SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a full inventory today, and with new brass 9mm FMJ's inching toward $1.00 and quality HP's nearing $1.50 each....my ammo supply is worth more than my gun collection!! :eek:

And what would my guns be worth if I couldn't get ANY ammo?

Whoda thunk that 6 months ago??

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
All of my ammo is not worth more than all my guns. All of my ammo maybe worth some of my guns. All of my ammo in one caliber maybe worth more than one of my firearm in one caliber, but vise versa in many cases.

All of my powder, bullets, brass and primers maybe worth some of my guns. All of my reloading equipment maybe worth some of my guns.

The issue is a vast majority of my ammo is my personal reloads. Most folks do not want reloads by anyone else. I am happy to have my reloads.

Now, I am all confused about what is worth what. :confused:

Although, I am happy with all of it and only want more. :)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
My ammo is without doubt more valuable than my guns...and that's without considering the inflated prices I'd have to pay to replace my stash at the current prices. I go to the range twice a week and have for quite a while (years since retiring). Doesn't take much of an imagination to see that ammo costs typically dwarf firearm costs for most avid shooters. ;)

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Took accounting. I have a lot of guns but at current pricing my ammo is definitely worth more than my guns.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
I've never really thought about it. I've got a "few" guns, but I've got "some" ammo too. At current market value I suspect my ammo is worth more. I know how many guns I've got. I need to count my ammo. I bought 10,000 rounds of 9mm back in January. I haven't shot any of it yet. I'm still shooting my older 9mm.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Funny.. I was talking to a buddy about this..
I was going to sell a sealed brick of 223..500 rounds
I bought it for 11 cents a rd. I’m looking at it to be almost a buck a rd
I sold some last time there was a run on it...

·
Premium Member
4,939 Posts
If I sold my 9mm I could buy an X5...

If I sold my 45ACP, I could buy a SCAR17…IF I could find a SCAR17 to buy...

If I sold my 357Sig I could buy a nice Pre Lock S&W...

If I sold my CCI 40gr MiniMags I could buy a nice DD or Noveske AR...

But if I sold it all, I could pay off my AMEX from my wife’s last Shoe shopping trip...^_^

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
If I sold my 9mm I could buy an X5...

If I sold my 45ACP, I could buy a SCAR17…IF I could find a SCAR17 to buy...

If I sold my 357Sig I could buy a nice Pre Lock S&W...

If I sold my CCI 40gr MiniMags I could buy a nice DD or Noveske AR...

But if I sold it all, I could pay off my AMEX from my wife’s last Shoe shopping trip...^_^
With no ammo I hope they are running shoes lol

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
If I sold all my guns I could buy a 5 year old E350

If I sold all my guns, my ammo and my reloading components I could buy a new S-Class

I am not a gun person. I am a shooter.
I use guns to shoot not shoot to have a reason to justify owning guns

I was a photojournalist until 2004. I was not a camera buff.
It was about getting the image.

It is the same discipline and reasoning.

I bought film in bulk
I buy components and ammo in bulk.

Not much has changed for me, well, change being relative

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
My ammo supply and components are definitely worth more than my guns and I've got a lot of guns.

If you think about it, we spend more on ammo than we do on guns on a regular basis for those who shoot regularly.
Sure thing. It's just like vehicle ownership.

Fuel
Gas = ammo

Upgrade
Cam, headers, etc. = sights, trigger work, etc.

:lol:

Reactions: TerminalSigness

·
Registered
14,952 Posts
I seriously doubt it at today's prices Maybe
I've got 40K rounds including Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun

I have 30 pistols(17 Sigs)
Three AR type rifles Colts SOCOM, DPMS AR10 and S&W M&P15 in 300 blackout
over 200+ Mags Total for the Pistols and Rifles
3 Browning Shotguns plus 12 total extra barrels for the Semi Auto and Pump
Remington BDL Custom Deluxe
Weatherby Mark XXII
Norinco SKS

·
Registered
162 Posts
If your ammo is worth more and you sell it then your guns are worth less again !

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
If you base it on what my guns should be worth or will be worth in the coming future, not a chance. Base it on the insane current ammo prices and still relatively cheap prices on certain guns (not mine), then probably.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
This is another one of those post that makes me feel guilty about not doing something. I haven’t had time to do an inventory in quite awhile. When ammo was cheap, I was just buying and stacking. Wasn’t really any rhyme or reason to it. If I used a specific caliber(practically all of them), I just grabbed the good deal, without thinking about it. I’m the same way about parts. Actually, I’m the same way about firearms. I’m sensing a pattern here.:huh:

Years ago, before my clientele shifted to those who didn’t need to visit the bank, I had a couple cheat sheets that I used to justify my worth. One was a chart that showed the actual monthly payment of any particular amount of borrowing. When you amortize any home improvement over time, and compare it to what is spent on utilities, or even compare fuel cost versus purchase price on a vehicle, it changes the perspective of the deal. Now, you still gotta pay the payments:lol:

I’m gonna start that inventory, just as soon as I get caught up:cool:

·
Registered
439 Posts
I took a full inventory today, and with new brass 9mm FMJ's inching toward $1.00 and quality HP's nearing $1.50 each....my ammo supply is worth more than my gun collection!! :eek:

And what would my guns be worth if I couldn't get ANY ammo?

Whoda thunk that 6 months ago??
CZSIG - Based on what I’ve seen, Ammo prices OnLine are the highest because they target a Nationwide Buyer - someone will always “Pay Anything”. Local GS (when they have Ammo) seem more reasonable and last week Gander Outdoors had 9mm/$10. box of 50, .45acp/$17. box 50 — Limit 2 boxes of each Per Customer-per day. Also had .357 mag $25/box 50 No Limit. Yesterday went to VA gun show and while Ammo was less plentiful then last year there was still plenty of 9mm/$30., .380/$35, .45acp/$35, All 50 round boxes, Brass case, ball Ammo.
Roughly triple or double what it sold for 6 months ago - but far below prices on GunBroker....

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
When 9mm Ammo was $.17cents/round for good stuff; I was shooting over 400 rounds a week. So, fortunately I loaded up proportionally while I could, with an ample supply.

I have 3 nice 22LR pistols that I've 're-discovered' and loaded up my 22LR supply early in the panic. So, I'm still able to shoot a couple times a week; albeit with a greater mix of 22's; and still not break the bank. Just last week I was still able to get 4 bricks of CCI Mini-Mag's 40gr CPRN for <$12 cents.

Most of the guys in our club are in the same boat; so we've set up a course of fun spinners, knock-downs, etc. geared to 22 and still having our fun; along with a little 9mm practice to keep the rust off.

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do to get thru!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts