a fishing rod it would be waist high in front .. right where the pistol would be .. I carried a Ruger 357 like that on a belt out side of clothing .. anytime I was fishing or in the woods .. that was back in 70 ..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.