SIG Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was in my LGS and was looking at a Sig p227 marked as a new gun. This was surprising since there was obvious wear on the business end of the slide and the part of the trigger guard.

I asked the clerk and he indicated that is was new but some of the other staff were "not as careful with the stock". I looked closer and could see polishing on the decocker, slide release and the magazine release. That firearm had definitely been carried for some period of time.

I just let it slide, but it makes me really question the reliability of the store.

What do yo think?

·
Registered
8,405 Posts
What Flash LB said.

And, often if you ask, they'll let you look at a couple of new ones to compare. Had one clerk tell me he had one rifle with a really nice stock compared to a number of others they had in stock (guess he checked them all, and he was right!!), it's in my safe. Picture below:

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Years ago when the Glock 27 first came out it was a hard gun to find - anywhere. The first one I came across was in a pawn shop. The owner of the shop actually braged to me that he couldn't stand the anticipation so he ran 200 rounds through it. My rebuttal was " Oh, so it's used." No, NIB he said. I walked out and to this day have never been back.

I ordered one about a week later.

I don't buy anything without giving it a GOOD look over. I was asked to leave a store over a pair of boots. They were obviously slightly used. By the time I was asked to leave, every patron in the store new what I was saying.

I'm no expert, but when I'm parting with my $$, I know what I'm looking at.

·
Registered
17,772 Posts
What Flash LB said.

And, often if you ask, they'll let you look at a couple of new ones to compare. Had one clerk tell me he had one rifle with a really nice stock compared to a number of others they had in stock (guess he checked them all, and he was right!!), it's in my safe. Picture below:

Nice wood, bumper.

·
Registered
142 Posts
That is some awesome looking wood. You don't see wood that nice very much anymore.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Some guns get a little worn over time of handling from hundreds of customers, and some stores will mark these guns down citing "display". My LGS does this, but until it has been sold and actually shot by someone outside the store the gun isn't used. Technically once it is sold and taken out of the store it is "used" but I have taken a gun back to my LGS without shooting it and they give me what I paid for it toward another gun. Granted I don't do this as normal practice, but I have done it. They will put it out as "like new" and put a near new tag on it. It's all up to the store, though.

Reactions: Big Cape

·
Registered
17 Posts
Personally, I would've left it. If it was showing that much wear, and they was wanting full retail price. It would have had to be heavily discounted for me to consider buying it. I've bought a display P229 Equinox with no issues that I could see, because it was the only one they had left. They discounted it 5% with 2 boxes of V-Crowns. I walked out with it!

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
New means: never sold at retail.

Used means: traded gun.

Examine closely any display gun before purchasing.

Reactions: Big Cape

·
Registered
278 Posts
Never bothered me taking the Display gun. I went to a LGS and asked to see a gun. After examining it, I told him I would take it. He said let me get you one that no has handled. I told him I was fine taking the one I had handled. He told me how people wouldn't take the one they had just handled even if he just pulled a new gun out just for them. My bonus that day was a free box of ammo to go with my purchase.
I later worked in a GS and now know first hand what he was talking about.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
i take the display like flash!!
Me, too. Every gun that I've ever bought from an LGS was the display model, and none of them had any handling wear. Otherwise, I would have asked for another. I believe that handling wear/abuse happens, but I haven't encountered it.

·
Registered
536 Posts
LOL, I bought my 227 Tacops like this. it was in a display and had some "marks" if you will in the Nitron. Nitron's pretty hard, so I knew if I took some Hoppe's or Rem oil or Clp and rubbed it would come off. I complained, and low and behold, got $300 off to take the display model. it all came off with one wipe of Hoppe's.

Good times.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts