SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I walk our 2 german shepherds every weekend together... We live on a gravel country road... Sunday morning walk, a raccoon attacked us.... It was to say the least a fight to the death. I had to draw and fire from 10 ft at a moving target trying to kill my dogs... On command my dogs stood down for a second, i fired 4 rounds and killed the raccoon.
The reason i post this, I never saw my sights, I never saw my dogs, I saw the threat and fired till it stopped....
I had 3 hits, last one thru the face that ended the fight.
The adrenline dump was much for an old guy like me, 48 not 28 anymore...
I do not have any recall other than my wife screaming, dogs barking, and ending the fight.
My dogs are fine, my wife said Im her hero... I can only think about what if I wasnt carrying my gun.... How fulking helpless id have been.....
2nd thing, dont waste money on fancy sights, u never see em when it matters.

Premium Member
Glad you were able to handle the situation and everyone is ok. Thanks for the after-action evaluation and experience with the sights.

Reactions: SlySleuth and 34817

Resident Armorer Premium Member
I'm glad everything turned out in your favor!

It's not only human predators we have to guard against. Urbanization has created wildlife that are unafraid of humans.

Registered
Wow, even on a wild animal, it must have been very intense to use your weapon to protect your family. Glad it turned out for the best. Would you share what you were carrying?

Registered
Amazing. The last fight I had a fight with a raccoon I had a no canine backup and was armed only with a broom. I won (of course, still here to tell the tale), however, I was 28 at the time and in great shape. I was in California at the time visiting family, so packing wouldn't have been an option. Now that I've gotten older, I am scared to go back and visit because I can't pack there and fear a similar incident.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Being that i have some medical training in advanced combat wounds I had to go back and disect the critter... Last bullet entered forhead and lodged in rectum. Broke the sturnum, exploded the heart, and killed everything in between. First 3 shots 2 lung hits and a miss. But it was still moving towards us. Been outa the game for a long time, first time in many years ive gone red.... And it was just an animal! Had many bourbons last night, took today off.

Registered
First item, Congratulations. While others are not aware, Raccoons are the most likely to carry the Rabies virus of the Semi Domesticated animals. SO when you encounter one that is very aggressive like that, they are either ill, Or defending a Litter nearby.

I say "Semi Domesticated" because like others I have raised them as a Very Young kid. They are intelligent (More then dogs or cats) and easily domesticated in a home. They will use a Litter box exclusively once they see the cats do it.

The two problems with them are
1. They are nocturnal. So unless you are a night owl, they will usually keep you up most of the night. (They love and thrive on Dry Cat food.)
2. They are natural climbers. So much worse then Cats. You will find them in the house always climbing up to the highest point. Which is bad on Drapes. (Past experience)

Second Item. You have encountered the famous "Combat Freeze" and "Tunnel Vision" that troops have to train to avoid. We humans are Binocular omnivore and as such have a tendency to get "Target Focused". and after a conflict, you have to let the adrenaline bleed off.

Better you encounter this with a animal then humans. Humans are usually slower and larger so they easier to hit. But they bleed a lot longer.

Banned
I always wonder how I will respond, what I will actually see, in a situation like this. I've heard accounts, like yours, where the shooter said he never saw the sights. I've also heard accounts where the shooter said he saw the front sight post so intently that he could see each ridge and every detail. It is fascinating to get access to accounts like these, though. Thanks for the insight!

Registered
A single racoon tried to kill you and your two German Sheppards?
How did it 'attack' you and them? Jump out of a tree and go for your neck?
Or was it just crossing the road and you took the opportunity to try out HSTs on something that WAS living?

Premium Member
A few years back we had a deer in rut attack a man out for a walk, he was injured rather badly.
Our former governor Rick Perry shot and killed a coyote attacking his dog while on a walk with a Ruger LCP .

Good shooting on that racoon, glad all is well.

Banned
A single racoon tried to kill you and your two German Sheppards?
How did it 'attack' you and them? Jump out of a tree and go for your neck?
Or was it just crossing the road and you took the opportunity to try out HSTs on something that WAS living?
*giggle*
These guys didn't take it serious either...won't make that mistake again.
http://https://youtu.be/Nvs5pqf-DMA

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.