SIG Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...I bought another one, even though I didn't need it. Got a screaming deal on the–from what I can tell serial number-wise–newer, or should I say possibly last run out of Switzerland, with the Meprolight Tru-Dot green night sights installed. My other starts S14A300, while these are S15A300. I enjoy this pistol so much, that I thought I'd get another as a backup and hope for the best. My first one had the earlier serial issues of the barrel and slide lock being out of spec. Once Kriss USA took care of it, it has run flawlessly.
I took the new acquired one out for some plinking (albeit a bit worried that they might not have smoothed out the kinks since the troublesome initial runs–it's near impossible to research whether they have or not online, since I think most potential buyers were scared off by all of the Internet negative press). I am happy to report that so far out of 15 magazines through it that it ran as it should. Hitting steel from 7, 10 and 25 yards (probably more like 22) with relative ease. Didn't need this beauty, but glad I picked it up.
Yeah, I have a Sphinx Subcompact problem...

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Where are you finding these? I really wanted one when I first heard of them but stopped looking a little while ago because I never found one for sale anywhere so I went back to buying Sigs. I just looked and there is ONE on gunbroker.

How do you like the SDP Subcompact compared to a 229?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Where are you finding these? I really wanted one when I first heard of them but stopped looking a little while ago because I never found one for sale anywhere so I went back to buying Sigs. I just looked and there is ONE on gunbroker.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Your a brave man Mr. Sawyer. About 2 years ago I was 1 click away from owning one but didn't pull the trigger (pun intended). I was one that got scared off. They are sweet looking guns and when they work are pretty awesome from those how have them. Good for you, looks pretty awesome. That's what the sig 224 should have been.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

You can typically check availability on Gunwatcher.com for virtually any type of firearm. Prepper Guns in Grand Forks, ND typically has Sphinx pistols in stock. Great place, and super-fast shipping. If you 'Make an Offer', they will usually accept it, so long as it isn't outlandish. I got mine for far below what they're selling for on their site or on GB's starting price.

If you check most of my threads, I'm typically a P228/P229 fanboy, and it shows. I am a non-rail, un-tacticool kind of gun buyer, so I don't care for railed P229s–German or Exeter-made. However, that said, I can tell you that as nice as the P229s are in fit-and-finish, the Sphinx is just ridiculous. You can read about it here, as I go into some detail about its craftsmanship:

http://sigtalk.com/guns/41362-sweet-swiss-sphinx-sdp-subcompact-how-s-alliteration.html

Currently, the Sphinx Subcompact and Sig P229 (especially the SAS)/P228/M11-A1 variants are my favorite pistols made, period (I should qualify that with 'production'...I guess I am fond of and quite partial to my Dan Wesson Valors and Ed Brown, but those aren't the discussion here). While both the P229 and SDP are very accurate, the Sphinx is above the Sig in almost every regard–for me, that is. I find the trigger just remarkable out of the box; even compared to an SRT, though that might be splitting hairs, IMO. It is easier for me to quickly get back on target faster with the Sphinx over the P229, with follow-up shots a cinch.
I can keep reporting back here on its performance/reliability if it helps make your decision easier. A year or so ago, I might not have been so eager, as reports of buyers trailed-off. When I saw a different serial designation and the Meprolights, I figured I had nothing to lose here; the price just put it all into motion.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I had my sc model for around six months. A trouble gun for me. An out of spec. barrel chamber. You would fire a round and the gun would lock up with a live round in the chamber and i was unable to fire the round or pull the slide back. A drop test of the barrel chamber with ten different brands of ammo eight out ten would not work. Sent it in for repair and the gun came back with the same problem.The company stinks the don't answer the phone. Sent them emails and they would not reply. Returned the gun were i bought it told them the problem with the gun for a loss of $300.00 on a trade in. I have Sig's, STI, S&W, Colt, DW, Glock and others that work fine, Sphinx not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE (as of today):

I put 221 more rounds through it with 115gr Freedom Munitions ammo (new and reman). Flawless so far. Just an update is all. I will do another couple hundred-plus rounds update this week; that should put it over 600 by then...hopefully without incident. Very encouraging.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Glad you are enjoying your twins! Last month, I decided to move from Glock. I narrowed my options down to the Sig Legion (my choice) and Sphinx (my sons choice). A LGS rents both so my son and I took advantage and rented both. We started with the Sphinx then got the Legion. We shot 50 rounds through each pistol. My son shot each pistol first and after the first magazine in the Legion he felt the Sig would be a better option. A few days later, I purchased a 229 Legion.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Put another 156 rounds through it in the backyard this afternoon. Other than me shooting just a hair low on steel targets, it is running like a top. I feel very confident in this particular version/run of SDP subcompact pistol.
I've run Federal, Georgia Arms, Freedom Munitions, LAX and a smattering of HD ammo (mostly HST and Speer Gold Dot)—anywhere from 115gr, 124gr and +p—without it giving me any issues as reported with the earlier ones (around late '14 and throughout '15, in general). I probably won't revisit this thread again, unless I encounter something out of the ordinary; you know, to apprise interested members of a potential problem.

Kriss/Sphinx may have fallen out of favor for the American market in a multitude of ways over the past few years (a problematical pistol to market; a promise of product never coming to market; lack of/next-to-no accessories; hit-and-miss CS...oh, and then there's the over-inflated bankruptcy thing that scared-off anyone ever considering a Sphinx pistol of any kind), but I am hopeful they turn it around some time down the road. The nicest CZ clone deserves better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts