SIG Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my first trip to the range with the new Sig P938 I took the recommended lubrication advice that came in from my earlier post. My personal recommendation is to error on the side of more lubrication rather than less. Thanks to all who provided tips!

Additionally, I took the advice of numerous other posts and I polished the feed ramp; used my Dremel at slow speed with a machine shop polishing compound. Put a real mirror finish on in a few minutes.

I brought 200 rounds of Winchester White Box 115gr ball ammo and 28 rounds of Winchester White Box JHP to the range. I fired 214 rounds at 15 feet and 14 rounds at 30 feet.

I believe that the pistol is very accurate for a small gun (attached photo is at 15 feet) and the recoil is minimal; this is subjective because I also shoot a 357 snubby.

The gun handles well and feels comfortable.

Defectives:

1. There were two (2) failures to feed (FTF), both with the ball ammo. One occurred at about 25 rounds in and the second at about 150 rounds. In each instance the ejection of the previous rounds appeared proper.

2. There was one instance of the slide not locking open after the last round was fired.

I hoped for perfection but the defects were not unexpected because this is a new, unbroken gun. I intend to put a minimum of 500 rounds through it for its break-in. Next range trip will include 100 rounds of Winchester White Box 115gr ball ammo, 50 rounds of some JHP and 40 rounds (20 each) of some of my favorite brands.

Any advice on the defects will be much appreciated. If I were to experience these defects again after 500 rounds I’ll be somewhat concerned.

Glarus

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Congrats on getting to test it out.

My personal experience with WWB is that it is not the best of the bulk ammo 9mm, but I also havent had any failures from it, usually just not as accurate. I have heard of people having issues with it, but personally it has been okay for me. That said, WWB is my last choice of 9mm ammo when I shop.

A couple of failures out of the first couple hundred rounds, I would not worry about it too much. Just go home clean, re-lube and do it all over again.

Not sure if it matters but Sig also recommends using 124g in the 938. I have noticed slightly more accuracy from the 124 grain. Might just be me, but it seems like it any way.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I was also reading that there are loads recommended for short barreled guns. As said above WWB isn't the best ammo to base your guns overall reliability. I would try some 124gr and 147gr at your next range session and see how it goes.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I agree with some of the above. WWB is my last choice in ammo. I now have about 400 or so rounds out of my 938 with a polished ramp and it has ben virtually flawless. All of the ammo has been 115 grain, and mostly PMC with some Speer Lawman in the mix. I also have fired some 147 grain Golden Saber. All have performed well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use Win White Box it to break-in guns because it's FMJ and inexpensive - $30 per 100 rounds. It took me 1000 rounds on the Kahr!

My carry round for 9mm is Federal Premium 124grHST HP. This is the one that won the Ammo Quest for short barreled guns based on best performance against FBI ballistic requirements on ShootingtheBull.com Go to YouTube - search for shootingthebull410 Ammo Quest 9mm - there is a complete review on most all 9mm ammo.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Get a few boxes of Fiocchi 124gr, or a box of Federal American Eagle -- these have more "oomph" and will cycle more forcefully.

I'm concerned that your FTF's were with FMJ's. I hope you didn't void your warranty by doing a DIY ramp polishing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Day 2 Results

Thanks for the advice on the Federal American Eagle, I found one box today. Just got back from the range - what a perfect gun the P938 was today!!!

Shot 50 rounds Federal American Eagle FMJ , 100 rounds Win White FMJ, 20 rounds Speer LE +P 124GR GDHP, and 20 rounds Federal Personal Defense 115GR JHP.

The gun ran like an Olympic Champion - zero defects, smooth, very accurate with the Federal American Eagle and both premium rounds, light recoil with everything I put in it. I had it well lubed up.

Tomorrow it goes back for the final break-in with the Federal Premium LE 124GR HST HP ammo. To date 428 rounds with the only two FTF defects early on - I'm happy!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just from my break in experience I recommend 124 gr all the way around. FMJ or JHP. they seem to be the bullet it likes.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I use the 115gr American Eagle for range practice, and Lawman 124gr for HD. I make sure the metal to metal on the rails are lubed and a little lubricant on the hammer springs, and have had no problems. A nice, grip helps ensure you get the recoil your supposed to for proper ejection and feeding. Try some different types of ammo have said and ring it out at the range.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts