SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If SIG were to build a P229 Nightmare, I think it would look a little something like this...

Stainless steel trigger and hammer, stainless steel guide rod, glass bead blasted standard controls down to the steel, black aluminum grips with stainless steel hardware. Caliber is .357 SIG.

There are also a few hidden tricks inside; SRT and other modifications to hammer and trigger, anti-rattle modification. This particular P229 of mine has been a test mule for a few parts and is certainly no safe queen, it just accompanied me to a training day last weekend.

UPDATED PICS HERE:
http://sigtalk.com/sig-sauer-pistols/186090-if-sig-were-build-p229-nightmare-2.html#post2460369

Attachments

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lose the rail and I'm in.
I did briefly consider doing this to my M11-A1, but I'm leaving that one visually all-original.

I do, however, have a couple of P228 projects in pieces right now and have not entirely nailed down the visuals, so I might take your suggestion with one of those.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to use nickel controls?
Haven't seen stainless steel triggers and hammers for the P229 just the ones in nickel.
Also how corrosion resistant are the bead blasted controls?
It sure looks stunning but I would have went the nickel route and would have also changed the mag release to nickel.

Reactions: bumper

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wouldn't it be easier to use nickel controls?
Haven't seen stainless steel triggers and hammers for the P229 just the ones in nickel.
Also how corrosion resistant are the bead blasted controls?
It sure looks stunning but I would have went the nickel route and would have also changed the mag release to nickel.
Good questions.

1) I don't have a set of nickel controls, and they're not cheap to buy. Color-wise, nickel only perfectly matches nickel. All of these parts are steel, so they all match each other. Nickel also scratches more easily than steel, and as these are all control surfaces, they might start to look shabby. Remember, despite how clean this pistol looks, I do use it frequently.

2) The stainless steel parts are special bits. :eek:

3) Judging by the completely worn to silver controls on one of my P228s, which has absolutely no rust, I believe that either they are some grade of rust-resistant steel, or that wiping the whole thing down with oil periodically is an excellent corrosion inhibitor.

4) The mag release... ARGH! Yes, I realized that I overlooked that. I'll blast one later this week and install it.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Well yeah if you can bead blast the parts yourself you can save a pretty penny compared to getting the nickel parts.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Updated the P229 Nightmare concept... correct silver mag release, matching style with lines instead of checkering. Also media blasted the grip screws to have the same matte finish. Getting close to finished on the cosmetics.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good questions.

1) I don't have a set of nickel controls, and they're not cheap to buy. Color-wise, nickel only perfectly matches nickel. All of these parts are steel, so they all match each other. Nickel also scratches more easily than steel, and as these are all control surfaces, they might start to look shabby. Remember, despite how clean this pistol looks, I do use it frequently.

2) The stainless steel parts are special bits. :eek:

3) Judging by the completely worn to silver controls on one of my P228s, which has absolutely no rust, I believe that either they are some grade of rust-resistant steel, or that wiping the whole thing down with oil periodically is an excellent corrosion inhibitor.

4) The mag release... ARGH! Yes, I realized that I overlooked that. I'll blast one later this week and install it.

Best Damn Guns LLC, makes parts for sigs.

The stainless trigger, is the same as the Grays Guns trigger.
The firing kit has a stainless steel hammer, with machined tool steel sear and safety lever.

Also, from what I have seen online, Sig has the Takedown lever and mag release for sale, listed as SS, coated. Bead blast them, and you have pure stainless.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Nice 229. I did the same look on my Arex compact with all the controls and hammer Duracoated in stainless look. I'm waiting for the G10 grips to be available for the compact and will get the screws done for those when I get them. Love the nightmare look, and the Sig 1911 Nightmare is still my favorite in the looks department.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.