SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.....there was an article in the paper locally here in Indiana that a apartment tenant discovered bullet holes entering and exiting his apartment.

He contacted LE who determined that his next door neighbor had an accidental discharge of a handgun which went though the neighbors apartment into a third apartment and lodged in an appliance.

The gun owner was charged with some form of reckless endangerment (I get that) AND unlawful possession of a handgun without a handgun license.

I don't get the second charge...and it has me a bit worried as my wife doesn't have a handgun license. Is there any way (let's say I died for instance) where she would be in trouble just for having a handgun with no license.

I always thought the permit was only required for concealed carry. I'm just confused by this.

Thoughts?

Phil

·
Registered
441 Posts
id have to imagine this implies the handgun was acquired thoug some illegal means? not registered to the holder via FFL transfer

·
Registered
724 Posts
So.....there was an article in the paper locally here in Indiana that a apartment tenant discovered bullet holes entering and exiting his apartment.

He contacted LE who determined that his next door neighbor had an accidental discharge of a handgun which went though the neighbors apartment into a third apartment and lodged in an appliance.

The gun owner was charged with some form of reckless endangerment (I get that) AND unlawful possession of a handgun without a handgun license.

I don't get the second charge...and it has me a bit worried as my wife doesn't have a handgun license. Is there any way (let's say I died for instance) where she would be in trouble just for having a handgun with no license.

I always thought the permit was only required for concealed carry. I'm just confused by this.

Thoughts?

Phil
Varies from state to state. In Maine if you are at least 21 (or active military) you can own and carry without a permit as long as you are not a 'prohibited person'

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
The laws in Indiana seem pretty clear that you don’t need a license to own a firearm.
There may be more to that story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
683 Posts
I believe many firearms laws are very State-specific. And in some cases there may ALSO be County and Local laws.
You can usually download your State firearms laws. But remember, just because it's OK in one jurisdiction, doesn't mean it's OK in another.

By obtaining a CC Permit, you're usually better off.
Although my Wife doesn't carry, she does have her CCW permit and an awareness of gun safety and procedures in case as Executor she's responsible for my Firearms and Ammo.

·
Registered
549 Posts

Thoughts?

Phil
As another Indiana resident, I can tell you very firmly that your wife does NOT need the Indiana License to Carry Handgun. Any lawful person may own any legal firearm. They may transport them to and from gun stores, gunsmiths, shooting ranges, et al. The ONLY time a person is required to have a LTCH is when they are carrying a HANDGUN and they are not on their private property, eg conceal carry anywhere away from home.

Here are some good links -

http://iga.in.gov/static-documents/6/c/b/b/6cbb10c7/TITLE35_AR47_ch2.pdf

https://www.in.gov/isp/firearms.htm

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
10,817 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Indiana Code 35-47-2-1, instead of going off of 20+ year old guidance, this may help... https://law.justia.com/codes/indiana/2017/title-35/article-47/chapter-2/section-35-47-2-1/
Based on that I can think of a scenario where he would be inviolation:

If he was not on the lease at the apartment and did not have the permission of the lessee to have a handgun "on or about his person"....then he would be required to have a permit to have a handgun "on our about his person".

If he was on the lease....or had permission from the lessee....then I would think he would be OK on that charge. I guess just because he was charged with it by the arresting officer may not mean it's the correct charge anyway though.

Also....it could be the newspaper got something wrong.

It looks like my understanding of the law here was correct though, and as long as my wife doesn't put a handgun in her purse and leave our property....she'd not be in danger of violating Indiana code.

Thanks for your responses guys!

Phil

·
Registered
351 Posts
Newspaper... Get it wrong about "gun violence"....

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha......

Is the Pope Catholic?

It is a common tactic for news writers to "make mistakes" in order to confuse citizens about our very layered and complex laws controlling firearms.

Some of them think that they can make you so anxious that you might sell your guns to numerous buy back programs for next to nothing.

After watching decades of lies and misdirection, I no longer give the benefit of the doubt to the media, and always follow up with my own research when the story appears important.

Reactions: LoboLoco and Mike55

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Is the Pope Catholic?

It is a common tactic for news writers to "make mistakes" in order to confuse citizens about our very layered and complex laws controlling firearms.

Some of them think that they can make you so anxious that you might sell your guns to numerous buy back programs for next to nothing.

After watching decades of lies and misdirection, I no longer give the benefit of the doubt to the media, and always follow up with my own research when the story appears important.
Ha! I agree! Research is your friend and forums like this one are a great place to start.

On the nefarious media issue, I'm less a believer in the general competence and more a fan of Hanlon's razor.

I tend to have a lot of respect for local journalists. They do a hard job for very little credit and almost no money. The one's I know are more interested in how to balance their family responsibilities while working 60 hours a week then "how to talk me out of my guns".

Phil

·
Registered
2,909 Posts

Is the Pope Catholic?

Alternately, many reporters are just ignorant and lazy.

Reactions: LoboLoco

·
Registered
400 Posts
It is in CT. Pistol Permit (minimum age 21) allows you to purchase any non-NFA firearm and ammunition, and to carry a concealed pistol. You can possess a long gun, but not an AR or "other," nor any pistol, under the age of 21. Pistol permit is required to purchase and possess as well as carry any handgun. Only exception is at a licensed shooting range under the supervision of a pistol permit holder. That is as far as my limited knowledge is concerned.

·
Registered
889 Posts
In CA you need a FSC (Firearm Safety Card...or Certificate) to purchase. Basic 13 question test.

To carry concealed its a whole different ballgame - different license, different requirements, significant variance from county to county.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
10,817 Posts
Based on that I can think of a scenario where he would be inviolation:

If he was not on the lease at the apartment and did not have the permission of the lessee to have a handgun "on or about his person"....then he would be required to have a permit to have a handgun "on our about his person".

If he was on the lease....or had permission from the lessee....then I would think he would be OK on that charge. I guess just because he was charged with it by the arresting officer may not mean it's the correct charge anyway though.

Also....it could be the newspaper got something wrong.

It looks like my understanding of the law here was correct though, and as long as my wife doesn't put a handgun in her purse and leave our property....she'd not be in danger of violating Indiana code.

Thanks for your responses guys!

Phil

Phil, that's why I referenced the "on line" code reference, as my "newest" Code book is 17 years old, and things change. If for no other reason, than "Case Law"!

You are correct, it all depends on "where" exactly the subject was, inside the "privacy" of his residence, or possibly in a "common" area, such as a hallway, or even a balcony or courtyard, if "shared" by other tenants. Here again different states have different "views" on what constitutes "private" versus "public" as far as property goes.

Reactions: HoosierBuddy

·
Registered
42 Posts
Visiting a friend in the Chicago Area (I live in Texas) we went to a range to shoot. Looking at available handguns in their used gun case I saw one I was interested in - to buy and ship home to my FFL Dealer. Without an Illinois Firearms Identification Card (FOID) I wasn’t even allowed to touch the gun. I could buy it and have them ship it to Texas but not examine it until I went to pick it up!

It’s the State of Illinois’s law; yet another reason to not live there! However under LEOSA I can (and was) carrying concealed there.

Some laws (ok a lot of gun related laws) are just plain Male Bovine Excrement.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Visiting a friend in the Chicago Area (I live in Texas) we went to a range to shoot. Looking at available handguns in their used gun case I saw one I was interested in - to buy and ship home to my FFL Dealer. Without an Illinois Firearms Identification Card (FOID) I wasn’t even allowed to touch the gun. I could buy it and have them ship it to Texas but not examine it until I went to pick it up!

It’s the State of Illinois’s law; yet another reason to not live there! However under LEOSA I can (and was) carrying concealed there.

Some laws (ok a lot of gun related laws) are just plain Male Bovine Excrement.
Illinois seems to base their whole state firearms statutes on trying to control gun violence in Chicago. Then everyone from Chicago that can't get what they want makes the 20 minute drive into Indiana to get it anyway....or so they claim. Indiana seems to be pretty hard core on backing 2nd amendment rights. In my lifetime it's gotten much easier to comply...for instance the handgun permit has a lifetime option now...which is awesome. They also recently (within the last few years) made it unlawful for your employer to tell employees they can't have a firearm in their vehicle in the parking lot (securely locked of course). Also, hunting regulations....as far as what you are allowed to hunt with...have gotten much looser. Really the only hard and fast "no" right now is high powered rifles on public lands....but that's for safety, not because of any aversion to high-powered rifles....at least I believe.

Phil

·
Registered
42 Posts
Phil - if people from Illinois are buying guns at Indiana Gun Shows I blame the seller(s). About the only exception would be if someone used fake ID to buy the gun.

In Michigan and in Texas I had a right to not sell one of my guns to a potential buyer by simply saying I’m not going to sell you this gun.

I value my freedom and my retirement income; if there was an 800 phone number that I as a private seller could call and run a NICS Check on a buyer - I would. I truly do not want a gun I sold to someone turn up at a crime scene. So what do I do? First of all I’ve been trained to evaluate a person in front of me if they’re lying or not. I ask for a valid TX ID/CCW/DRIVER’# LICENSE. My guns my conditions.

I also ask (those who my gut says probably were) in theyve Been arrested. You’d be surprised the number of people who claim they don’t remember why they were arrested. That’s BS; if you’ve been arrested you will remember it!

At one Texas Show someone kept trying to beat me down a few dollars on a.22 Rifle. Like clockwork he’d walk up to my table as try to get a better deal. At the end of the day I watched him hand his buddy some cash, and point at my table and turned him loose. The original guy was about 35 ft from me, I watched him pass the cash! As soon as he said he wanted to buy the rifle I told him no. I said I’m not going to jail; no straw sales at my table.

On more then one time I’ve actually had people thank me for asking the questions I ask.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Where I live you can’t buy, own, carry, or posses a handgun without a class A license. And sometimes that license allows you buy but not carry that gun. That depends on the police chief of your town you live in.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts