SIG Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tend to be a loyal fan-boy type of buyer. By that I mean; I'll research a product, pick a brand, and stick with it hell or high water. I recognize that most will see this as highly illogical. But in a world where there is always something new, always a better product, always the next big thing, I find solace in just sticking with a thing and adapting it to my needs.

That being said... I have never handled the Arex handgun and don't intend to buy one, but I've been seeing a lot about it. It entered the market as a Sig clone and has gained a lot of momentum. Do any of you feel that this new competitor will have an effect on Sig Sauer? Possibly a decrease in Sig's prices since the Arex guns are cheaper?

I'll be sticking with Sig as they've not let me down thus far, but I'm curious to hear y'alls opinions.

·
Banned
7,276 Posts
No.
I think something like CZ (established brand turning out top shelf product at "more reasonable" prices) and the overall market condition (less demand than yesterday) would have more of an effect on Sig's prices than a clone. But with their new dod contract, I don't think we'll see much price cutting.

·
Banned
7,276 Posts
take a look at the canik line & look at some reviews.
I've a friend that brings them up nearly every time we talk. When I scratch my budget ar itch, canik may be sought if I develop a budget pistol itch.

Reactions: bearone2

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,034 Posts
Does anyone remember the Astra A-100? A double stack .45, with de-cocker, that looked like a Sig, but well before the P227... also included 9mm and .40 S&W versions, starting with the A-80, and A-90 models. They were not a hindrance to Sig, and they had been a well established manufacture...

Attachments

Reactions: Raven312

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
LOL - NO!

AREX is not a SIG clone. It is a SIG look alike and IMO way overpriced considering the alternatives. It is priced at the same level as such proven pistols as the CZ 75 series, and Beretta 92 series as far as hammer fired metal frame pistols and at the same price as the HK P2000 as far as an extremely proven poly frame hammer fired pistol. I believe very very few are going to choose an AREX over a Beretta 92FS/M9 or CZ such as the CZ 75B, SP01, P01, or PCR.

One user on another forum got one that was DOA out of the box and they refused to pay shipping for warranty service. Such crappy service and wondering about their long term viability and how it relates to parts and service should be a concern to anyone looking to maybe buy one.

Being that the AREX is a yet unproven pistol with virtually no track record, I would much rather take my chances with a Canik or SAR pistol that are often available in the low $300 price range and sometimes even less if I wanted an import. Like it or not striker fired pistols are in much much higher demand than hammer fired pistols. All the big players now have a striker fired pistol with Beretta and CZ being the last into the game. A company starting out making just hammer fired pistol is going to have a very difficult time surviving.

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
I've handled the AREX, based on the video MAC did, and by my estimation it is nothing more than a large, clunky replica of a Sig designed to lure and capture those who want a P226, but can't afford one. It is in no way competition to Sig.

·
🎖USA Veteran
3,028 Posts
I learned my lesson a few years back with a Bersa. I will not buy another firearm without first checking out the support provided within the USA by the manufacturer.

I do not know about Arex, Canik or even CZ. I have heard very good things about CZ, and even the best of firearms can have a problem and require warranty or future service support.

Bersa had contractor support set-up for warranty work in the USA, but it was not manufacturer direct support. I had to pay for sending the pistol to a contractor, and it was not there priority. It took close to 40 days to received the pistol back with a very minor part breaking. I had fired less than 20 rounds in a pistol that was two days old.

My only other experiences were with Remington and SCCY. Both paid or would of paid for return to the factory and both were extremely quick about return of the firearm. I said would of paid since I was in Daytona Beach at the time and swung by SCCY. They took my old pistol I purchased used and handed me a brand new one in replacement.

All of the long winded above wording is a caution to check out the availability of warranty work from Non-USA manufacturers.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
I handled an Arex and then bought a P226.

On the Canik issue. They are nice enough guns but are clones, and then modifications of, the Walther P99. The P99 has been one of my carry weapons for some time. In examining the Canik it has one nice addition - ambi decocker. Other than that the fit, finish, handling, and trigger are all better on the P99AS. It's not a bad weapon, and for $350ish it has some appeal. But if you hunt you can find the real-thing for $450ish instead.

On the issue of SAR guns, also from Turkey, the K2-45 I have has the nicest DA/SA trigger out of the box I have used that wasn't from Walther of SIG. Big, heavy, double stack, all steel, and can be carried cocked & locked. It's my only 45ACP and not a carry weapon for me but its been 100% reliable out of the box and surprisingly accurate and soft shooting.

Reactions: Raven312

·
Registered
121 Posts
Does anyone remember the Astra A-100? A double stack .45, with de-cocker, that looked like a Sig, but well before the P227... also included 9mm and .40 S&W versions, starting with the A-80, and A-90 models. They were not a hindrance to Sig, and they had been a well established manufacture...
I was going to mention this as well... The A100 was not the only model Astra made that was Sig-like. The A80 and 90 were also clones of the P220. I had an A75 for a while actually, which, while not being a clone of a Sig (or any other gun I could recognize), was actually a pretty good gun, albeit being made out of solid steel, and feeling like a lead brick in your hands. It was very close in size and shape to a P229, and was a single-stack 45. However, was it anywhere near the quality of a Sig? Absolutely not.

Personally, I have stopped buying the cheap handguns that are on the market based on the concept that they are clones or copies of more robust and recognizable brands. I still buy these guns from time to time, but I buy them for what they offer, and based on the individual characteristics of the product. I never bought the Astra, Canik, FMK, or SCCY pistols I've owned because I wanted a Sig, a Walther, a Glock 19, or a Kel-Tec P11, I just wanted them. That said, some of these off-brand guns are excellent as is the case with the Astra A75, Canik TP9 or the FMK 9C1G2 (mine was great at least, the general consensus though is that they are hit or miss), or terrible like the SCCY.

The bottom line here is that brand recognition is key in the firearms industry. The big makers will always have their followers, fanboys, and haters, and the smaller, and lesser known makers will find their niche, i.e. people like me . I feel it would take a product of extraordinary or revolutionary design and value to really upset a major manufacturer's business.

With all that said, I have never heard of AREX, so thanks, now I have another manufacturer to look into....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
440 Posts
My A-75 is one of my favorite guns. Great DA trigger, almost as good as my P220 DAK. It's very accurate and I like the heft of it. Quite a few people have bought A-75's after shooting mine. I've owned 2 Astra A-80s an A-90 and also a A-100. The A-100 was one of the best deals I've ever done on Gunbroker. I bought the gun, in the box, with 3 mags for $269. The seller claimed it had a "speckling" of rust on it, but it was just dried up polishing compound that the gun was loaded with inside. After a good cleaning, it was in 99% condition and shot great. I needed cash a couple of years ago, and sold the A-100 for almost $500. I couldn't believe it.

So far, I've had very good luck with the Turkish guns. My SAR K2 45, K2P, and CM9 G2 have all been perfect. My Canik TP9v2 has also been great. The jury is still out on my SAR SR 38 revolver, but so far so good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.