SIG Talk banner

Is it just me? (Legion Sights)

3268 18
I have a P226 TACOPS that came with the Sig rear and a TFO front sight. It seems to be the best of both worlds. I picked up a P229 Legion and expected that it would have the same. Instead it has the full Sig sights on it. Despite the fact that the Legions are supposed to be a sort of top shelf, semi-custom deal, the sights feel like a downgrade to me. Is that just me or does it seem like Sig missed that?
Reactions: FLASIG
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
Agreed. A fiber optic sight, by its nature, is not as tough as the X-Ray sight. The X-Rays will holster and unholster better, too, since they don't produce such a big profile. I definitely wouldn't call them inferior- just different. And, the majority of Sig pistols come with conventional sights, not fiber optic.
It's a preference thing.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I thought that way too. Why not fiber optics? But it seems fiber is best suited for competition not combat. The Legions are supposed to be combat guns and those are very nice sights installed. I love fiber but the rod can be a bit fragile and is not really all that long lasting if you want to always have that brilliant spot. Having said that I think I will install a fiber front sight on my 1911 9mm--would have thought it would have a fiber front, but as others have mentioned, Sig just doesn't seem all that fond of fiber sights.

·
Registered
169 Posts
For my old eyes... I needed the fiber optic advantage. I swapped out my x-ray sights with the Truglo TFO sights front and rear.

I am not that rough on my gun, and it seems to be fine with holstering/unholstering. No issues...

I love them compared to the Xray sights, although the Xray sights are also quite fine.

·
Registered
747 Posts
For my old eyes... I needed the fiber optic advantage. I swapped out my x-ray sights with the Truglo TFO sights front and rear.

I am not that rough on my gun, and it seems to be fine with holstering/unholstering. No issues...

I love them compared to the Xray sights, although the Xray sights are also quite fine.
Tru Glo did it right with their TFO sights I think. Much more rugged as the light pipe is much better protected than other designs, although maybe not as bright. I had a set of Pro's installed on a SP2022 and really liked them.

I really like the fiber optic sight on my X-5, but there is a reason you are given replacement pipes.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for everyone's responses. I think the thing I missed is that the FOs are considered less rugged. The selection makes fine sense in that case.

I have not deluded myself into thinking I am that rugged (yet), so I'll be swapping my front out for the same TFO that's on my P226. I REALLY like how much better it shows up (most of my shooting is at the outdoor range here). Plus, Sig offers them as a front only, so I don't need to buy a whole set (I don't mind the rear XRAYs at all).

·
Registered
747 Posts
Thanks for everyone's responses. I think the thing I missed is that the FOs are considered less rugged. The selection makes fine sense in that case.

I have not deluded myself into thinking I am that rugged (yet), so I'll be swapping my front out for the same TFO that's on my P226. I REALLY like how much better it shows up (most of my shooting is at the outdoor range here). Plus, Sig offers them as a front only, so I don't need to buy a whole set (I don't mind the rear XRAYs at all).
Sounds like a great plan! I don't carry my Legion pistols either, so a set of fiber optic sights would work great for me too.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like a great plan! I don't carry my Legion pistols either, so a set of fiber optic sights would work great for me too.
I actually am planning to EDC my 229. However, I am willing to chance breakage of the TFO (with a Lasermax GR as backup and the stock XRAY floating as a swap) for the ease of shooting outdoors at the range with it.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
One thing to note that I don't think was mentioned. The fiber rods are super easy to replace and very cheap. A pack of a variety of colors is less than $15 on Amazon. They do dull over time so it's a good idea to replace them anyway. And you can try different colors to see what works best with your eyes.

·
Registered
491 Posts
TRUGLO TFO front sights are fiber optic with a Tritium insert for low light or night use. Very bright outdoors and at night. Very durable. Have them on my M1-A1 and P229 SAS.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I like the front x-ray sight on my legions, I bought a few extra sets for some of my other sigs but ended up just using the front as I didn't like the rounded shape and smaller dots of the rears. I also just bought a couple sets of TFX's and they are as bright in the dark but really shine in the daylight, I also like the white ring around the front compared to the plain TFO. I'd thought about just putting on the TFX front because they were described as a 6/8 set for sig but they are much taller than stock sig sights so that's out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.