SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a really good deal on a P210A Target. Wasn't really in the market for one, but it was too good to pass up, and I figured I'd just end up flipping it at some point down the line.

For the two years prior to that, I'd been referring to my P226S X5 as my "bury me with it gun" because it was my dream Sig for years and I had finally managed to get my hands on one. Took both to the range after I received the P210A and ran several mags through both using the same ammo. I'll be darned if that P210 didn't have better groupings than the X5. :eek: :eek: I'm still somewhat in a daze, since I never thought another gun could win my heart.

I'm a believer now, even if it's an "American" 210 rather than a Swiss one. Like the P210 so much I'm selling the X5 (only so much room in my life for guns so try not to have too much $$ tied up in them).

·
Registered
207 Posts
Oh sure, I can believe you. I picked my 210 target when it first came out 2-3 years ago and it is the best modern production gun out there today I think. I also think that the breach system is superior to the old Swiss 210 fitted lug system as the barrel locks under tension and the lockup is more consistent and more repeatable and may also stay consistent over 10s of thousand rounds instead of drifting slowly as the gun wears in. Combined with a tight super smooth slide fit I have shot mine at 30 yards from a bag within 2'' with the right handloads. My eyes cant even do that any longer but it is the most accurate pistol I own. You can argue back/forth whatsoever but the bottom line is, this is a GREAT gun.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Ha!
I read this thread a month ago, and thought it was somebody’s dream. Today, I took my new 210 Target and my old German 226x5 Competition to the range, to see if I could get the same results. It was chrono day for a selection of factory and handloads. The X5 has a red dot, while the 210 has the green fiber optic and adjustable rear sights. Sandbag and two-hand grip used. Trigger pull on the X5 is 4#, on the 210 it is 3#. At 25 yards, the X5 won the 16-round battle using factory W-W 115gr FMJ. The 210 grouped the 115’s around the 9-ring. X5 was all 10’s or X’s. W-W 124gr NATO was the 210’s favorite. All rounds in the X and 10-ring. The X5 had several hit the 9-ring. I’ll call the 147gr +P factory Gold Dot ammo a tie. Neither shot the 147gr as well as they did the 124gr, but all the rounds stayed in the black with both pistols. Last Ammo was Nosler 147gr JHP over 5.8gr of BlueDot. This is a warm load. The 210 ate the center out of the target with this load. Any time I can outshoot a red dot equipped X5 with an iron sight pistol, I am impressed. The only difference between the two groups with this load amounted to more X counts from the 210. At the end of the session, both pistols had zero failures. I found the 210 to have a vastly superior trigger over the old X5,, with much less takeup or creep. The 210 trigger feels like the trigger on my Jim Clark wad gun, just a crisper letoff. I’ll give the win to the 210. Doesn’t hurt that the grips on the 210 not only look great, but feel great. I’ll be shooting this for Steel Challenge iron sight matches, even with the single-stack handicap. The X5 has two advantages over the 210, it has a red dot sight and a 17-round magazine. I’ll keep shooting it in Open class. The X5 is a heavy load for concealed carry, even though I have done so. The 210 fits in my Milt Sparks Summer Special perfectly, and is an easy carry, except for the thickness of the grips. I’ll have to look for some G10 type grips if I decide to carry this one. For those who hesitate to buy a P210 American-made Pistol, I would advise you to quit waiting, and buy one. I have multiple Sigs from Germany and the USA Legion pistols. The 210 beats them all.
Ha!

·
Registered
943 Posts
They really are two very different pistols. The P210 is a sleek, sexy single stack. The P226 X5 is a tank with a 19 round capacity. Both are beautiful, accurate and reliable pistols in their own rights, just different. It's OK to love 'em both.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have just got one recently and it’s really a great gun for big hands. On the downside, Sig should have upped the magazine capacity to at least 10 rd. Ideally 15. Also, should have been optic ready, there’s absolutely no point in trying to mimic the original.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I have just got one recently and it’s really a great gun for big hands. On the downside, Sig should have upped the magazine capacity to at least 10 rd. Ideally 15. Also, should have been optic ready, there’s absolutely no point in trying to mimic the original.
We're going to have to agree to disagree here. I think there is a great reason to "mimic the original". I have always wanted a P210 but have never come across one in person, and the ones for sale on the internet demanded outrageous prices. The reintroduction of the P210A gave me a chance to own a pistol I lusted after for 30 years. Smith is doing the same thing with their "Classic" series; Colt with their new Python, and I'm sure there are others.

I'm more a shooter than a collector. These reintroductions give me a chance to shoot classic guns. The really classic guns, like my old Python, I'm told not to shoot because they can't be repaired; parts aren't available and Colt doesn't want to touch them (!).

I have no problem with design and materials being updated as long as quality, reliability and accuracy aren't reduced. But give it a double stack mag, optic sights, etc. and that's not the classic P210 I wanted to own and shoot.

Of course, this is just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I tend to rate my handguns based on how accurately I shoot them.

My P210 (Swiss from 1958) has, until recently, been my pistol of choice.

Thanks to the crazy firearms market, and a few local consignment sales through my favorite shop, that preference now has gone to a Les Baer M1911a1 I acquired... But just barely, and then only for a .45acp pistol.

With both guns, I know that whatever distance from the center of target I hit is due to me and me alone.

Reactions: Bud Smith

·
Registered
562 Posts
These things happen, and I think speaks to something that handgun shooters don't put a lot of thought into and that's how well the gun fits your grip and shooting style. Even a gun that "feels" better in the hand may not shoot as well for you because of how it behaves under recoil in your own personal grip etc. Sometimes guns just surprise you and shoot way better than you expect, for example I shoot my Glock 43 as well as some of my full size guns, not because it's custom or has an amazing trigger/fit/finish etc., it's bone stock, but for whatever reason it just really fits my grip and shooting style.

That said there's 2 reasons I haven't bought and probably never will buy a P210A, I've shot a couple and they are nice range guns. It's not optics ready (I could forgive this one I'm still not a big optics convert but I value having the option) but it absolutely should have been a double stack, especially since they already changed plenty from the original so it's hardly a faithful reproduction. The grip has plenty of room to have made this a double stack, so the form wouldn't have had to change at all. I'm sure it was a cost decision, just like most of the changes to the P210 were, but the reality is making it a single stack means it's always going to be an low sales nitche range only gun, especially since it could have been optics ready and double stock with only the most minor visual changes to the gun.

For me the cost is too high as well for what it offers, this is subjective and of course being a Sig forum many are motivated to pay whatever Sig asks, but street price for a target P210A is $1350 ish. For $300 more I can get a CZ TSO that's optics ready, competition ready, double stack, with spare parts, 3 mags, and has a trigger that will hold its own against about anything short of a bullseye custom 1911.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am in the process of getting one, would you have any advice on what's the best way to get this done? I am considering buying a conversion plate from armory craft vs having it milled for RMRcc
If you have the Target version, I definitely recommend the Armory Craft one. It looks great and it doesn't require alteration of the gun or the plate (EGW requires you to drill your own holes in their plate). Of course, if you have the Standard version, that has a dovetail and you need to go with another brand.

·
Registered
254 Posts
If you have the Target version, I definitely recommend the Armory Craft one. It looks great and it doesn't require alteration of the gun or the plate (EGW requires you to drill your own holes in their plate). Of course, if you have the Standard version, that has a dovetail and you need to go with another brand.
The EGW is not the best choice for the target slide, it is however the only choice for the standard slide. The EGW just uses the dovetail to mount the adapter.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You guys have convinced me I am getting armory craft and vortex venom. How about suppressors for P210?

·
Registered
254 Posts
You guys have convinced me I am getting armory craft and vortex venom. How about suppressors for P210?
As far as I can tell, there does not seem to be a threaded barrel option for the P210A. Is there another method to attach a suppressor to a stock barrel, if not, it's not going to work. There are threaded barrels made for the P210, but I can't find one for the P210A.

·
Registered
45 Posts
As far as I can tell, there does not seem to be a threaded barrel option for the P210A. Is there another method to attach a suppressor to a stock barrel, if not, it's not going to work. There are threaded barrels made for the P210, but I can't find one for the P210A.
How do remove this pin holding the rear sight?

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
With a punch and a hammer. Hint: Don't remove it all the way, leave it partly in place on the side opposite the one you are using the punch on.

·
Registered
p226 Legion RX 9mm & p210 Standard G10 Grips w/x-ray sights
22 Posts
These things happen, and I think speaks to something that handgun shooters don't put a lot of thought into and that's how well the gun fits your grip and shooting style. Even a gun that "feels" better in the hand may not shoot as well for you because of how it behaves under recoil in your own personal grip etc. Sometimes guns just surprise you and shoot way better than you expect, for example I shoot my Glock 43 as well as some of my full size guns, not because it's custom or has an amazing trigger/fit/finish etc., it's bone stock, but for whatever reason it just really fits my grip and shooting style.

That said there's 2 reasons I haven't bought and probably never will buy a P210A, I've shot a couple and they are nice range guns. It's not optics ready (I could forgive this one I'm still not a big optics convert but I value having the option) but it absolutely should have been a double stack, especially since they already changed plenty from the original so it's hardly a faithful reproduction. The grip has plenty of room to have made this a double stack, so the form wouldn't have had to change at all. I'm sure it was a cost decision, just like most of the changes to the P210 were, but the reality is making it a single stack means it's always going to be an low sales nitche range only gun, especially since it could have been optics ready and double stock with only the most minor visual changes to the gun.

For me the cost is too high as well for what it offers, this is subjective and of course being a Sig forum many are motivated to pay whatever Sig asks, but street price for a target P210A is $1350 ish. For $300 more I can get a CZ TSO that's optics ready, competition ready, double stack, with spare parts, 3 mags, and has a trigger that will hold its own against about anything short of a bullseye custom 1911.
I completely respect your opinion. I just think that it's a different strokes thing. I have a p226 Legion SAO RX, but I like my p210 Standard better. In fact, I absolutely love it. So much so that it's my EDC...at least until the p210 Carry hits the market lol!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can't understand why you would say it is ugly?! Design is usually driven by purpose and a red dot sight serves a purpose. The only catch is mounting one to a specific firearm. From my perspective the Armory Craft mounting system is the best one going. I have Tijicon RMR's on many of my firearms so using the Armory Craft mount requires the adapter plate. It would be better if they made the actual mounting plate to fit directly to the pistol, but they don't. So be it. Once you get over the shock of seeing an RMR or any other optic on a pistol and put it into use any notion of ugliness goes out the window.

I also don't get this overwhelming idea of needing more ammunition in a P210? Why? There are other options out there if you feel short changed in the magazine capacity of a P210. If you need more ammunition that what a P210 has in the magazine perhaps you need more training time. I have to laugh almost every time I go to the range and watch guys with the big magazine capacity pistols. They are the ones that are going thru ammunition like they have a machine gun and their results on paper look like swiss cheese. They usually go thru 50 or 100 rounds of ammunition in the blink of an eye and consider themselves expert class marksmen with results on paper more appropriate to using buckshot loads from a shotgun. If you are ever involved in a real, not make believe, shooting situation you are going to have to account for each and every round you fired off. A courtroom is not the place you want to be when your round accountability comes into question, especially if an innocent person is hit by one of your errant rounds. You have no idea what stress is until you are sitting on a witness stand trying to explain your actions in a critical incident. When interviewed most people can't recall how many rounds they fired let alone where did each round go. I don't get it, the P210 carries more than enough ammunition for my needs. Slow down and learn how to shoot well. Slow and deliberate proper shot placement is what wins most gunfights for the good guys, not spray and pray. The more ammunition you have the more likely you are to fire off more ineffective rounds and that's a fact. Round accountability goes out the window with big capacity magazines. Now if you are talking about fast and fancy shooting competitions well that's another story, but a P210 can work in that arena too if you know what you are doing.

Rick H.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts