1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
...issue (Thread title was truncated)

I read the TTAG article this morning:

SIG SAUER Introduces 16 Inch MPX (GEN II) - The Truth About Guns

...and decided to get some clarity, as I have a Gen 1 MPX and want to put a .40 cal upper on it. So, I talked to Tim in Sig's Customer Service Department. Here is what I learned:

1. They will offer both Gen 1 and Gen 2 9mm magazines and will specify which is which going forward, as Gen 2 magazines will indeed not work in Gen 1 guns.

2. The .40 cal Gen 2 upper will work on Gen 1 9mm lowers. The .40 cal Gen 2 magazine will work with the Gen 1 lower.

3. Sig will offer Gen 2 uppers to Gen 1 owners at a considerable discount.

4. We agreed that an upper swap is better for a caliber change, as the zero on sights and optics flies out the window during just a barrel/bolt change. We both thought that having a dedicated and separately mounted/zeroed optic for each upper was a better option.

5. We agreed that having a Gen 1 lower registered on a Form 1 was a significant reason for them to have Gen 2 uppers to be compatible with Gen 1 lowers.

I hope this helps someone somewhere.

Chase

·
Registered
66 Posts
I also called and verified the above info.

The 9mm Gen 1 lower is not compatible with the Gen 2 upper in 9mm. The rep said the GEN 2 upper in .357 Sig and .40 cal. would fit on the gen 1 lower. Gen 2 Mags are not compatible with the Gen 1 MPX.

SIG said they would continue to sell Gen 1 mags and parts for the Gen 1 MPX.

At this point I have no faith that SIG will support the Gen 1 product at all since I have a stock and mags on back order from June. The advertising and previous information I was given was given regarding the MPX was misleading imo.

I've turned from a happy customer to disappointed customer with buyers remorse.

I honestly can't see myself ever buying a SIG product again and buy a lot of guns.

·
Registered
11 Posts

...and decided to get some clarity, as I have a Gen 1 MPX and want to put a .40 cal upper on it. So, I talked to Tim in Sig's Customer Service Department. Here is what I learned:

1. They will offer both Gen 1 and Gen 2 9mm magazines and will specify which is which going forward, as Gen 2 magazines will indeed not work in Gen 1 guns.

2. The .40 cal Gen 2 upper will work on Gen 1 9mm lowers. The .40 cal Gen 2 magazine will work with the Gen 1 lower.

4. We agreed that an upper swap is better for a caliber change, as the zero on sights and optics flies out the window during just a barrel/bolt change. We both thought that having a dedicated and separately mounted/zeroed optic for each upper was a better option.

5. We agreed that having a Gen 1 lower registered on a Form 1 was a significant reason for them to have Gen 2 uppers to be compatible with Gen 1 lowers.

Chase

So - Correct me if I'm reading this wrong - the GENII 9mm upper will not work with a GENI 9mm Lower, but the other two calibers are compatible? Makes no sense at all to me if this is true.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did not ask that question. Bigcat100 made that claim above. It seems to me that if you have a Gen 1 9mm gun, you don't need a Gen 2 9mm upper because you already have a Gen 1 9mm upper. Maybe you could call Sig and find out for sure?

·
Registered
2,343 Posts

Chase
Is that on alternate Tuesday's with a full moon in even numbered month's?

·
Registered
571 Posts
This is going to be interesting to watch going forward, I'm glad I'm still a spectator and have resisted jumping in. Nothing like taking 2.5 years to hit shelves and still executed so poorly the updates render it non-forwards compatible in it's first 6 months. In my industry we'd call that a complete design/prototyping/testing failure.

This is exactly why you should never EVER buy into a product right out of the gate these days. Too many companies consider paying customers alpha/beta testers. I wouldn't even touch a Gen 2 for another year after they hit the market in quantity, after this. All products go through small changes and improvements over their lifespan, but this is just sad, SIG should be ashamed.

Gen I 9mm mag prices are probably going to get stupid ridiculous now, if indeed Gen 2 9mm mags will not be compatible. Especially considering how few have made it to the market and how high demand has been the last few months. At least it sounds like the .40 Gen 2 mags will work in the Gen I, so that will help guys wanting to do caliber changes. If Gen I owners get lucky maybe the Gen 2 9mm mags will work in the Gen I's and it just hasn't been tested. I doubt it though, the feed lips are very different, and it would be a lot cheaper for SIG if they could just produce Gen 2 mags if they functioned properly.

Chase: One reason some guys are probably upset that the Gen I guns won't take a Gen 2 9mm upper is that they bought one with the idea of getting a second 4.5" 9mm upper to run suppressed.

This is the company that people think can make an X-five as good as their German counterparts? I wouldn't hold my breath.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
What I'm curious about now is just how many Gen 1's are out there? Think they will issue a recall on them or find a way to make it right? Sig really needs to get their act together with this one or they will have A LOT of former customers. IMHO they need to go back to the basics and stop trying to have all the cute and colored guns and make guns that have been proven to be work horses. Having a diverse catalog doesn't mean squat if none of them are selling, or if your only selling one of this one and one of that one. Henry Ford had it right....you can have any color as long as its black.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Chase: One reason some guys are probably upset that the Gen I guns won't take a Gen 2 9mm upper is that they bought one with the idea of getting a second 4.5" 9mm upper to run suppressed.
Exactly. This is the boat I'm in. I just put one on layaway on Friday. It has an ambi charging handle but its a gen 1, I checked yesterday. Now this Gen 2 b.s comes out over the weekend.

I'm fine with having to have gen 2 mags for a gen 2 upper in another caliber. There is no problem there.

However, I went into this with the plan of getting the 4.5 barrel and running it suppressed but I would also like to switch back and shoot the 8 inch not suppressed. But based on what is said above I won't even have the option of getting a different 9mm barrel or upper. Even if the gen 2 9mm upper did fit I would still have to use different magazines for each upper even though they are the same caliber!! I am getting really ****** just typing this. I was really excited about this project too. Maybe they will let me back out of the layaway. I foresee an unfair and deceptive trade practices lawsuit against sig over the mpx at least as far as the inability to switch barrels as that was a main marketing strategy. That combined with the fact that they did not even do an official release of the gen 2 changes before they were available on the market. Is also appears they are shipping out both gens simultaneously without official notice or publication of the differences at the same price point. It does seem like they are trying to make it right with the discounts on uppers and so on but the mag issue is gonna be a hard one for the gen 1 owners to swallow due to the incompatibility with the 9mm gen 2

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think SIG's only commitment is too their bottom line. I think anyone who feels the need to posses one of these should wait for the gen 3 or 4. It amazes me that with the best materials and manufacturing technology ever available, so much of these "new and improved" designs don't work as well as mid 20th century ones did and still do.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I am really disappointed to read this. I have had magazines on order for several months. I have little hope now that they will ever become plentiful and come down to a reasonable price. I was thinking about buying a new Legion this weekend. I won't now. I feel screwed.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Stuff like this is why I never buy first gen products, whether its guns, cars or anything else. I got lucky and threw the dice on the Gen 1 516... but the gas systems still isn't great. Especial compared to the gen 2's.

...I honestly can't see myself ever buying a SIG product again and buy a lot of guns.

I'm officially no longer a SIG customer.
Ford F'ed up with the Pinto and the Mustang II, but the F150 and the Mustang GT500 are two of the greatest American vehicles ever made.

I wouldn't toss the whole brand because they have made an engineering fubar that they can never make-up for.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought a gen 1 and I was excited to see future products for it. Saying I am extremely disappointed is an understatement. If it's as bad as it sounds, Sig can shove these guns right up their asses. I'm done with them.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Stuff like this is why I never buy first gen products, whether its guns, cars or anything else. I got lucky and threw the dice on the Gen 1 516... but the gas systems still isn't great. Especial compared to the gen 2's.

Ford F'ed up with the Pinto and the Mustang II, but the F150 and the Mustang GT500 are two of the greatest American vehicles ever made.

I wouldn't toss the whole brand because they have made an engineering fubar that they can never make-up for.
I'm not one to throw the baby out with the bath water but the Gen 2 mag debacle was the straw the broke the camel's back. They had years of R&D to address any issues, unforgivable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
found some MPX mags in stock

DeGuns.net has about 60 mags in stock and I just ordered 3 and confirmed with them that they have them. The website was a little glitchy and it took a couple attempts but it went through.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.