SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, It has taken a while for the government to get anybody to make a tender on the contract to implement the gun confiscation program for all the recently banned ARs and similar types of 'assault style weapons' (essentially all semi-automatic modern sporting rifles, plus shotguns, and some hunting rifles as well) here in Canada. They put this out for tender twice, with no takers. Then they hired an HR company to find them a manager for the program, and the HR company got hammered so bad by gun owners on social media that they withdrew from the contract. But finally, we have a winner!

IBM is going to design the program to confiscate our firearms (personal property, legally acquired).

I'm not sure how that makes you feel in the USA, to have one of your home-grown apple pie success story companies working on design and implementation for a firearms confiscation program. On the bright side, they screwed up our Federal payroll program so bad (the Phoenix pay system) here that I suspect this will be screwed up even worse. But once they get all the bugs knocked out, and have a great system for disarming citizens here, they will have a working model that they can use in other places. Like, the USA.

I just thought I'd throw that out there for all of the fine members of this forum, in case any of you would like to contact IBM about this. I know we will be doing it here in Canada, but frankly I don't think they will notice so much our small efforts.

Currently, we have 6 or 7 lawsuits fighting this ban at the Supreme Court level here, and we are hopeful we can get this ban shut down on Constitutional grounds. There are also something in the order of 200+ challenges filed at the Provincial Court level (one of which is mine, my hearing date is in February). So we are not, as gun owners, just rolling over and being good subjects of the State. Our Prime Minister is an abomination, who admires the basic dictatorship of China, and was a big fan of Fidel Castro. If this plan to confiscate goes ahead, there will be massive non compliance, guaranteed. After that, who knows.

I just thought it was worth while posting this here, so that you know an American Company is involved in the plan to confiscate our firearms.

·
Registered
237 Posts
As a former employee I can assure you they no scruples & don't give a shite about anyone's 'rights' or have any moral compass when it comes to $$$$$.

I was witness to massive outsourcing of good, tech US jobs to India & S. America where they forced the talented US folks to 'teach' their replacements or risk losing severance pay & medical coverage. It was brutal to say the least and the product that came out of those countries was total crap, but those of us left were told to fix it (as best as possible given it's dismal quality & readability) and KEEP QUIET about it or else we'd be canned. There was to be no dissension in the ranks and we were told if asked by the customer, to say it was great code (i.e. the execs are NEVER wrong and the outsourcing pgm was a GREAT success !!).

It was (and still is) an abysmal failure that continues to be covered up. One of the early major set backs was that (as I had figured all along), all the ppl we trained (especially in India) left within 3 - 6 months for other jobs. These guys were literally jumping ship for $.25/hr more once they had that IBM 'experience' and training on their resume's.

I would have worked longer, but retired early due to this BS.

Net is, regardless of how repugnant it is or how much they get beat up in social media, they are likely to just forge ahead as long as there is a buck to be made.
You best hope is the resulting system is horrible (like so many of their systems) and has tons of holes that allow you to escape the scrutiny of your overlords !

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh trust me, we do have a big, big issue with this corrupt government!

·
Registered
359 Posts
IBM is structured around individual subsidiary companies in each country.

IBM Canada, Ltd. entered into this contract. This is their contact information:

Those of us stateside need to understand the implications of having no "Second Amendment" guarantees. I'm sure it's just money to IBM Canada, Ltd. - a performance based services contract.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I lost all my guns in a boating accident. Sorry this is happening to Canada.
A lot of people here are having boating accidents too. I'm not. They know I have a firearm affected by this ban because of the gun registry. I know I have it. And I will not be surrendering it. And the 70 thousand + other individuals who are affected by this, and have been made criminals by our government with the stroke of a pen, and no parliamentary debate, will probably also not surrender theirs. I've spoken with several LEOs, as well as military personnel who are all affected by the ban (they own banned firearms) and they all say that enforcement will be impossible, and they will refuse to be involved. So, this leaves the government in the position of having passed a law that the citizens don't comply with and that won't be enforced. Like in New Zealand. It's a bad look. But if nothing else, it has finally woken up the complacent gun community (some of them anyway) here in Canada, who have just been enduring the incremental bans and laws that have already occurred over the years. Some are finally getting off their butts and getting involved, fighting it in court, writing letters, going to protests. It's a start. Our gun orgs are finally also (somewhat) doing their jobs and organizing resistance, legal and civil.

·
Registered
359 Posts
It's covered in detail in Stephen P. Halbrook's book:

I recommend reading this book. It's very well researched.

Also see Joyce Lee Malcolm's study (used by Justice Scalia as a reference in the recent Heller and MacDonald cases):

I met Joyce recently at a symposium on the Second Amendment, and her research (going back in English Law to the British civil wars) is top notch. Here's one of her more recent papers:

And here's another detailed study:

·
Registered
222 Posts
So, you’re saying that they had to hire a program manager? Said another way, that’s the one guy responsible for implementing and managing the process? Hmmm... if there was only some way to... nah, that would be impossible. Never mind.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
A lot of people here are having boating accidents too. I'm not. They know I have a firearm affected by this ban because of the gun registry. I know I have it. And I will not be surrendering it. And the 70 thousand + other individuals who are affected by this, and have been made criminals by our government with the stroke of a pen, and no parliamentary debate, will probably also not surrender theirs. I've spoken with several LEOs, as well as military personnel who are all affected by the ban (they own banned firearms) and they all say that enforcement will be impossible, and they will refuse to be involved. So, this leaves the government in the position of having passed a law that the citizens don't comply with and that won't be enforced. Like in New Zealand. It's a bad look. But if nothing else, it has finally woken up the complacent gun community (some of them anyway) here in Canada, who have just been enduring the incremental bans and laws that have already occurred over the years. Some are finally getting off their butts and getting involved, fighting it in court, writing letters, going to protests. It's a start. Our gun orgs are finally also (somewhat) doing their jobs and organizing resistance, legal and civil.
I wish you and the other gun owners in your country the best of luck in your fight and I hope our Georgia residents are paying attention to this and realize how important it is to vote next month.

·
Premium Member
Sig: P226 MK25, P320 X-Five, P365XL - S&W: TRR8, 500 Magnum, Pro Shop Model 640
154 Posts
Years ago I had a sheet of 8.5" x 11" paper with a list of all the acronyms IBM stood for. One of my favorites

Ici Beaucoup Merde (Google Translate)
Intelligent Bowel Movement (related to the French above)
And it's cool you can say "Merde" without being censored. :D

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
As a former employee I can assure you they no scruples & don't give a shite about anyone's 'rights' or have any moral compass when it comes to $$$$$.

I was witness to massive outsourcing of good, tech US jobs to India & S. America where they forced the talented US folks to 'teach' their replacements or risk losing severance pay & medical coverage. It was brutal to say the least and the product that came out of those countries was total crap, but those of us left were told to fix it (as best as possible given it's dismal quality & readability) and KEEP QUIET about it or else we'd be canned. There was to be no dissension in the ranks and we were told if asked by the customer, to say it was great code (i.e. the execs are NEVER wrong and the outsourcing pgm was a GREAT success !!).

It was (and still is) an abysmal failure that continues to be covered up. One of the early major set backs was that (as I had figured all along), all the ppl we trained (especially in India) left within 3 - 6 months for other jobs. These guys were literally jumping ship for $.25/hr more once they had that IBM 'experience' and training on their resume's.

I would have worked longer, but retired early due to this BS.

Net is, regardless of how repugnant it is or how much they get beat up in social media, they are likely to just forge ahead as long as there is a buck to be made.
You best hope is the resulting system is horrible (like so many of their systems) and has tons of holes that allow you to escape the scrutiny of your overlords !
Ya- had some buds at IBM who saw the same. An American iconic company that has totally lost its way. Shame.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Watching "Nazi Death Squads" on the HISTORY channel. Millions of Jews were forced to the gas chambers with no way to defend themselves. Disarming them was the first step in that process. Joe Biden, Kamala and Beto were very clear on the firsts step. The Jews didn't think it could happen either!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'd have a problem with the government awarding the contract more so than the company performing the work.
And that sir is the root of the problem which has allowed several large corporations to perpetrate serious evils upon humanity. Your attitude is shared by far too many who fail to realize that injustice allowed to knock on someone else's door will soon visit their own door if allowed to remain unchecked.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts