SIG Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got my first Legion, a P226 in .357 SIG yesterday. I still haven't had a chance to shoot it, but here are my initial thoughts:

I like it. I absolutely love the undercut trigger guard and the front strap checkering. Those two things alone are worth the price of admission for me. The G10 grips are very nice. I like them better than the pairs of Hogue G10 grips I've had for my P226's. I like the smaller controls. I habitually activate the slide stop and I think that will happen less with this pistol.

As for the cons, I'm not a fan of the trigger itself. I find it quite uncomfortable, and it will have to go. The "trigger job", is not what I'd imagined after reading the rave reviews. I'd say it's about on par with my P226 Combat, and worse than either my German P226, P226 Two Tone, or my M11A1. I install SRT kits on all my SIGs that don't come with them, and there is nothing at all special about my DA/SA Legion's trigger job. I expect that like most triggers, it will become a little better with time, but it definitely wouldn't be a deciding factor for me if choosing a P226 variant.

The tritium sights are bright, and I like the sight profile. The "day" front sight is not as eye-catching as I'd read in reviews, but I do have a color vision deficiency, so that may be a fault of me and not the gun.

The gray finish, even after oiling, is a little brighter than I'd like. I was hoping it would be a little more of a slate gray. But that's an incredibly minor issue for me.

All in all, I'm very happy with the pistol, and glad I bought it. I got a nice discount under SIG's LE/ Mil program, which took a lot of the sting out of it. It definitely made it worth it for me due to the checkering, grips, and undercut. If I was paying retail, I would have to say I'd pick a Combat/ Mk25 over the Legion.

Just my .02 cents so far.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Replace the mainspring with a 17-18 lb Wolff and your trigger will improve noticeably.
Thanks Jim. I've always been reluctant to change out springs to aftermarket due to risk of light primer strikes. I'd prefer a tough trigger to light primer strikes. Have there been any of those issues with the Wolff springs?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I got my first Legion, a P226 in .357 SIG yesterday. I still haven't had a chance to shoot it, but here are my initial thoughts:

I like it. I absolutely love the undercut trigger guard and the front strap checkering. Those two things alone are worth the price of admission for me. The G10 grips are very nice. I like them better than the pairs of Hogue G10 grips I've had for my P226's. I like the smaller controls. I habitually activate the slide stop and I think that will happen less with this pistol.

As for the cons, I'm not a fan of the trigger itself. I find it quite uncomfortable, and it will have to go. The "trigger job", is not what I'd imagined after reading the rave reviews. I'd say it's about on par with my P226 Combat, and worse than either my German P226, P226 Two Tone, or my M11A1. I install SRT kits on all my SIGs that don't come with them, and there is nothing at all special about my DA/SA Legion's trigger job. I expect that like most triggers, it will become a little better with time, but it definitely wouldn't be a deciding factor for me if choosing a P226 variant.

The tritium sights are bright, and I like the sight profile. The "day" front sight is not as eye-catching as I'd read in reviews, but I do have a color vision deficiency, so that may be a fault of me and not the gun.

The gray finish, even after oiling, is a little brighter than I'd like. I was hoping it would be a little more of a slate gray. But that's an incredibly minor issue for me.

All in all, I'm very happy with the pistol, and glad I bought it. I got a nice discount under SIG's LE/ Mil program, which took a lot of the sting out of it. It definitely made it worth it for me due to the checkering, grips, and undercut. If I was paying retail, I would have to say I'd pick a Combat/ Mk25 over the Legion.

Nice review and congrats on the pistol! BTW the G10s are made by Hogue and the "trigger job" really isn't a trigger job. It's just slightly higher quality trigger from grayguns with a smoother action so if you compare a brand new legion to a brand new anything else, it'll seem better. I bought my legion the same time I bought my combat and I can tell you there was a HUGE difference then, but now not so much. It's the SAO version that takes the cake for "I didn't expect this to be this good". And I also think the color leans more green than anything else, which grew on me so much that my got my AR cerakoted the same color. Happy shooting! If you're anything like me, it'll really start to grow on you about 1000 rounds in!

Reactions: Jedi5150

·
Registered
363 Posts
Thanks Jim. I've always been reluctant to change out springs to aftermarket due to risk of light primer strikes. I'd prefer a tough trigger to light primer strikes. Have there been any of those issues with the Wolff springs?
I've got a 17# wolff in mine, 2000+ rounds in no light strikes. I have 9mm and 40sw barrels for my p226 legion, didn't make a difference. My SA trigger pull is sub 3#, DA you can definitely feel how smooth it actually is.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I have 17lb Wolff springs installed in all three of my P226's with no evidence of light primer strikes. Wolff offers a package deal consisting of three springs frim 17-19 lbs IIRC for fairly cheap so you can try them out.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have 17lb Wolff springs installed in all three of my P226's with no evidence of light primer strikes. Wolff offers a package deal consisting of three springs frim 17-19 lbs IIRC for fairly cheap so you can try them out.
It was a weird sensation for me when I first installed it and dry fired a couple times. Thought to myself there is no way I'm not getting a light strike, couldn't really feel the hammer hit. Plus with Sig's hammer sitting off the pin, I wasn't even sure if it was hitting it at all. 2000+ rounds later, I am really quite impressed. Still won't put them in carry guns though, those I leave bone stock.

Did you have the same feeling?

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice review and congrats on the pistol! BTW the G10s are made by Hogue and the "trigger job" really isn't a trigger job. It's just slightly higher quality trigger from grayguns with a smoother action so if you compare a brand new legion to a brand new anything else, it'll seem better. I bought my legion the same time I bought my combat and I can tell you there was a HUGE difference then, but now not so much. It's the SAO version that takes the cake for "I didn't expect this to be this good". And I also think the color leans more green than anything else, which grew on me so much that my got my AR cerakoted the same color. Happy shooting! If you're anything like me, it'll really start to grow on you about 1000 rounds in!
Thanks for the info. Now that you mention it, I recall reading that Hogue made the G10's for it. Maybe it's a different pattern, or slightly different shape, but I find them more comfortable on the Legion than my previous versions.

It's funny you mention the color being closer to green. As I said, I'm colorblind, but when my younger daughter first saw the pistol last night she asked if it was a shade of green.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Thanks for the info. Now that you mention it, I recall reading that Hogue made the G10's for it. Maybe it's a different pattern, or slightly different shape, but I find them more comfortable on the Legion than my previous versions.

It's funny you mention the color being closer to green. As I said, I'm colorblind, but when my younger daughter first saw the pistol last night she asked if it was a shade of green.
The shape is the same, I've swapped out other G10s and they all work the same. I think it's the undercut and the beavertail that make the difference, as well as the front checkering. The grips themselves are just a standard black G10 checkered with a legion medallion in them. Oh, and they have some additional checkering by your thumb that I never realized was there until just now hahahahha

Under certain light, especially when it's pretty dark, it'll look ODG to me. In sunlight, I think it looks more tungsten. Sorry you can't really see but just know everyone that sees it will think it looks pretty sweet.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The shape is the same, I've swapped out other G10s and they all work the same. I think it's the undercut and the beavertail that make the difference, as well as the front checkering. The grips themselves are just a standard black G10 checkered with a legion medallion in them. Oh, and they have some additional checkering by your thumb that I never realized was there until just now hahahahha

Under certain light, especially when it's pretty dark, it'll look ODG to me. In sunlight, I think it looks more tungsten. Sorry you can't really see but just know everyone that sees it will think it looks pretty sweet.
Hahaha, roger that.:lol:

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update: I took my beast to the range tonight for the first time. I only had the chance to put about 100 rounds through it, a mix of duty and range ammo, but it worked great.

I was very pleasantly surprised that for the first time ever with a P226, not a single time did the slide fail to lock open on an empty magazine. The smaller slide stop worked like a charm. Accuracy was decent. I honestly didn't focus too much on accuracy, since the indoor range was poorly lit and my eyes are getting older. This was more of a function check, and it passed with flying colors, in spite of me not doing any cleaning or lubing before the shoot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also took delivery of a 226 Da/SA 9mm several weeks again and have put 400 rounds through it. I am a new pistol guy and here are my uneducated thoughts.

The trigger action is smooth as silk.
No misfires or any operational malfunctions.
Finish is still prefect. (even after my constraint cleaning and greasing :)
Accuracy is good, still learning the gun and how to aim it.
The gun seems to be getting easier to operate, less force required to operate.
Really appreciating the grip, starting to feel natural to me.

In total, I am really enjoying the gun and would recommend it to everyone.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Received my 226 SAO Legion 9mm yesterday.
First impression leads me to believe that it's a well though out and manufactured firearm. The ergonomic grip,flat single-action trigger, brighter than normal front sight and 1911-like ambi thumb safety were the primary influence in purchasing the Legion. I won't be able to shoot it until next week but I have high hopes!
I do wish it had the changeable rear sight plate like the newest model Sigs, so I could switch the Romeo1 optic between the Legion and the P320RX.

·
Banned
6,286 Posts

WRT the trigger, have you tried adjusting it to take out the over travel? I think if you do that, once you get it set where you want it, put Loctite on it, you'll be happier with it. As to the sights, I would have to say your deficiency is the issue b/c from my point of view its definitely pops. I think what I may do, however, is install a low profile slide lock lever on a MK25, along with a SRT, and be done with it. I really like the MK25 best of all.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
WRT the trigger, have you tried adjusting it to take out the over travel? I think if you do that, once you get it set where you want it, put Loctite on it, you'll be happier with it. As to the sights, I would have to say your deficiency is the issue b/c from my point of view its definitely pops. I think what I may do, however, is install a low profile slide lock lever on a MK25, along with a SRT, and be done with it. I really like the MK25 best of all.
I haven't tried adjusting the trigger, but I'm really not interested in messing with it since I'll be replacing it anyways. I just can't stand the narrow, rounded front. It's uncomfortable enough to warrant an immediate change without even trying to become accustomed to it.

The low profile slide lock lever is an adjustment I think I may have to incorporate into all my SIGs. I'm really happy with it. I don't blame you for loving the Mk25, it was a very close call for me between that and the Legion. As I said in my other thread, caliber became the deciding factor when I realized I had way more 9s than 357's. But if I was in the market for a 9mm, I think I would have gone with a second M11A1 or a Mk25 over the Legion. The Mk25 is still on my very short list. :lol: The only other shooter at the range yesterday had a Mk25, so I played with them back to back. It would be a VERY tough call if I'd never had a SIG before.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.