SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I just got my new M11-A1. And I feel the trigger is kind of heavy especially the DA. I measured the trigger pull with a electronic scale and got the DA is 12-13 lbs and the SA is 5-6 lbs. And I know from sig specs the trigger pull should be 10/4.4 for DA/SA.

Is my trigger pull still normal for M11-A1? Or it is too heavy and I need to send my new M11-A1 back to sig for fixing?

Thank you.

·
Registered
55,918 Posts
i'm sure that the advertised 10/4.4 specs are average on a production firearm.

if you're on a digital scale you should've seen values to the 0.1 but you said 12-13 & 5-6 & i hope you took more than one measurement.

chances are that clean/lube/fire, repeat....pulls will get better.

welcome from az

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Welcome from PA!

New SIGs always break in time. Don't worry. M11-A1 is a great gun.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you guys for your rapid reply.

Yes, I did multiple measurements (about 10 times for each type). And the results are in the range 12.9-13.1 (DA) 5.4-5.5 (SA).

And it is almost 3 lbs more than the average for DA, is that still in the normal range from your experience? If the heavier trigger is only because the variation of the spring force , I can live with it. I am worry about the heavier trigger may be caused by some mechanical problem. What do you think?

Thank both of you again.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
It could be that the contact surfaces of the internal have to mate and wear in. That can be accomplished by lots of dry and/or live firing. Dry fire is less expensive but live fire is more fun. ;)
Also clean and lube the gun well - SIGs like to be run wet. Grease where it slides, oil where it rotates or pivots.

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
Clean, Lube, dry fire...shoot. Takes a while to wear down the rubbing surfaces, it sounds fine. I installed a Grayguns P-SAIT trigger in mine because I just don't like the stock trigger.

·
Registered
235 Posts
NOPE THAT IS AN UNSAFE WEAPON! Send it to me immediately for disposal!

but seriously....

I've had new Sig's including Legions come in REALLY high out of the box. With normal wear and lube in the weights should all relax at least half a pound or more.
The stock mainsprings are quite heavy and are the first thing that I replace in pretty much every hammer fired Sig I have with #17 or #19 springs.
I've had zero problems with #17 springs with the ammo I use and it will bring your single actions into the 3.5-4.5 range and DA into the 7-8.5 range which is really nice. For carry #19 is probably a safer bet.
It's one of the easiest modifcations and only requires you remove the grips and swap a spring. Just be sure to test function before you put the grips back on. If you unseat or dont re-seat the hammer strut the gun wont fire.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Welcome to SigTalk. Congrats on your new Sig. I'm sure your DA pull will fall within specs. It will get better. I hope you enjoy your new M11-A1. Greetings from the flat lands of Kansas.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Yes, this is normal for a Sig DA/SA, but it will loosen up as you shoot it. Check it every couple hundred rounds and I'll bet you'll notice a registered difference. Great gun!

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have read other people say the same thing about the M11's. The heavy pulls have been attributed to the phosphate coating the internals have on the M11's and the Sig P226's Mk25's. I've never shot one, so I can't say one way or the other. Just what I've seen other people say about them and report similar trigger pulls. if it bothers you, shoot the heck out of it, or take apart and polish, I mean polish only the contact points. I've done this, some non acetone nail polish remover to take off the black coating and then proceeded to polish the contact points. Some of my sigs have been improved more than others. They don't all magically feel loads better, but some do. Hope this helps.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
I have read other people say the same thing about the M11's. The heavy pulls have been attributed to the phosphate coating the internals have on the M11's and the Sig P226's Mk25's.
I've read the same, but I don't think there is any merit to it. I've handled so many different Sig P series guns, and they all tend to have the same pull weight unless it is a different system, like the SRT, etc. Then there tends to be some variance by my experience, but Sig installs heavy 20lb mainsprings at the factory, so the pulls are all going to be pretty heavy until they loosen up or are modified.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I had exactly the same problem with my M11-A1.
However; the trigger pull measured about the same as my two P226s.

I finally figured out the SRT (Short Reach Trigger) was the likely suspect. Although the trigger pull was the same, the shorter reach made me bend my finger back to pull, thus changing the geometry. The shorter fulcrum, not a tight spring, made it harder to pull.

In my case, I have long fingers, installing a Standard (Fat) trigger solved the issue.

Everybody's hands are different, and it may not help you. But here's something you might try. Wrap your trigger in electrical tape to increase the thickness to your guess of what a Fat trigger would be.

Is the trigger easier for you to pull? If so, maybe consider a Standard trigger. Changing to fatter grips will have the same effect. If not, confinue shooting or dry fire untill it gets easier to pull.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I had exactly the same problem with my M11-A1.
However; the trigger pull measured about the same as my two P226s.

I finally figured out the SRT (Short Reach Trigger) was the likely suspect. Although the trigger pull was the same, the shorter reach made me bend my finger back to pull, thus changing the geometry. The shorter fulcrum, not a tight spring, made it harder to pull.

In my case, I have long fingers, installing a Standard (Fat) trigger solved the issue.

Everybody's hands are different, and it may not help you. But here's something you might try. Wrap your trigger in electrical tape to increase the thickness to your guess of what a Fat trigger would be.

Is the trigger easier for you to pull? If so, maybe consider a Standard trigger. Changing to fatter grips will have the same effect. If not, confinue shooting or dry fire untill it gets easier to pull.
I don't believe a different trigger will change what its pulling on a gauge will it? I wouldn't think so, but I could be wrong. I see what you are saying with geometry of your finger, but the gauge can't tell the difference in feel. If the phosphate coating is coarse, I can see how it COULD give a higher pull weight. Then again, I've never handled one so I can't say of personal experience. I have 4 sigs, 2 old german, and 2 new sig factory couple years old.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have this same issue with my M11-A1. Trigger pull is in the same range as yours. My few year old P226 Elite and my brand new P229 SAS Gen 2 are much better and in the specified range. Trying to decide what to do with mine, might try ordering a 19# spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Mechanically speaking, the M11A1 is the same as other P229 DA/SA's with the exception of the phosphate finish which tend to be rougher and "crustier" than the standard SIG finish on these parts.

I found that my M11A1 DA trigger pull had a heavy, gritty feel to it when it was new but after thorough cleaning, lubrication and ~800 rounds fired (plus dry firing) it's as smooth as and no heavier than my other SIGs.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I have 2 M11A-1s

One is new. Shot once with the standard short reach trigger then bought the Armorycraft trigger in hopes of improving the DA pull.
It feels better but still very hard.
The SA breaks at 4 pounds even.
My RCBS trigger scale only goes to 8LBs but you can gauge to 10. This DA is so far from that I would suggest maybe 12-13

The other is a late 2012 early 2013 I bought used sold the original slide and bought a new 2016 slide.
The trigger is broken in nicely and is so much nicer than the new M11A-1.
Scale says about 9 DA and 4 SA

They do get better that is for sure

When running combat type drills I can hardly tell the difference between DA and SA!!

·
Premium Member
4,474 Posts
My neighbor became interested in CCW. I took him to our several LGS's and had him rent and fire several pistols.

He fell in love with the rental M11-A1 and insisted on buying a new one. Prior to taking him to the range I put him through a basic gun safety course

(he is former military and didn't need more than a refresher, mostly for my piece of mind)

and dry fire practice. He was very disappointed in the trigger pull weights in his new weapon. It measured out to about the same as yours.

I advised him to practice dry fire drills at home to see if it would loosen up. After a week of daily drills he came back to me and said that it

had loosened up and he was comfortable with it. Upon measuring it again, it was about the same as it was before. He had just become used to it.

IMHO if you practice extensive dry fire drills you may have the same results.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I recently purchased a new old stock M11-A1 (2013) and out of the box the trigger pull was heavy (11.6 DA & 5.4 SA). Stated pull weights are averages out of seven pulls with a digital scale. I went ahead and had a reputable gunsmith do his trigger work on it and it was returned with 8.8 DA & 3.3 SA. My trigger was originally very rough but now has a consistently smooth pull. As stated previous, you can work it out or have it worked on. Congrats on the new purchase. I love mine.

Reactions: winterwar

·
Registered
160 Posts
It's been said, but for a few bucks you can buy a 19lb mainspring and your trigger pull will drop dramatically. It will still get smoother and lighter with use, you will just have a lighter starting point.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts