SIG Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
10 yr old 229 in .40. At first I thought this might have been from a misguided attempt to remove the trigger bar, looking more closely I'm not so sure.

Typical, atypical, other?

Thanks,

(very informative forum, been lurking for a while).

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This will have to do until I'm back in the shop tomorrow. Unfortunately the area in question isn't in focus. Pistol hasn't been otherwise abused but has seen a lot of carry and range time.

Not my pistol. It's in for cleaning. I've got several Sig armorer's certifications, but only lately seeing more classic line pistols as people rotate them out of duty/carry status in favor of the 320. Now they've got time to get them looked at.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What are those two gouges just to the right of the red circle? The look like a common screwdriver tip. Are you the original owner, or is it used? Ever been sent to Sig or a gunsmith for work?

Looks like someone got impatient with a trigger bar to me...

I didn't note any damage to the trigger bar before I dunked it in the cleaning tank. Will double check. The two spots you noted looked like wear marks in my initial observations and not gouges but the gun came in late in the day so I'll recheck.

·
Registered
8,629 Posts
As the slide moves back in recoil, the disconnector tab on the top of the trigger bar is driven downward. This can result in the trigger bar hitting the frame and causing the impact damage you are seeing. At least that's my take. When you install the trigger bar again you can verify that.

I haven't seen one with quite the amount in the picture.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
13,843 Posts
The "gouge" appears to be in the area where Trigger Bar Spring attaches to the Trigger Bar, as in possibly end of spring may have had a burr, early in it's life.

The higher "worn" area probably for lack of adequate lube (grease) over it's lifetime.

Also, would this happen to be a DAK?

Reactions: peppercorn

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Not a DAK trigger.

I re-examined the trigger bar. Nothing unusual. Spring looked fine, and no sign of a burr that had been worn off.

Who knows. Ill advised attempt to pry trigger bar out, slip of a screw driver screwing around with the spring, or maybe some weird maniacal grip removal technique?

After a good night's sleep and looking at it this morning, I'm comfortable that it wasn't due to any normal operation or function of the 229.

End result. Function checks fine. It's now back with the customer. They weren't eager to discuss where the damage may have come from since some colleagues were in at the same time.

I'm left with a mystery but will definitely be on the lookout for anything similar in the future.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.