SIG Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a P229R that i bought from the dealer for my 21st birth day. When i was buying the gun i never took at look at it or anything i saw it when he opened the box , and i went off of what it said from the side of the box. I have other 229s that my dad has i knew what i was buying just from the side of the box. So i finally got my gun and its not what i wanted its a brand new 12 model P229R , now the "R" stands for RAIL but mine dosent have a rail with it its a none rail p229R. So SIG offered to switch it out with another brand new gun that they have. But the guy i was talking to told me its a rare collectors item and that i should hold on to it , because the serial number of the gun , when they run it back at sig it comes up as one that does have the rail on it but this one really dosent so its miss marked. Has any one ever seen this or know of anything like this , because i have been told that its worth a lot more then what i bought it for please any help would be great..
This is how its marked ---- E29R-9-BSS-SRT P229R, 9 ,NITRON SLITE, STR

·
Registered
223 Posts
I would trade for what you paid for as the problem I have with that statement is the frame doesn't have a serial number on it, so how can they tell it came new with that gun from the factory. I wouldn't buy it if you sold it, as it sounds like a frankenstin gun. And how would that make it worth more?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would trade for what you paid for as the problem I have with that statement is the frame doesn't have a serial number on it, so how can they tell it came new with that gun from the factory. I wouldn't buy it if you sold it, as it sounds like a frankenstin gun. And how would that make it worth more?

Since WHEN did Sig start making firearms WITHOUT a serial number on the FRAME??!?

That being said: trade that gun for one with a rail, if you really want a rail. That gun isn't going to be worth a single penny more than any OTHER P229 without a rail, if and when you go to sell it.

Sig goofed up somehow, putting a non railed P229 in a P229R box, and it sure sounds like a an ex gun store employee is laying on the BS pretty thick about it, for no good reason I can think of.

Personally, I hate the rails that Sig is putting on so many P229's, but that's just me.

·
Premium Member
18,372 Posts
But the guy i was talking to told me its a rare collectors item and that i should hold on to it , because the serial number of the gun , when they run it back at sig it comes up as one that does have the rail on it but this one really dosent so its miss marked.
Being a collectors item is key in his phrase. As a collectors item, it will maintain the highest value in an unfired state. As is, if you have no such desire, you might offer it for sale, of course at a premium, to this person. Otherwise, take Sig up on their offer to make right on an apparent assembly mistake. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
substitution

Sure looks like some kind of switch somewhere.

Can you post a few nice pictures of this pistol? I also have a non-rail P229-9 and would like to see yours.

this is what mine looks like -

·
Premium Member
37,447 Posts
Sig is known to put out unique guns. Threads on this site have lots of examples. I can see where a unique or off model gun would have personality, but will never be more valuable because Sig does that a lot.
Since it is a 9mm, I would confirm as to if it is a 229-1 frame or the original frame. Some models still use the standard frame. In about 2010 or so, Sig made the 9mm frame the same size as the 229-40 and labeled the size 229-1. The 229-1 magazines are the same size as 40/357 magazines. Your mags will have on them either 229 or 229-1.
The smaller 9mm mag. will work in the 40 frame but is loose. I have one and use it at the range.
You paid for what you wanted. Sig needs to provide you will what you want. Once you shoot it is simply a used gun.
Good luck with it Sir.

·
Registered
223 Posts
My Bad no sleep and up late doesn't go well... as I read it know I know I screwed up about the serial number not being on the frame...

·
Registered
255 Posts
The same thing happened to me with my p229 in .40 that I bought this year. It says 229R but has no rail. I love it. I much prefer the non-railed SIGs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts