SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a lot of ads for various and sundry CCW insurance companies online.

What insurance do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
17,787 Posts
I recommend you don't buy any at all. I look at it about the same way I look at extended warranties on appliances, a waste of money when you look at the odds of ever needing it.

Instead, take the money you were going to pay for insurance and invest it and 20 years from now you'll have a nice hunk of change to use for retirement or something else.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
^^^this^^^

Reactions: bumper

·
Premium Member
18,372 Posts
About a year ago, a good friend got jammed up in a situation where he was falsely accused of brandishing. Weekend in jail because he couldn't come up with bail, nearly $100,000 in lawyer fees, only to have the case thrown out because his accuser didn't show up to the hearing.

Yes, the chances of you needing it may be slim. But, in the remote chance that you do need it and don't have it, do you have the financial where with all to withstand the financial barrage you will be faced with?

For this reason, I am a member of Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network. Not only do they provide financial support at a time of need, training is provided to members in the legal ins and outs of defensive firearms use, a network of attorneys is available for your support and expert witnesses will come to your aid.

Insurance is a very personal decision, you can buy insurance or self insure. Should you choose to self insure in this regard, the damages you could possibly suffer financially could destroy your life.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Wasn't there a big stink about these guys in recent history ?
It would be interesting to know more about this---have any further info or links?

Insurance is a very personal decision, you can buy insurance or self insure. Should you choose to self insure in this regard, the damages you could possibly suffer financially could destroy your life.
This ^^^ 100x over and over and over.........................:)

In today's world the annual cost of this type insurance compared against just one single event where you'd be forced to defend your gun actions is a paltry sum. As Malicious Compliance says the costs most likely mount up quite quickly exceeding your mortgage. Not even bankruptcy would shield you from cost obligations arising out of bringing lethal force to bear.

Even if we're exonerated from legal actions by law enforcement by justifiable action there's still the threat of civil litigation by the victim's family (assuming lethal result)---given the burden of proof in order for a plaintiff to prevail and win a judgement is far lower than the criminal portion we're talking substantial amounts of money. The cost of simply defending yourself even if you don't lose could be that life damage even MC talks about.

Not sure how much a 20 year investment of the annual insurance premium would be but: a) would it be enough to cover the legal expenses/judgments & b) is that a risk you, me, anyone is willing to take? The answers therein for me would determine IF I bought.

On another front to-date I've not seen anyone who's used one of these policies coming forward with real numbers of costs that were covered and what level of customer service was received. That would be great for a real-world comparison for those trying to decide which one.

·
Premium Member
18,372 Posts
Not sure how much a 20 year investment of the annual insurance premium would be but: a) would it be enough to cover the legal expenses/judgments & b) is that a risk you, me, anyone is willing to take? The answers therein for me would determine IF I bought.
After 20 years at 8%, the $75 annual premium I pay Legal Defense Network would be worth $370. Peanuts.

·
Registered
17,787 Posts
Make sure you read the fine print before you give your money to these insurance places.

In reading the info for the https://armedcitizensnetwork.org/defensefund I notice that while they say they will forward $10K to help you get a lawyer, which sounds odd to me. Pay $10K is one thing, but "forward" almost implies you'll have to pay it back.

Looking further into it, they state:
Beyond that, distribution of monetary grants to help with legal fees is at the discretion of the Network’s Advisory Board. Financial support to defray legal costs is available to Network members for incidents that occur during their Network membership period.

Which says they may or may not give you any more money and if they do, it might not be much money at all.

This sounds a bit shady to me. If they're legit, why don't they come out and say "we'll pay a maximum of "X" dollars or something along those lines? I've never seen an insurance policy in my life that didn't state a dollar amount.

Think about it and do your research. You may pay in your money for years and get nothing or next to nothing if you need it later.

·
Premium Member
18,372 Posts
You raise some good and valid concerns, Flash. The Armed Citizens Defense Network is neither an insurance plan nor a pre-paid legal fund. It is a membership, the questions and concerns you raise are addressed HERE.

·
Registered
17,787 Posts
You raise some good and valid concerns, Flash. The Armed Citizens Defense Network is neither an insurance plan nor a pre-paid legal fund. It is a membership, the questions and concerns you raise are addressed HERE.
Thanks for the input, MC.

Here's what I found at the link:
The Network will pay a bail bond agent up to $25,000 to post bail on behalf of a member who has used force in self defense. If the bail agent requires additional resources or collateral, the member will be need to provide collateral or funds if the amount required to post bail exceeds $25,000. In addition, the member and his or her attorney must provide facts of the case to show the Network that their use of force had cognizable elements of self defense. This subject is more complex than a paragraph in benefits synopsis, so please review the full description of this benefit at https://armedcitizensnetwork.org/october-2015-presidents-message.

After the initial fee deposit and the bail assistance, if you are charged with a crime and additional money is needed to pay the costs for your legal defense, then the Network will look at the facts of the case as provided to us by your attorney. We view these facts in the light most favorable to the member, of course, and if there is a reasonable self-defense component to the incident, then we will grant additional money to fund that member’s legal defense. That amount of money is subject to the attorney’s estimate of the cost of the legal defense because each case is different, and, of course, funding is predicated upon how much money we have in the Legal Defense Fund.

Here are my opinions of the new information. They'll cover bail up to $25,000.00. If you're charged with a crime, bail will almost certainly be substantially more than that, so you're still going to lose your house or a large part of it.

Secondly, here's something else for people to chew on. If you're charged with a crime, the Grand Jury or at least the D.A. think they have enough to charge you with and ultimately, to have you found guilty of a crime in a court of law. The Network must decide whether or not you're guilty before they front any money to you. If the D.A. thinks they've got enough, there's a large possibility that the Network will think the same and deny you any benefits.

So the bottom line is that if the D.A. and Grand Jury don't think you're guilty of a crime, you don't need the insurance. If they do think you're guilty, there's a large possibility that the insurance won't cover your legal expenses.

Just some food for thought.

·
Premium Member
18,372 Posts
Remember a bail bondsman typically requires 10% of bail. $25,000 will cover bail up to $250,000.

Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network takes a proactive approach, not unlike that of an HMO and your health care. They provide their members with the tools to better understand the difference between a good defensive stance (be it firearms related or not) and not good.

I am certainly not selling here, the decision is certainly personal. I prefer to accept more responsibility for my knowledge and acts, hence this program suits me better than others I have explored. I know several of the board members personally and trust completely their knowledge and ability to assist me, should I ever need their assistance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use Texas Law Shield (https://www.texaslawshield.com/protection-for-firearms-owners/). There is optional coverage for spouse, children, multi-state, and bail bond/expert witness.

It was $10/month when I joined. They sent informational emails from real life scenarios. I got it so that it wouldn't break me if I ever had to expose or use my weapon in self-defense. My two cents.

• Coverage If You Use a Gun, Whether You Pull the Trigger or Not
  • 24/7 Attorney-Answered Emergency Hotline
  • Legal Representation Anywhere in Texas for Criminal and Civil Proceedings
  • Updates on Firearms Laws
  • Special Offers Only Available to Our Members
  • Multistate Coverage Available For All 50 States
  • Bail/Bond Coverage Up To $25,000
  • Not A Useless Reimbursement Scheme
  • All Legal Weapons Now Covered!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I really like the USCCA and I'm a member of that one. I personally view the small monthly premium as paying for the excellent magazine they put out and the insurance is just a bonus. I also am very fond of the Armed Citizen Legal Defense Network and was a member of that previously.

As far as what Flash was saying about having to prove your case to them, I think that language is just to protect them in the case of the guy who really does do something obviously wrong. Also, I don't agree with just because a DA decides to charge you means you're guilty and the ACLDN won't cover you. Charges being filed have no bearing on whether your case is good or not. We see plenty of people charged and acquitted all the time for self defense shootings. There are plenty of anti-gun cities where the DA will charge you no matter what as a matter of policy. Also, some have a political axe to grind. I believe that this was the main reason why some states finally got the stand your ground laws enacted.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Regardless of your stance on the ins and outs of insurance, I think the fact that you get guaranteed access to the likes of Mas Ayoob and Tom Givens to help coach through the case, the annual membership fee for ACLDN is ridiculously inexpensive.

I am not yet a member, but will be by next month.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts