SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone working on or trying to produce a machined (instead of formed) P320 Fire Control Unit (FCU) frame? Something that could take normal SIG action parts?

Something produced through milling would have stability and precision and could contribute considerably to accuracy of a P320...

Reactions: e18cb931

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
And the cost would be ????????????? I am a journeyman tool and die maker and the advancement in stamping technology over the past 15 years brings it very close to machining. Just think about how accurate the 320 and 365 platform weapons are. They rival or in some cases out perform their hammer fired counterparts. I’m a diehard Sig hammer fired pistol fanboy but I’ve owned both the 320 & 365 and in their current configuration they are hard to beat.

·
Registered
220 Posts
And the cost would be ????????????? I am a journeyman tool and die maker and the advancement in stamping technology over the past 15 years brings it very close to machining. Just think about how accurate the 320 and 365 platform weapons are. They rival or in some cases out perform their hammer fired counterparts. I’m a diehard Sig hammer fired pistol fanboy but I’ve owned both the 320 & 365 and in their current configuration they are hard to beat.
they are, BUT if the 320 got the slide rails like the 365 it would make it a little better!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Is anyone working on or trying to produce a machined (instead of formed) P320 Fire Control Unit (FCU) frame? Something that could take normal SIG action parts?

Something produced through milling would have stability and precision and could contribute considerably to accuracy of a P320...
I'm willing to bet that the 320 as it stands is more accurate than the majority of shooters.

·
Registered
346 Posts
If it could be shown to have a measurable improvement in accuracy then it would depend on what the price was.

Compared to what I already spend on guns and ammo it may not be that big a deal... lol...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Can't see this as being worth the time and trouble, especially since it is also the serial numbered part and would have to be hand fitted to a specific slide and barrel combination to remove the little play that is there.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
The proverbial silk purse out of a sow's ear... Plastik Pistolen were never designed, nor conceived as match target-grade bullseye pistols. They do very well at what they were designed for: Combat. If you want a combat pistol capable of match-grade, X-ring accuracy at 50 meters, get a P210 - or a custom 1911 built by someone who knows their way around the design. The P210 will be cheaper.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes... And it would be a precision FCU... perhaps with a longer axis of higher precision slide mating surfaces...

Reactions: TheRealMikeSpindle

·
Registered
346 Posts
The proverbial silk purse out of a sow's ear... Plastik Pistolen were never designed, nor conceived as match target-grade bullseye pistols. They do very well at what they were designed for: Combat. If you want a combat pistol capable of match-grade, X-ring accuracy at 50 meters, get a P210 - or a custom 1911 built by someone who knows their way around the design. The P210 will be cheaper.
Yes, the P320 should just stay in it's lane. How dare we contemplate improving upon Sig's pinnacle of plastic perfection.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you saying, like CNC machining out of solid billet? That would be awesome. The could call it the Sig P320 FCU-Premium if through Sig.
The part could be investment cast, saving cost and improving uniformity of the metal (over forging), then milled and hardened.

I can't imagine production cost would be much higher than pricing of the formed steel frame currently in usage. If produced as a gunsmith kit, hand mating with the slide and final finishing and assembly would be a service offering.

Reactions: TheRealMikeSpindle

·
Registered
220 Posts
the P210 and 1911 were designed for combat..

The X-Five and Legion models are damn accurate, heck even Glocks can be made to be damn accurate for not a lot of money.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
the P210 and 1911 were designed for combat..

The X-Five and Legion models are damn accurate, heck even Glocks can be made to be damn accurate for not a lot of money.
Even so, irrespective of the amount of money your FCU, they will never be able to be smithed/made to be as accurate as a P210 or 1911 - nor will it ever have the quality/feel of a single action 1911 or P210 trigger. If they could, they would be showing up at the bullseye matches. The Plastik Pistolen are generally able to shoot inside an 8" circle or better at 50 yards. That's good combat accuracy, and that is what a rack-grade 1911 was required to do with general-issue (not match) ball ammo in 1911...

I'll say no more on this subject, as I consider it to be a waste of time. It is fun to read about, as there seem to be no end of folks who will spend tidy sums on gizmos to make their rosco infinitessimally "better", but would have better, measureable, results with a stock gun had they spent their time and money taking it to a class at Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, SIG Academy, etc.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Even so, irrespective of the amount of money your FCU, they will never be able to be smithed/made to be as accurate as a P210 or 1911 - nor will it ever have the quality/feel of a single action 1911 or P210 trigger. If they could, they would be showing up at the bullseye matches. The Plastik Pistolen are generally able to shoot inside an 8" circle or better at 50 yards. That's good combat accuracy, and that is what a rack-grade 1911 was required to do with general-issue (not match) ball ammo in 1911...

I'll say no more on this subject, as I consider it to be a waste of time. It is fun to read about, as there seem to be no end of folks who will spend tidy sums on gizmos to make their rosco infinitessimally "better", but would have better, measureable, results with a stock gun had they spent their time and money taking it to a class at Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, SIG Academy, etc.
for someone who continues to crap on the, as you put it “plastik pistolen,” why are you even in this section of the forum?

Oh to add, no matter how nice your P210 or 1911 are, they are no where near as accurate or have as nice of a trigger than the olympic target pistols. Ask me how I know... So how about this, go stay in the forum section of pistols you actually like instead of showing yourself in threads that no one asked you for your opinion on since you obviously do not like polymer hand guns by the constant sh¡tting you like to do.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I am no stranger to Olympic-grade target pistols, be they "free" pistols or semi-autos such as the indomitable Walthers (GSP/OSP/SSP), Benelli, Domino, FAS, Pardini,, Unique, etc. I find them interesting, but do not compete in thise disciplines. OTOH, I have been a user of Plastik Pistolen since they first appeared and have carried one or another in Harm's Way since the late 1980's, when single-action autos were declared verboten for duty carry by my agency. I carred a G22 as my primary sidearm for work and took that to Gunsite in 1993, where it was dismissively called, "tupperware" on the first day. After winning the class shootoff on my way to earning an E-ticket, Glock pistols were thenceforth declared, "Combat Tupperware" by Bill Jeans and John Bowman, then the Operations Manager and Rangemaster, respectively. I have carried HK pistols (Hk45, Hk45C, P30, and P2000SK), as well as dallied with various iterations of the P320 series in my travels around the hemisphere - in actual harms way rather than someone LARPING around their mom's basement or on the 'net, so I would say I have earned/paid the price of admission to these boards.

As someone who professes familiarity with Olympic-grade target (not combat) pistols, do you really believe that any of the Plastik pistolen are capable of such accuracy or that of the P210, or the 1911 and CZ75/85 platforms - which continue to dominate the other shooting disciplines? Do you really believe that spending hundreds of dollars more on a "precision" P320 fire control unit will make it so? I once attended a Pat Rogers Carbine class where the top shooter was using a borrowed, stock 16" Bushmaster carbine with iron sights and G.I. type forend and buttstock... once again, proving that it is the shooter, not the equipment, that really matters. I stand by my statement that the majority of folks on these boards (including myself) would derive far more benefit by spending the money on training from a school/trainer of recognized ability than modifications of dubious efficacy and acquiring more trigger time, rather than keyboard time. Again, YMMV.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I am no stranger to Olympic-grade target pistols, be they "free" pistols or semi-autos such as the indomitable Walthers (GSP/OSP/SSP), Benelli, Domino, FAS, Pardini,, Unique, etc. I find them interesting, but do not compete in thise disciplines. OTOH, I have been a user of Plastik Pistolen since they first appeared and have carried one or another in Harm's Way since the late 1980's, when single-action autos were declared verboten for duty carry by my agency. I carred a G22 as my primary sidearm for work and took that to Gunsite in 1993, where it was dismissively called, "tupperware" on the first day. After winning the class shootoff on my way to earning an E-ticket, Glock pistols were thenceforth declared, "Combat Tupperware" by Bill Jeans and John Bowman, then the Operations Manager and Rangemaster, respectively. I have carried HK pistols (Hk45, Hk45C, P30, and P2000SK), as well as dallied with various iterations of the P320 series in my travels around the hemisphere - in actual harms way rather than someone LARPING around their mom's basement or on the 'net, so I would say I have earned/paid the price of admission to these boards.

As someone who professes familiarity with Olympic-grade target (not combat) pistols, do you really believe that any of the Plastik pistolen are capable of such accuracy or that of the P210, or the 1911 and CZ75/85 platforms - which continue to dominate the other shooting disciplines? Do you really believe that spending hundreds of dollars more on a "precision" P320 fire control unit will make it so? I once attended a Pat Rogers Carbine class where the top shooter was using a borrowed, stock 16" Bushmaster carbine with iron sights and G.I. type forend and buttstock... once again, proving that it is the shooter, not the equipment, that really matters. I stand by my statement that the majority of folks on these boards (including myself) would derive far more benefit by spending the money on training from a school/trainer of recognized ability than modifications of dubious efficacy and acquiring more trigger time, rather than keyboard time. Again, YMMV.
you seem to be spending an awful lot of time on the keyboard yourself, spreading the word of the heretics of using a polymer handgun.. If you truly think that the polymer handguns are not going to be beating the P210, 1911, CZ75 here pretty soon well then I don’t know what else to say other than it will happen. Look at the STI 2011 which is part polymer. Technology is improving everyday and the envelope keeps getting pushed. It is not a matter of if but when.

And that is coming from someone who shot competitively with air and free pistol. So you can keep spouting off about your long list of achievements but it will be a matter of time when it is going to be a level playing field.

So what is it, first you say a polymer handgun is not in the same playing field as a P210/1911/CZ75 and then you turn around and say it is not the equipment but rather the shooter? Because based off of that, as long as the pistols perform to a standard accuracy at set distance it will not matter. You are harping about LARPing which no one here is even talking about, people spending a couple hundred dollars on their polymer pistol to make them better when how much does a match P210/1911/CZ75 go for??? It is the drive to continue to make things better that will benefit the firearms, instead of your naysayer attitude that I will say you sound like the old people at the drag strip saying a Japanese import car will never beat a classic muscle car on the 1/4 mile, til they did.

ETA: there was a time when the P210, 1911, and CZ75 were just combat pistols with combat accuracy....

1 - 20 of 42 Posts