SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm new to the forum and recently ordered a nickel mag catch from the factory to install in my P229. Suffice it to say I made a mistake and put the detention in backwards. Is there a home fix for this? Any advice and instructions would be appreciated!

馃帠USA Veteran
I've never done this but read here on ST that a member used a blade type feeler gauge (0.005"?) and maneuvered it between the mag catch and the frame to depress the mag catch stop. Can't remember if he came in from the right side of the frame (grip panel removed) or up thru the mag well. He was able to depress the mag catch stop enough to remove the mag catch assembly from the frame.

Premium Member
This happens often enough that Sig has a jig set-up at the service shop to drill out the release when you send it to them. Before someone starts with the poor design comments, this is not a part that is serviceable and you are on your own if you remove this part and reassemble incorrectly. As ThnkFrst stated, I have also read that you can use a feeler gauge while also using a pick to push or slide the magazine catch stop into the magazine catch. Rollo1880 don't feel embarrassed, you're not the first, won't be the last, it even occurred during my armorer's course. All the frames that were being used during the course I took were really beat up, I know I could see nicks and gouges in the aluminum frame of the one I was using in the magazine catch hole. Secure the frame in a padded vice and choose the right tools as suggested, and use the Force (patience) you'll get it.

馃帠USA Veteran
from sigforum:
Get you a set of feeler gages. .004 works best but .005 will work. Trim it like the picture where the end will be about 1/8" to 1/4". Depress the mag release into the frame. Slide the feeler gage down between the release and the frame as far as you can make it go. Push up on the release and be sure to catch the stop and spring. It may take once or twice.

Attachments

Registered
Try removing the support plate on the opposite side and see if you can get it out that way. I've been curious to see if this would help.

FYI: the support plate slides out--don't pry it. There is a nub you can push on with flat head screwdriver.

Registered
I just did the same damn mistake on my P226. I tried switching to the other side because I'm left-handed. I put the plunger in backwards and now I'm drinking heavily.
Does this feeler-gage trick really work?

Thanks, Coup

Resident Armorer Premium Member
I just did the same damn mistake on my P226. I tried switching to the other side because I'm left-handed. I put the plunger in backwards and now I'm drinking heavily.

Thanks, Coup
It should, but would suggest doing it sober, so you don't do anything you will regret, not thinking straight.

Reactions: incar

Registered

Thanks, Coup

The fuchsia arrow is pointing toward the plunger
which is sorta like the catch stop in the pistol picture.

Mag catch correct

Us a .004" piece of feeler gauge and cut the gauge down to 1/4" wide by about one and a half inches long. We want to place that gauge straight down on top of the catch stop that is put in backwards.
That will be the crack forward of the catch itself. Press down on top of the catch stop and the stop will go back into the catch. When it does the large catch will jump up.
Attention: It will jump up if the support plate and catch spring are still installed. Leave the support plate installed along with the spring beneath it.

Some people will use a 003" feeler gage if the crack is small. The catch stop is almost tapered a little and that really helps it move back inside the catch.
This takes patience and rest. Keep at it. Push the door plunger back inside the door lock.

Registered
I'm off looking for feeler gauges. Does Autozone sell them? I have a complete set in the garage but I haven't used them in 30 years. Dont feel like spending six hours tearing the garage apart to find them.

I'm off looking for feeler gauges. Does Autozone sell them? I have a complete set in the garage but I haven't used them in 30 years. Dont feel like spending six hours tearing the garage apart to find them.
Autozone should have them, or any decent auto parts store.

Registered
Alrighty then. Found some high quality Chinese feeler gauges (do we even make this stuff anymore?). It has .003, .004, and .005 inch steel blades. How should I cut them down? Dremel tool with small rotory cutting disc?

Many thanks, Coup

Should be able to use tin snips, as these aren't thick or "hardened"...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.