SIG Talk banner

Is a P365 the Right Choice?

2408 47
I guess that this dead horse has been sufficiently beaten... but, I am asking anyway. I have been doing a good bit of reading and believe that the P365 us the best guns for our needs.

Most of you guys know that I have been a SIG fanatic (and "gun snob" for decades. I have carried a German P228 as my OC EDC gun for years and still believe it to be one of the best guns ever made. Having said that... after a total shoulder replacement surgery, I am having issues drawing the P228. It is mainly being able to draw to the height of clearing the holster. A "drop leg" holster is a great solution, but don't want to look like a tacticool "Rambo" while going through my daily routine. I have compromised and have been carrying a W.German P230 since the surgery. I have been looking at the P365 Macro as a viable solution. I have gone to the range and borrowed a P365 on a couple of occasions and it seem to be that for which I have been searching.

Part II

My wife has taken up running in the past couple of years and is looking for something light that won't "print". She has carried a Ruger LCP .38 Special for several years as a CC "purse gun". It is hammerless with the Pachmeyer grips. She loves the gun but it "prints" while she is running, even with a "belly band" holster. She has been considering something a little flatter and light weight. As I mentioned above, we have gone to the range a couple of times and she has had a chance to get ~100 rds down range and she seems to shoot the gun fairly well. She loves the size of the P365 in spite of me recommending the P356 XL due to the increased capacity.

What is the consensus of the hive? Are there other guns we should consider? Anything else we should know before "pulling the trigger" (no pun intended. Should we buy new or used? Who has the best price.

As always, I appreciate the input and suggestions are always welcome
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
My wife carries the same revolver and I would prefer she had 10 rounds of 9mm instead of 5 rounfs 38 special.

If the 365 allows her a full 3 finger grip, get her an early Christmas present. If she wants a larger grip later they are cheap. My opinion, which is worth what you paid for it, is the 365 platform, in its many variant, is the best concealed carry platform for 90% of the population that has ever been created. It is the gold standard.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
If the 365 allows her a full 3 finger grip, get her an early Christmas present. If she wants a larger grip later they are cheap. My opinion, which is worth what you paid for it, is the 365 platform, in its many variant, is the best concealed carry platform for 90% of the population that has ever been created. It is the gold standard.
Well said...It is a personal choice. Let her pick. I know I can't pick anything right for my wife!!! If you pick and she doesn't like it then she may not carry it.

·
Registered
727 Posts
"The right gun?"
It sure sounds like you're going about the selection process the right way. It's what ever you arrive at I guess.

The popular consensus is that the p365 is breaking all records with sales right now. Pretty tough to dispute that.

Have you given consideration to the manual safety version? I know they are making several different barrel and grip components too.

I'm not qualified to issue a personal recommendation because for various reasons it's not the perfect fit for me....but it's you and your wife.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Is your wife the type that will practice malfunction drills, or just say the gun doesn't work and hand it back to you. It's not just a matter of having more rounds, ALL semi autos can malfunction and learning how to clear it quickly is a big part of carrying the weapon for self defense.

I would rather have my wife carry a 5 shot 38 that she can shoot, than a 10 shot 9mm that she doesn't know how to clear if it malfunctions.

·
Registered
P365X
35 Posts
Given the modularity of the platform, it would be an excellent choice. 365 for the wife, 365x or xl for you. If she finds the non-x grip module is too small, $50 plus a few more mags (assuming you can find them) gets her a p365x. I'd wager the regular p365 (non-x/xl) will be a goldilocks for her for the belly band carry.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have compromised and have been carrying a W.German P230...
My friend, his wife and myself have also carried and preferred the P230 for its size and capability. And also because it is an all metal pistol with single/double action. That being said, I tried a P365 but ended up getting a P365X. The P365 grip was just a little too small/uncomfortable for my hand. When my friend, who hates plastic guns, fired it, he loved it. So much so, that he bought one too. And it has become his carry gun also.

Great design and modular to customize it to your liking. There's also a ton of accessories/support for it. I really like it for its capacity/capability, accuracy (for a carry gun), and weight. For me it's a carry gun and nothing fancy... Wish it was single/double with a decocker, but I have since stopped looking for something to carry.

As a side note, after about 1200 rds or more, zero failures. Zero. Same thing with my friend. When is the last time that happened?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I know I wouldn’t want go on a run with the weight of my loaded 365 bouncing around on me in a Fanny pack or otherwise. Maybe one of those tight base layer tops that have the pocket handy for an armpit draw with her LCP?

·
Premium Member
P365 with Wilson Combat XL grip frame
105 Posts
For you I think the P365 is a no-brainer and even better if you decide it is not for you this forum would be a good place to sell it.

I know everyone here loves Sigs and the P365 might be too big for your wife, especially if she is a runner. Another option to consider is the LCP Max.

She would have 10 or 12 rounds and eliminate almost all of the printing problems.

Below is a review of the LCP Max from a female.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I carry the 365 everyday. I don't think you can go wrong. Light, concealable, and modular options to fit your grip and capacity preferences.

But fully loaded it might be too heavy for running. The standard model with 10 rd mag maybe. I pocket carry mine on long bike rides but carry a lcp when running.

·
🎖USMC Veteran
260 Posts
Everyone has their requirements and ERGO needs
With that said I EDC and P365 TACPAC everyday in every scenario, work in plants, dress formal events, running, weight training, Wilson Combat Grip Module and 12 Round Mag Very accurate and reliable multiple years of use in my case.

Look at 380’s out there as well, light smaller easy to EDC with little printing. My comment is a small gun like 365 hides very well pocket, AIWB, belly holster etc…. Most people pay no attention so if it’s comfortable to you good to go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The P365 you can get a 12 round and a 15 round magazine and from what I’ve read eventually a 17 round magazine. So more capacity isn’t really an issue up to 15+1 rounds at the moment. I carry my P365 with a 12 round magazine and a 15 round backup magazine. My 10 rounders only ever go into the gun if I need to pocket carry.

Personally I think these high capacity micro guns are the way to go for conceal carry. Lighter to carry on body than a metal frame gun, the capacity many people want in a conceal carry gun, and the recoil isn’t horrible.

I’m hoping to get my wife to the range when they hopefully get a S&W Equalizer for rent so she can try it. She has trouble racking the slide on my P365, so I think the Equalizer would be a better gun for her as it has their EZ technology in more of a compact size with the capacity of a Shield Plus.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
My wife has taken up running in the past couple of years and is looking for something light that won't "print". She has carried a Ruger LCP .38 Special for several years as a CC "purse gun".
I think you meant LCR

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
I second taking a look at the Ruger LCP MAX, but I still think even a M&P9 Shield variant is a great running and/or biking option (or an M&P Bodyguard 380 which I've run with as well). Heck, I literally used to run/bike with a G19.

These days I have a Ruger LCP II because it's even smaller than the MAX for such activities, but some people aren't comfortable with not having a manual safety or only six or seven rounds (depending if you run with a round chambered). I have days like that when I carry my Shield which has a—in my opinion—wonderfully flush manual safety. I just throw in my belly band. It can print a little, but I really don't care.

My G19 used to print, but again, I didn't care. I don't think any non-gun owners ever took noticed and I ran that way until I eventually bought pocket pistols. The Bodyguard is a good option if she can handle DAO. In fact, it's a wonderful DAO trigger, but I just can't shoot it as rapidly because subsequent shots require letting the trigger all the way out (and I'm not Jerry Miculek). The LCP II/MAX is about as long a reset as I can shoot relatively fast.

Anyway, I like the Rugers, especially the triggers on the LCP II and LCP MAX. Moreover, six seven rounds of STANDARD pressure Underwood XD .380 rounds are enough for me if I'm just out walking my dogs, running or biking around the neighborhood.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I guess that this dead horse has been sufficiently beaten... but, I am asking anyway. I have been doing a good bit of reading and believe that the P365 us the best guns for our needs.

Most of you guys know that I have been a SIG fanatic (and "gun snob" for decades. I have carried a German P228 as my OC EDC gun for years and still believe it to be one of the best guns ever made. Having said that... after a total shoulder replacement surgery, I am having issues drawing the P228. It is mainly being able to draw to the height of clearing the holster. A "drop leg" holster is a great solution, but don't want to look like a tacticool "Rambo" while going through my daily routine. I have compromised and have been carrying a W.German P230 since the surgery. I have been looking at the P365 Macro as a viable solution. I have gone to the range and borrowed a P365 on a couple of occasions and it seem to be that for which I have been searching.

Part II

My wife has taken up running in the past couple of years and is looking for something light that won't "print". She has carried a Ruger LCP .38 Special for several years as a CC "purse gun". It is hammerless with the Pachmeyer grips. She loves the gun but it "prints" while she is running, even with a "belly band" holster. She has been considering something a little flatter and light weight. As I mentioned above, we have gone to the range a couple of times and she has had a chance to get ~100 rds down range and she seems to shoot the gun fairly well. She loves the size of the P365 in spite of me recommending the P356 XL due to the increased capacity.

What is the consensus of the hive? Are there other guns we should consider? Anything else we should know before "pulling the trigger" (no pun intended. Should we buy new or used? Who has the best price.

As always, I appreciate the input and suggestions are always welcome
I think the 365-380 would be a great choice for your wife. I (3) 365s and like them all for differ reasons. The 365 for CC, 365XL for carry, accuracy and the 365p380 for ultimate Cc. There are not many 380s out there I have found with 12 round mags, and concealability as the 365-380. I compared my 380 thunder which holds 7 rounds, and it is bigger than my sig 380, Both thinker and longer. Lots of choices out there but whatever floats your boat?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts