SIG Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My focus is shifting to more training, as I am blessed to have acreage to shoot on at home.

I've added a TA Target mini vital zone steel system to better hone my accuracy. I'm curious what height folks that are using steel set their 2x4's to? My initial thinking is 48 inches, as that is almost "center mass" on most. However, hoping some on here with a better "training" background are willing to offer their opinion.

Glad to be a member of this forum, and appreciate the knowledge from you.

·
Premium Member
2,779 Posts
My focus is shifting to more training, as I am blessed to have acreage to shoot on at home.

I've added a TA Target mini vital zone steel system to better hone my accuracy. I'm curious what height folks that are using steel set their 2x4's to? My initial thinking is 48 inches, as that is almost "center mass" on most. However, hoping some on here with a better "training" background are willing to offer their opinion.

Glad to be a member of this forum, and appreciate the knowledge from you.
I have multiple steel targets in different heights. Varying the target height allows me to learn better since “center mass” is not going to be at fixed height all the time.

·
Registered
Sig P226, M400 TREAD, P220, P365XL, P227R, P228
460 Posts
Whatever height that you can guarantee the rounds will hit your backstop. ;)

If you only train at 48", then that's what your shooting will default to if you ever have to engage a target for real. A variety of heights that get you used to shooting high and low would be ideal.

Reactions: DarSig

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
Height doesn't really matter. (as long as you hit the backstop like Navy87guy said) Since you've got plenty of acreage set them up a various heights. Regardless of how you set the targets up practice shooting on the move and from various positions. I also practice shooting from my vehicle. With all the craziness going on these days you never know what kind of situation you'll end up in.

·
🎖US Army Veteran Premium Member
2,893 Posts
I've used cardboard silhouettes for practice so I have them at various heights, but I always have at least one target low to represent an attacking animal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts