SIG Talk banner

Is gun age really a factor for EDC?

2138 Views 62 Replies 52 Participants Last post by  Chowda
My EDC is a Sig P6 (11-83) that has been worked over by Robert Burke, The Sig Armorer. I also had Mr. Burker fit a EFK Fire Dragon barrel as I want to preserve original barrel. This pistol just fits my grip and sight picture better than my other pistols (Sig P229 manufactured in 2017, and Taurus G3C manufactured in 2022). The pistol is as accurate as I can be. Another "gun expert" associate said I was wrong for depending on such an old gun for my EDC. He said I was putting my life at risk depending on a 40-year-old piece of metal that is probably suffering from fatigue and likely has hidden cracks. I didn't pursue this discussion much as I thought he lacked any validity. Now, I am curious as to whether there is any validity to his position. I can't find any real article on this subject. Is there any validity to this position. This pistol has been examined by a recognized expert armorer who said it is fine.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

· Registered
704 Posts
I would trust Robert Burke over a random "gun expert", unless that expert is Bruce Gray, Gerry Ritacco or someone of similar stature (which puts them onto Robert's level)!

A key element of gun durability and wear is rounds fired. If your P6 has 100k rounds, I'd make sure it was thoroughly assessed, perhaps by Sig (in addition to Robert). If it's a few thousand, it's still a youngster, and other than normal maintenance, is perfectly fine. In between - judgment call. In terms of 40 years of time passage, other than corrosion, I don't believe there's a deleterious aging process that the metals will undergo, given they are not under high stress (other than rounds fired).

If you are confident in the history of your gun, and have had it thoroughly checked by Robert, I'd say you are fine. I'm not a gunsmith however, so let's look for input from @Willard and our other Forum savants.

· Registered
4,417 Posts
....This pistol has been examined by a recognized expert armorer who said it is fine.
Assuming the 'recognized expert armorer' is Burke who you referenced above, I would take his advice. Do you know how many rounds you have through it?

· Registered
.357 sig
764 Posts
You have a quality pistol that doesn’t sound like it has been abused and really doesn’t have a lot of usage at 1100 rounds (by you). My 229 is almost 30 years old now and I never hesitate to carry it.
If you’re really concerned you could send it back to Mr Burke for a new look or maybe even call Sig CS and ask about a spa treatment.

· Registered
Remington, Dickinson, Radikal, Browning, Ruger PCC9, Security9, Sig P322, XD9 Mod 2, AM 15, LR308
159 Posts
I would trust Robert Burke over a random "gun expert", unless that expert is Bruce Gray, Gerry Ritacco or someone of similar stature (which puts them onto Robert's level)!

A key element of gun durability and wear is rounds fired. If your P6 has 100k rounds, I'd make sure it was thoroughly assessed, perhaps by Sig (in addition to Robert). If it's a few thousand, it's still a youngster, and other than normal maintenance, is perfectly fine. In between - judgment call. In terms of 40 years of time passage, other than corrosion, I don't believe there's a deleterious aging process that the metals will undergo, given they are not under high stress (other than rounds fired).

If you are confident in the history of your gun, and have had it thoroughly checked by Robert, I'd say you are fine. I'm not a gunsmith however, so let's look for input from @Willard and our other Forum savants.
Why Trust anyone? It's you're choice

· Premium Member
113 Posts
My EDC is a Sig P6 (11-83) that has been worked over by Robert Burke, The Sig Armorer. I also had Mr. Burker fit a EFK Fire Dragon barrel as I want to preserve original barrel. This pistol just fits my grip and sight picture better than my other pistols (Sig P229 manufactured in 2017, and Taurus G3C manufactured in 2022). The pistol is as accurate as I can be. Another "gun expert" associate said I was wrong for depending on such an old gun for my EDC. He said I was putting my life at risk depending on a 40-year-old piece of metal that is probably suffering from fatigue and likely has hidden cracks. I didn't pursue this discussion much as I thought he lacked any validity. Now, I am curious as to whether there is any validity to his position. I can't find any real article on this subject. Is there any validity to this position. This pistol has been examined by a recognized expert armorer who said it is fine.
I see way more posts about failures in striker fired plastic guns than classic P series on this sight…

· Registered
240 Posts
I still carry a 36 year old Colt Mustang on occasion.
I have a P238 Legion and a P938 Legion but I really like the all SS Pony. I carry it mostly in and around the house and when walking the dog around the neighborhood.
When I leave the neighborhood I take my 45 Colt Defender or my P229 Legion.

· Registered
215 Posts
Well, it sounds like the number of rounds through it is negligible, so you can dismiss fatigue and wear. I’ll tell you as a metallurgical engineer that the passage of time changes nothing whatsoever, assuming it hasn’t been sitting around with corrosive chemicals on it for years (very unlikely). It’s not going to explode due to old age! If it gives you peace, have Robert Burke replace the springs. I’m skeptical about springs relaxing just sitting there, but it can’t hurt and wont break the bank. Enjoy and trust your classic Sig.

· Premium Member
10,497 Posts
You're fine.

US armed forces has probably fielded guns that are just as old or older with more wear and tear on them.

· Registered
87 Posts
He said I was putting my life at risk depending on a 40-year-old piece of metal that is probably suffering from fatigue and likely has hidden cracks.
Did the 'expert' inspect it, have any factual basis...or just a moistened finger in the breeze? With 'little wear' and a 1,100 or so rounds, it's just past broken-in in my book. Freshen the springs and don't look back.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts