SIG Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a EFK Firedragon 9MM conversion barrel for a P229 40 S&W. I tried it in my 357 Sig P229 slide and it doesn't fit. The barrel hood won't fit in the slide. Not even close. I tried it in a P229 40S&W slide and it fits fine.

I mic'd the barrel hoods for the 357 and 40 and they are exactly the same. The EFK barrel has a hood that is ~.012 larger then the stock sig barrels.

Both p229 slides are legacy slides and the 357 slide has more rounds down range with it.

This one has me stumped.

I went and fired the EFK Barrel in the 40 slide today and every round resulted in FTE. Not sure if it's an issue with the 40 recoil spring and I need to use a 9MM recoil spring or it's problem with the barrel. I've shot 9MM barrels in my P229C with the factory 40 recoil spring and didn't encounter any problems.

Anyone have any feedback on this particular barrel?

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
By FTE, is the E for eject or extract? I assume it is extract, so you will want to have a close look at the extractor with a chambered round. The barrel hood, the top part that the slide contacts, can limit the forward movement of the slide so that the headspace is too great and the extractor claw will not be far enough forward to allow the case groove to move up under the extractor claw as the round is chambered. Then the round won't extract. Is this what's happening?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By FTE, is the E for eject or extract? I assume it is extract, so you will want to have a close look at the extractor with a chambered round. The barrel hood, the top part that the slide contacts, can limit the forward movement of the slide so that the headspace is too great and the extractor claw will not be far enough forward to allow the case groove to move up under the extractor claw as the round is chambered. Then the round won't extract. Is this what's happening?
It's a failure to eject. The extractor is catching the case. I can manually run a mag through it fine.

·
Registered
69 Posts
That stinks. My experience with the same barrel has been great. I use it in my '90's legacy slide P229 (.357 sig) with no problems. I don't even swap the recoil spring, and I'm more accurate with it than my other pistols.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
The 229C and the 224 use the same recoil spring across all calibers. I have used my EFK barrel with both a 40 spring and a 9mm spring with no problems in my 229SAS. I have not tried it in my 1994 229-357 with legacy slide.

I just tried my ELF in my legacy and it worked fine by hand.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Well, a failure to eject could still be the result of the extractor losing control of the fired case after it has extracted it from the chamber.

Since 9mm Luger has a case circumference 1mm less than either a .40 S&W or a 357 SIG case, the extractor claw will have .5mm less grip on a 9mm fired case when using a 9mm conversion barrel in a .40 S&W/357 SIG slide.

Apparently this is usually not enough to cause FTEs with conversion barrels, but I wonder how often it might be a potential problem?

Thanks for posting this. I have been considering buying either a Bar-Sto or an EFK FireDragon 9mm conversion barrel for my .40 S&W/357 SIG P229R.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.