SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've enough Sig rifles that I haven't fired two of them even after owning them for years. I want a Sig pistol next. However, I'm too lazy to look at all the variants and I will welcome suggestions on what would be the Best First Sig pistol to own.

My current preference is a 45 cal. as I already have some 9mm pistols. The bias is that I recently got a FNX 45 Tac. and they are soft shooters for a 45 cal. Is there a 45 variant that shoots as soft as the FNX Tac (have owned 1911 types years back for reference)? If not, then we move on to 9mm (no 40 please as I don't have enough space under the bed in the guestroom for additional types of ammo), what are your suggestions for a first Sig 9mm pistol? Maybe as further input, I do not intend to compete, am looking at carry or home defense.....I cannot even see holes made on paper at 10 yards! Thank you.

·
Registered
761 Posts
...I cannot even see holes made on paper at 10 yards! Thank you.
Reflex sights have changed my pistol enjoyment immensely. I couldn't see the target without my glasses,and couldn't see the sights with my glasses. Red dot sights changed that, so now I can see both with my glasses on. If you are in the same boat, I would recommend trying an RX variant.

I have the P320 RX in 9mm, I'm not sure how soft the 45 shoots. I stick to 9mm for cheap range ammo.

Reactions: marcoc

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reflex sights have changed my pistol enjoyment immensely. I couldn't see the target without my glasses,and couldn't see the sights with my glasses. Red dot sights changed that, so now I can see both with my glasses on. If you are in the same boat, I would recommend trying an RX variant.

I have the P320 RX in 9mm, I'm not sure how soft the 45 shoots. I stick to 9mm for cheap range ammo.
I do have the same issue with irons, I probably need a led light on the front sight to see it! All my pistols have red dot sights except the two I carry interchangeably. The RX models do look nice too (yes I do place some points on aesthetics otherwise i'd buy a Beretta APX!). Thanks!

·
Registered
486 Posts
P220 for 45. Pick a flavor you like.

P226 or 228 or 229 for 9mm. Once again, pick a flavor that appeals to you.

Each platform has flavors that range from plain vanilla to tutti-frutti. We can't tell you what flavor you'll prefer.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Wilson combat I shot during my deployment to Sarajevo shoots like butter...My dream gun....second is my Schweet shooting P220 Stainless Steel Elite......Peanut butter

·
Registered
23,615 Posts

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
Soft shooting 45? G30 is the softest shooting 45 I own! ;)
I agree. I will never forget how stunned I was the first time I pulled the trigger on a Glock 30. I fully expected the gun to jump out of my hand, but it was so smooth and easy shooting that I honestly thought the gun malfunctioned. No .45 had ever shot that gentle and smooth for me, and it is without a doubt the softest shooting 45 I've ever shot. I've shot numerous 1911s from the compact versions to the full size government models, the P220 and P245, Glock 21 and 41, M&P45 compact and full size...I've even shot a little .45LC derringer, and none of them come remotely close to the G30 when it comes to being a soft, smooth shooting 45. :cool:

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
Is there a 45 variant that shoots as soft as the FNX Tac (have owned 1911 types years back for reference)? If not, then we move on to 9mm (no 40 please as I don't have enough space under the bed in the guestroom for additional types of ammo), what are your suggestions for a first Sig 9mm pistol? Maybe as further input, I do not intend to compete, am looking at carry or home defense.....I cannot even see holes made on paper at 10 yards! Thank you.
Reference my post in response to Malicious Compliance regarding the softest shooting 45, but if you want a Sig 45 then I recommend the P220. It isn't nearly as soft shooting as the G30, but it is a very nice shooting gun.

However, given you're not sold on the 45 for recoil issues, and you've asked for input on a good platform for a 9mm Sig pistol, then I would recommend either the P226 or the P229. For the 226 I would recommend either the Legion or MK25, and for the 229 I would recommend the Legion. Both versions, the Legion and MK25, offer the most in terms of reliability, comfort of shooting, accessorizing, and capacity.

I love the MK25, which comes only in 9mm, b/c it is coated with phosphate inside and out, and it is a proven platform beyond measure. It seems to shoot a little quieter than other P226s, perhaps b/c of the coating, but I like everything about the gun for carry and home defense.

The Legions are fantastic guns in that they have taken everything great about the original versions and enhanced them to include fantastic triggers, awesome sights, nice G10 slip resistant grips, and low profile levers that seem to make the gun melt into your hands even more seamlessly than their predecessors. Given the fact that there is no real discernible difference in ballistic performance btwn the 9mm and 45, in terms of how a human body reacts to being shot with either, I recommend a 9mm for defense b/c it gives you more bullets with which to stay in the fight. It all comes down to what you want, but this is my input, FWIW.

·
🎖USMC Veteran Premium Member
4,572 Posts
Back in NY we had a LGS/range that would let you 'shoot before you buy'.

If you can't find a place like that go to a range that rents guns and try several. That way you can make a judgement on your own.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.