SIG Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not being able to find a Sig branded .357 in a 1911 I had no choice to find another option. Tonight I finished supersizing the caliber to my Rock Island 10mm. The mags hold 16 rounds, and with a 6" bbl the muzzle blast should be quite a bit less than my P229. Range trip soon.

·
Premium Member
P320 X-Compact, P320 AXG Scorpion
11,810 Posts
Very nice. Congrats.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I got to the range with the RIA/R1 and my P229, and it went pretty much as expected. Note, the 229 in NOT being criticized here, I brought it along for comparison only.

I had one factory .357 Sig load, the Federal 125 grain FMJ "classic", they fed, extracted, and ejected perfectly and at 40 ft. I made one ragged hole in the target.

My home cast 139gr LRN bullet loads (using re-formed .40 brass) which cycled my P229 (and P226 in the past) flawlessly had issues with the longslide latching the slide on the last round, no surprise at all. This load is a "medium" on the load scale, and I have to work it upwards for the longslide.

The differences between shooting the P229 and RIA/R1 were pretty much also as expected.

Recoil? The 6" RIA/R1 is a dream to shoot. Yeah, it's not a carry gun but it does what I knew an all steel 6" barreled auto (not my first or last) would do, tame the load a LOT. Maybe if Bambi secret agent were compelled to carry a larger firearm the .357 Sig (maybe a P220 in .357) may have stayed on more fed hips? :)

Muzzle blast? Nope, not any. I deliberately selected a lane which had the lights burned out and no flash at all of either of the walls of my booth! Every flake of powder must have been burned, and the volume / sound of the blast was directed out and sideways in the open range. The P229 OTOH lit the walls up like a camera flash and recoil was as everyone expects in a light short barreled auto, fairly stout and loud.

Overall feel on the longslide was a bit of a suprise. I have a Springfield (longslide) V16 in .45 with a second R1 long slide for it in .40 S&W and the overall feel of the extraction, ejection and feed is poky in these two calibers (s-l-o-w) by comparison. The overall feel with .357 loads is more like a 5" 1911 in 9mm but with even less recoil.

Next up as I'm able I'm going to juice up my 139 grain loads, but this time instead of wax lube I'll use a bunch I made up with powder coating on them and I'll visit the range with an all steel Beretta X'performance also in .357 Sig.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts