SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize I'm asking on a Sig forum, but you guys are smart enough to know that one brand isn't always the best answer. So, that considered, do you guys think there are better options available, or is the 320 the ideal way to venture into the poly/striker world?

I really don't know if I would ever drop $ on a plastic/striker fired gun, but I'm just curious about what you fine folks think.

Thanks.

·
Banned
6,262 Posts
I do think it is a good way to venture into the striker fire world; however, until someone takes the time to experience a number of models they really don't know which one is best for them. So many people go buy "X" gun b/c of what someone else told them, then they go shoot it and say "OH it's perfect for me". But how do they really know until they've compared them to other models?

I've shot every striker fire gun on the market except the PPQ, and I can say they're all very similar in terms of function. That is to say they all have consistent, although different, trigger pulls. They all recoil about the same, size to size comparisons where possible, and they all perform pretty much the same way. The primary differences come in the shape and angles of the grip, and the P320 is modular, which really does nothing to enhance the performance of the gun. It just makes it a neat way to switch them around sort of like Barbie Dolls for gun enthusiasts.

For me the best platform to break into the striker fire gun world is the Glock 19. It is the most popular and most utilized gun in the world, selling better than any 9mm. It wasn't the first gun Glock produced, but it is by far it's most sold gun. Then I would encourage a shooter to shoot a M&P, P320, VP9, XD, Beretta APX, FNS, and maybe a couple lower quality guns like the Diamondback 9 and the Ruger LC9s, although that is a pretty decent little gun.

There are many things to consider other than oh the gun shoots nice and smooth. Does it fit your hand well? Can you manipulate all the controls easily? Does it bite your finger when you're pulling the trigger, which could cause you to not want to shoot the gun? Any experienced and trained shooter is going to be able to pick any of these pistols up and shoot pretty much the same with them, so the question then becomes which do you like best. If you haven't taken time to experience all of them then you simply cannot know which you like the best, but if you do not want to do that, then sure...the P320 is a good way to go.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I do think it is a good way to venture into the striker fire world; however, until someone takes the time to experience a number of models they really don't know which one is best for them. So many people go buy "X" gun b/c of what someone else told them, then they go shoot it and say "OH it's perfect for me". But how do they really know until they've compared them to other models?

I've shot every striker fire gun on the market except the PPQ, and I can say they're all very similar in terms of function. That is to say they all have consistent, although different, trigger pulls. They all recoil about the same, size to size comparisons where possible, and they all perform pretty much the same way. The primary differences come in the shape and angles of the grip, and the P320 is modular, which really does nothing to enhance the performance of the gun. It just makes it a neat way to switch them around sort of like Barbie Dolls for gun enthusiasts.

For me the best platform to break into the striker fire gun world is the Glock 19. It is the most popular and most utilized gun in the world, selling better than any 9mm. It wasn't the first gun Glock produced, but it is by far it's most sold gun. Then I would encourage a shooter to shoot a M&P, P320, VP9, XD, Beretta APX, FNS, and maybe a couple lower quality guns like the Diamondback 9 and the Ruger LC9s, although that is a pretty decent little gun.

There are many things to consider other than oh the gun shoots nice and smooth. Does it fit your hand well? Can you manipulate all the controls easily? Does it bite your finger when you're pulling the trigger, which could cause you to not want to shoot the gun? Any experienced and trained shooter is going to be able to pick any of these pistols up and shoot pretty much the same with them, so the question then becomes which do you like best. If you haven't taken time to experience all of them then you simply cannot know which you like the best, but if you do not want to do that, then sure...the P320 is a good way to go.
Try the ppq and see what you think? I'm surprised you haven't tried one, being, it's at/near, the top of the heap.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
With the history of reliability and accuracy that has been established for polymer striker fired weapons, don't let the BS of the "metal only never plastic" crowd deter from experiencing some great weapons. Those folks are still producing copies for their meetings on a mimeograph machine and weaving their own cloth on a hand loom.

I love my metal guns. I also love my strikers.

any off the highly rated ones are all worth a try....of course you should start with the 320

·
Banned
6,262 Posts
Try the ppq and see what you think? I'm surprised you haven't tried one, being, it's at/near, the top of the heap.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
They only reason I have not yet is b/c I can't find one to rent. I just bought a VP9 (my second time doing so-traded the other one), and I did play quite extensively with the PPQ M2 to compare, but the VP9 just seems to fit me a little better. I may just have to bite the bullet, as it were, and buy one. I guess I could always sell or trade it, but I do like it from what I've been able to gather at the store. The HK seems to have a little better aftermarket support, which is another factor that I considered before buying it.

·
Banned
6,262 Posts
With the history of reliability and accuracy that has been established for polymer striker fired weapons, don't let the BS of the "metal only never plastic" crowd deter from experiencing some great weapons. Those folks are still producing copies for their meetings on a mimeograph machine and weaving their own cloth on a hand loom.

I love my metal guns. I also love my strikers.

any off the highly rated ones are all worth a try....of course you should start with the 320
This. Like to infinity and beyond!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I haven't shot every make of polymer-frame, striker-fired pistol, but I have shot a bunch including Glocks of various sizes and calibers, the HK VP9, various Rugers, various Kahrs, the Walther P99 and PPQ, some earlier generation Smith and Wesson M&Ps, Springfield XDs, and FN FNSs.

I have not been able to get my hands on a Steyr to actually shoot as yet, and have not seen or handled the new Beretta APX or the new offering from CZ.

Yes, my favorite is the SIG P320. It fits my hand the best, points naturally, has a good, predictable trigger and a predictable recoil impulse, and comes back on target quickly. The P320 is the first polymer-framed, striker-fired pistol I bought and remains the only one I own (I have two). Before I bought the first one, I had not owned a SIG Sauer and had no particular allegiance to the brand, although I had shot some classic P series all-metal SIGs and one or two SIG 1911s and enjoyed them.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I have had a Springfield XD Mod2, An M&P Performance center Shield 9, with a Jpoint, An M&P Performance Center Ported 9L with a Trijicon RM06 and a Glock 23, and a Glock 43, for polymer guns And a P320 RX. The Sig is the newest, and only about 1000 rounds since purchase a week ago. The SIG is my favorite. It is a little more snappy than the others, might be the slightly higher bore axis, might be just because I have less time with it. When I do everything right it is dead on and the only issues I've had were twice the slide didn't lock back on the last shot, and I could have had a thumb on the slide lock and not aware of it (lol like anyone would do it and be aware) The springfield felt like second best quality to the SIG, but the SIG just feels better made, and better thought out. M&P made a huge deal about slide removal without pulling the trigger, but there is a little wire lever to disconnect the sear, and sig has the same result but done with no effort. Truth is some end up not using the sear disconnect on the M&Ps and just pull the trigger, and who knows how many unintentional discharges won't be avoided that could have been? The Glocks just don't have the ergos that fit me, I don't care for their looks.

M&Ps are good shooters good ergos, and IMO very comfortable to shoot, not quite as accurate as the SIG, but they would be my recomendation for second to the SIG overall.

P320, best ergos, best performance, least comfortable (but don't take that wrong it's still plenty comfortable) Comfort not talking about ergos but felt recoil and snap, and I think a lot of that is the finger pinch, which the PELT trigger may have gotten rid of. SIG my favorite overall. I have the P320 RX, and I believe my M&P Shield is next to be replaced with the P320c RX with a sub compact grip module for EDC. Just a hint about how much I like the P320.

M&P second overall, second best ergos, second best performance, and most comfortable, regarding felt recoil, least quality feel (although still feels plenty good). Triggers tend to be spongey ( I don't care for their 2 piece hinged trigger)and gritty from the factory...Apex is the cure for that IMO.

Springfield, 3rd overall, second best quality feel, close 3rd ergos, and second comfort 3rd performance (for me)

Glock, last (for me) least favorite ergos, Equal quality feel to the M&P, least performance (for me) probably due to the ergos. If it doesn't feel good in my hand it's hard for me to shoot it well (and honestly I didn't even care) I didn't spend a lot of time with the Glocks, and wouldn't even pay attention to my opinion on them. the 43 was a tiny carry piece and it has an easy slide for my wife to rack, and it's her gun now. The Glock 23 was during the ammo shortage and was 40 cal so kind of apples and oranges as far as recoil and such.

As far as dropping $$ on a poly striker gun...the world isn't flat anymore, they now almost exclusively make boats from fiberglass, automatic transmissions are extremely popular, computers are very popular, TV is still around and in color...buy it or don't...but "I really don't know if I would ever drop $ on a plastic/striker fired gun" is kind of a closed minded statement, and the evidence is, they will be around for awhile and are widely accepted. :) we all have our opinions though, and I wouldn't spend my $$ on something I wasn't comfortable with either.

·
Banned
6,262 Posts
It fits my hand the best, points naturally, has a good, predictable trigger and a predictable recoil impulse, and comes back on target quickly.
Not to call out pblanc for anything, but here is a good example of the point I was trying to make earlier. This can be said of any one of the pistols on the market by someone. Everything he said here I say about the Glock 19, but everyone is different. After shooting the P320 I found that I really liked it. A lot, actually, but it didn't do any of these things mentioned above as well, and certainly not better, than the Glock 19 does for me.

As I mentioned, I recently purchased a VP9, and although it is a fantastic pistol in every aspect, the Glock 19 still feels better to me in each of the above referenced categories. For pblanc it is the P320, and that is the beauty of the market today. There are so many great options to choose from. The best part is finding out which model is best for you is a lot of fun! I have gone to a different gun at least four different times to see if it would work better for me than the G19 to include the M&P 9 Vickers tactical, Steyr S9, VP9, & the Sig P229 Legion. While all of these are fantastic pistols, none of them perform better for me than the G19 does, but I can do all these things well with each of them.

I've also carried the M&P 9 and 45, FNS 9, several P series Sigs, several 1911s and several other models of Glocks, which do not perform as well for me as the G19, but here's the point I'm making. Any gun you give the most time to is going to be the gun you shoot best with, even if another gun might be "better" for you. Good shooting is a lot more about the shooter than it is the gun, and given sufficient time any gun you choose will perform essentially the same for you wrt the categories mentioned above. How the gun performs is more a matter of how you perform b/c it will outperform you in the hands of a more skilled shooter, even if that shooter prefers a different gun.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Personally I have always really been a Striker Fire gun guy. I have tried hammer guns and just didn't like them as much.

I have always been a Glock guy. I shoot them well and have owned a number of different Glocks. My go to Glocks are the G19 and G34. I also use a M&P 9 for work. While I'm not a huge M&P pistol fan, I do shoot it just fine, just probably wouldn't buy one if it wasn't for work.

That said, I just bought my 1st Sig (P320c) and while I am early into it, I am REALLY liking it. I can actually see the P320's possibly taking over for my Glocks. I need to get a bunch of rounds through it and wring it out 1st... but so far it is looking very promising. If I do end up really liking it, I can see me getting a P320 Full Size or TacOps in the not too distant future.

I am also very interested in trying the CZ P10c that is coming out soon.

In the end, it comes down to what gun fits you and you like.... Everyone is different.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Thanks to GCBHM and steved for the great write ups.

The 320 is definitely my favorite at the moment, for the reasons already stated by others.

If you want a less expensive introduction, I would go for the Shield 9mm. They can be found for less than $325 if you look hard enough. Great gun, and I think it will serve a different role than the 320. So, you won't be spending on redundancy.

I have really enjoyed toggling between these two guns for my carry routine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks to GCBHM and steved for the great write ups.

The 320 is definitely my favorite at the moment, for the reasons already stated by others.

If you want a less expensive introduction, I would go for the Shield 9mm. They can be found for less than $325 if you look hard enough. Great gun, and I think it will serve a different role than the 320. So, you won't be spending on redundancy.

I have really enjoyed toggling between these two guns for my carry routine.
The Shield is a fantastic Concealed Carry gun. In fact, it's the only M&P that I like more than Glocks (I can't stand the G42/43's). I run one as my CC gun here in the summer in AZ. That said, it does have limitations, such as magazine size (7 or 8 rnds depending on the mag) but it also shoots amazing for the size. Being a single stack, it is very thin and easy to conceal. It's a balancing act between everything, and I feel the Shield does a great job at this balancing act. I carry my Shield with a 8rnd mag in it and carry an 10 rnd mag as a reload (HYVE +2 baseplate) so I am running 19 rounds when I carry it.

Right now, my other main CC gun is a G19, but I am going to be testing out my P320, which might push my G19 out of my main carry rotation.

I've never been a huge fan of the G26 size guns. Personally I'd rather go down to a Shield or up to a G19. That said, I still am planning on finding a Subcompact grip module for my P320c if nothing else, just to try out.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Pretty sure I've owned or own examples of just about all of the polymer striker fired handguns. Except for the FN so I can't factor that one in.

As far as my personal preference, I have to rank my Glock 19 at the top followed by the VP9 and the M&P 2.0 is likely my number three already even though I only have three hundred rounds through it.

I no longer own the P320.

Looking forward to taking the CZ P10C for a test drive as soon as I can get one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I owned a VP9 for about 1 week. Shot it one time, and didn't care for it.
If the VP9 is comparable, I'm thinking the 320 isn't for me.
I can't stand the VP9. Not really sure why, just don't like it. I know a lot of people that really like it. Not sure how "comparable" it is to the P320 except they are both striker fire guns. To me, they are very different. But... ;)

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.