SIG Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was this made for? There is no NATO stamp, not 5.56 and as mentioned before the primer pockets have to be swaged to be reloaded because they are like the military primers. Thanks and God bless.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
Those are Federal with Non-Toxic (hence NT) primers. They are crimped like military brass so it needs to be swaged like you found out. They’re commercial brass that was crimped.

Send them to me so I can swaged it on my Dillon.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't Federal make the NT's in 45acp with the small primer? Seems like I remember that. I am getting some brass ready to sale. It is going to be a few days before I am ready. Thanks for your very kind offer. God bless .

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
Yes they made in .45. They also made them 9mm.

I ran across those when processing 9mm and .223 brass on my RL1100. In fact, that’s my main reason in buying the machine since I keep on breaking the plastic ring indexer in my 650.

·
Banned
1,697 Posts
OP,
The primers were crimped in your ATK / Federal Cartridge 223 brass for a reason...to be fired ONCE & discarded/sold for scrap.

ATK was run out of Lake City Army Ammunition Plant for various reasons.

·
Registered
17,486 Posts
OP,
The primers were crimped in your ATK / Federal Cartridge 223 brass for a reason...to be fired ONCE & discarded/sold for scrap.

No, they're crimped because they were made to sell to the government where it's a requirement. They certainly wouldn't go to the extra effort so people wouldn't reload them as swaging or reaming crimps out of brass is done by millions of reloaders on a daily basis, and I'm one of those as are a bunch of other members of this board.

·
Registered
34 Posts
OP,

Not sure I agree with that on its face, although that is the final outcome where military used brass is concerned.

Pretty sure milspec brass is crimped because of the varying degree of harsh conditions military ammo undergoes in combat situations. We were always told, by our armorers, that the primers are crimped because of headspace issues that occur after prolonged automatic fire that, especially during WW II, eventually led to primers backing-out and causing major safety and reliability issues. Another benefit that was realized once they started crimping was that it helped waterproof the round, to some degree, and that the crimps were bolstered with a sealant during Vietnam that completely sealed the primer pocket thus further waterproofing the case. So, in essence, the crimps serve two purposes. The sealant, I understand, is visible as that little red ring often seen around crimped primers on milspec once fired brass.

With that said, my Grandpappy who taught me how to reload back in the 70s and who was a WWII 1st Cav guy ... he always sealed his primer pockets with shellac and later with fingernail polish ... which I still do with fingernail polish today when reloading 5.56 and 7.62 and some of my personal defense 9mm loads. Now he always told me it was for both waterproofing and to seal the primer into the pocket. I do it. I dunno if it does anything that might prevent a back-out but I do feel that it has some waterproofing properties.

Crimping is important to the military but it does not, nor was it meant-to, render the brass unusable. Where swaging and reaming sometimes causes a problem is when reloaders are sometimes overzealous when reaming the crimp out and thus enlarging the pocket beyond acceptable standards.

I've reamed and swaged a lot of once fired military brass over the years ... you don't have to overdo it. My gun club bought two 55 gallon drums of 5.56 brass at a Fort Jackson surplus auction one time and I got my fair share. I'm still using a lot of that brass and still have a couple of tubs unloaded but man oh man it was a chore prepping those pockets .... took me a couple of years off and on. I bough a RCBS case prepper specifically to tackle that job and wore-out a couple of reamers and brushes in the process. That case prepper paid for itself x10.

·
Banned
1,697 Posts
Best to reference/read/heed the DOD/TM prior to spouting internet (bleep)
There is more to manufacturing mil spec ammo than a crimped &/or sealed primer.
hint:
pull a projectile from DOD contracted mil spec ammo,as the bullet is sealed ALSO!
(from WW1 to the present & among other head stamp & projectile marking requirements)

not my first rodeo
not rocket science...either!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts