SIG Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just think that it might be good for the recoil spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Just think that it might be good for the recoil spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, not unless you're going to strip the gun down with a degreaser and leave it bone dry, but wrt the recoil spring, it is not going to be hurt by storing the gun fully assembled. If you're going to store a gun for a long period of time, without periodic working/cleaning, it is best to grease it heavily and store it some place dry. Ever notice how a brand new gun is essentially caked with grease or thick oil? That is for the purpose of packing for long term storage, which is really the best way to preserve a firearm that you intend to put up for a while. Otherwise, clean/lube it normally and give it a light clean/lube ever so often, depending on the storage conditions. If damp then maybe every couple months, but if safe and dry upwards of six months with no use or exposure. Just depends on conditions.

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
Strip for Storage?

Not that it would hurt anything, but unnecessary IMO.

Even field stripped, there are a number of springs that would still be under tension so it really doesn't accomplish much, not that the mild constant tension is going to cause wear to the recoil spring.

Better to focus on cleaning, lubing and preserving the firearm and storing in a dry place.

·
Registered
22,188 Posts
I prefer a Grab and Go. Clean it then store it.
I agree. Recoil springs are better quality than a lot of magazine springs, plus they are cheap. Save storage space and the hassle and keep you pistol ready to use. ;)

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
That is just an invitation for Murphy to misplace/mix up parts. Field strip, use a good preservative, reassemble, wipe down with more lube/preservative, bag it with all of the magazines that go with the pistol and put it in the safe.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I don't really think that is a great idea. I try and keep my firearms clean and lubed but never store them field stripped. Don't really see any benefit to that. I do store all my firearms--except "combat ready" without magazines. Just a good safety tip I got in a class and have hung on to it. So if I pick up a gun in my house with a magazine in it I know it is loaded and ready to fire.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts