SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at the Mini Ventcore from StealthGearUSA for my 365XL. Anyone have experience with that specific holster model and gun? I'd appreciate any observations, in particular whether you'd make that purchase again.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I’ve always drooled over stealth gear holsters. Never did it. It’s got a soft and a hard component to it. My concern was the soft component, and ended up going with all kydex hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,012 Posts
I owned a Stealthgear Ventcore at one point. It was nice enough, but these days, the only hybrid type holsters I'll consider are made by Black Arch.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I have a full size that I have had for 4 years or so. I use it a lot. Not as much as before the pandemic. I am a retired LEO.
This holster has been the most comfortable ISW holster I have owned. This is used for a p320 compact. As you can see I live in Florida, have had no problem with the heat when using this holster.
Son recently bought one(full size, and mag holder.) for a compact size gun and he is very happy with it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a full size that I have had for 4 years or so. I use it a lot. Not as much as before the pandemic. I am a retired LEO.
This holster has been the most comfortable ISW holster I have owned. This is used for a p320 compact. As you can see I live in Florida, have had no problem with the heat when using this holster.
Son recently bought one(full size, and mag holder.) for a compact size gun and he is very happy with it.
Okay, ISW is a new acronym for me. What does that stand for?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I owned a Stealthgear Ventcore at one point. It was nice enough, but these days, the only hybrid type holsters I'll consider are made by Black Arch.

I second that...
I have a Black Arch and it’s the only one I will use anymore, it’s a hybrid but the Kydex fully wraps around the Trigger area and the gun will not fall out if turned upside down .
Nice Small footprint on the backer and very comfortable to wear all day....

·
Registered
1,026 Posts

I second that...
I have a Black Arch and it’s the only one I will use anymore, it’s a hybrid but the Kydex fully wraps around the Trigger area and the gun will not fall out if turned upside down .
Nice Small footprint on the backer and very comfortable to wear all day....

Retention. That's my question about the StealthGear. I have a hybrid CrossBreed that is very comfortable but has zero retention. Hold it upside down and the pistol is falling out.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
The retention on Stealthgears are adjustable..I can hold my 365XL upside down, and it wont fall out unless I shake it.
But, I dont plan on being upside down with my pistol IWB.
But, I understand some may need it tight as to not fall out.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Retention. That's my question about the StealthGear. I have a hybrid CrossBreed that is very comfortable but has zero retention. Hold it upside down and the pistol is falling out.
As Steve 40th said you can adjust the retention. You can tighten it so that you can hold your gun upside down in the holster and shake the holster hard and it won't come out.
If you try this do this over your bed or something that is very soft, you may need to make it tighter.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For both the Black Arch and the Ventcore, is the Kydex portion merely a half shell that fastens to the backing or does the Kydex actually wrap around any or all of the gun? From the pictures it appears on the Black Arch that at least some kydex wraps around the trigger guard and possibly more. On the StealthGear holsters it definitely looks like the Kydex is only a half-shell that is attached to the backing. That would likely make it a thinner holster but would surely have an impact on retention.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
StealthGear is a half shell. There is no way to pull the trigger as it is covered.
Retention has been discussed in earlier post..

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
If you are wearing the holster properly and your belt is adjustable the gun isn't falling out.
I have worn mine at work and never lost a gun yet.
Climbing up and down off of trucks, sliding on my belly under them, working on bus engines where you have to drop down a hole in the floor and work in cramped spaces etc.

If I'm doing something that I think retention will be an issue there is always other holsters in the drawer that solve that.
I'm not in the FBI and I don't dance so there is that too.

In the end, do what makes you comfortable.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Having used several StealthGear holsters over the years, I was pretty happy with them. They replaced my Crossbreed’s for EDC use. Then I was talked into giving the Black Arch a try. Needless to say, my StealthGear holsters now reside in a box. The Black Arch is heads and shoulders above the StealthGear in quality. I love the full kydex coverage on the trigger and the quality of materials/fit-finish is top notch on the Black Arch.

·
Premium Member
2,012 Posts
For both the Black Arch and the Ventcore, is the Kydex portion merely a half shell that fastens to the backing or does the Kydex actually wrap around any or all of the gun? From the pictures it appears on the Black Arch that at least some kydex wraps around the trigger guard and possibly more. On the StealthGear holsters it definitely looks like the Kydex is only a half-shell that is attached to the backing. That would likely make it a thinner holster but would surely have an impact on retention.
Correct - the Black Arch Protos-M IWB wraps around the trigger guard, with adjustable retention.

The Protos-M has brought me back around to regularly carrying my P229 IWB again, due to how stable and comfortable it is, and how it distributes the weight.

(I have no connection to Black Arch - just a satisfied customer)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Correct - the Black Arch Protos-M IWB wraps around the trigger guard, with adjustable retention.

The Protos-M has brought me back around to regularly carrying my P229 IWB again, due to how stable and comfortable it is, and how it distributes the weight.

(I have no connection to Black Arch - just a satisfied customer)
How much does the wrap-around Kydex affect concealment? From the picture it looks like the grip would be forced outward somewhat; almost the inverse of a claw attachment.

·
Premium Member
2,012 Posts
How much does the wrap-around Kydex affect concealment? From the picture it looks like the grip would be forced outward somewhat; almost the inverse of a claw attachment.
It doesn't do that at all. Because the two clip points are so broadly spaced, it causes the holster to 'wrap' around your hip and pulls the grip in just as effectively as a claw would. The other bonus being that it doesn't pivot and shift throughout the day, like a lot of single clip holsters are prone to doing, esp. with heavier pistols.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It doesn't do that at all. Because the two clip points are so broadly spaced, it causes the holster to 'wrap' around your hip and pulls the grip in just as effectively as a claw would. The other bonus being that it doesn't pivot and shift throughout the day, like a lot of single clip holsters are prone to doing, esp. with heavier pistols.
The Ventcore holster would offer similar benefit from "wrapping" but being half-shell only should hold the grip even more snugly against the body, shouldn't it?

I noticed the Black Arch also offers Ulticlip's in place of the plastic belt loops. Any suggestions as to the preferability of either of these configurations? I'm familiar with the Ulticlip 3+ but would appreciate any insight from someone familiar with them on this particular rig.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts