SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Medford Gentleman Jack is the blue knife with CPM-S35vn blade is a solid knife but wasn't as sharp as I would like from the factory. It makes me want to buy another Medford because of the build quality but skeptical because of the lack of sharpness and cost

Zero Tolerance 0230 is the sheepsfoot blade in the middle with S-20v blade and is sharp as hell and lightweight. I will buy more ZT knives in the future

Benchmade is the one with the clip point blade on top with S90V blade and is the middle of the road knife because its built more solid than the ZT but not as solid as the Medford but is sharper than the Medford. Its also on sale at Blade HQ for like 40% off of regular price because Benchmade quit making this model supposedly. This is my 4th Benchmade

I bought these because I really like pocket knives without pocket clips which are frowned upon at work even though they know we have to have them to open boxes and sometimes use them to strip wires etc. I have carried the Medford for two weeks and attempted to sharpen it and did make some improvements but its still not sharp. It cuts like a more solid knife than the Case pocket knives I have used for work for the past 21 years and the benchmade mini barrage which I have abused for years now

·
Premium Member
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum and thats a nice knife. I bought the Case copper lock earlier in the year but the Case medium stockman I have owned for probably 20 years or so and have definitely got my moneys worth out of it.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
A old pocket knife is like a old friend. (y)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I have lots of knives for lots of purposes. I do like a casual "gentlemen's knife". Has anybody else looked at the "Deejo" line of pocket knives? Not serious EDC but really high on the "cool" factor. Three sizes and a mind boggling list of materials and options. Looks like a real nice gift or just a conversation piece. Not too expensive. See what you guys think of them .... 🦝

Check out www.Deejo.com.

(couldn't get the pics from their website to load here)

Reactions: wcoyne

·
Premium Member
Sig Fanatic
306 Posts
Some pretty nice knives guys (y)

Probably the closest thing I have to a more "traditional" gentleman's knife right now would be my Delica 4 with Pakkawood Scales.
It kinda carries off some of the styling queues with classic wood scales and a back lock 🤷‍♂️
20201118_215058661_iOS.jpg
Something I would consider a more "modern" gentleman's knife involves metal rather than wood, Titanium, Copper or Brass.
Here are some of my idea of gentleman's knives from my collection.
Copper and Black is a Civivi Elementum, Copper and Damascus is a Civvi Baklash and lastly the Titanium is a Spyderco Para 3.
20201222_223154587_iOS.jpg 20201222_223033277_iOS.jpg 20201222_180510277_iOS.jpg 20201222_180518084_iOS.jpg 20201222_180456712_iOS.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't bought any Spyderco knives yet but came close to getting a Smock a while back. I haven't really looked at Civivi knives yet. I don't really like the scales on most of the Spyderco knives but the ones you posted all look nice.

·
Premium Member
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have lots of knives for lots of purposes. I do like a casual "gentlemen's knife". Has anybody else looked at the "Deejo" line of pocket knives? Not serious EDC but really high on the "cool" factor. Three sizes and a mind boggling list of materials and options. Looks like a real nice gift or just a conversation piece. Not too expensive. See what you guys think of them .... 🦝

Check out www.Deejo.com.

(couldn't get the pics from their website to load here)

I have never heard of them and they look interesting.

·
Premium Member
Sig Fanatic
306 Posts
I haven't bought any Spyderco knives yet but came close to getting a Smock a while back. I haven't really looked at Civivi knives yet. I don't really like the scales on most of the Spyderco knives but the ones you posted all look nice.
The Titanium Spyderco Para 3 is a custom. It originally came with Black G10 scales like the one pictured here with the We Knive Co Banter..
20201201_002040336_iOS.jpg 20201201_002012106_iOS.jpg
There is a pretty extensive market for scales and hardware to customize most popular knives these days.
Looking at picking up another custom Para 3 after the Holidays, similar to this one. The custom G10 is sculpted.
s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg
A little context is in order, I worked at and attended Clemson University....Go Tigers :giggle:
My younger daughter is graduating from Clemson this month 🧡(y)
My son is working on his gen ed requirements and will eventually transfer there as well (y)(y)
Needless to say, our blood runeth ORANGE 🧡(y)(y)
Gotta remember to have him swap out the blue hardware for Clemson Purple....

Civivi (budget division of We Knife Co) is really coming out with some great options at really reasonable prices.
They have several models in the Elementum line with S35VN steel under $100.
I have the version with the stonewashed S35VN blade with Natural G10.
They also offer this knife with a satin S35VN blade and Dark Green Micarta scales.
20201224_050856287_iOS.jpg 20201224_050905158_iOS.jpg 20201224_050918804_iOS.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Titanium Spyderco Para 3 is a custom. It originally came with Black G10 scales like the one pictured here with the We Knive Co Banter..
View attachment 378576 View attachment 378577
There is a pretty extensive market for scales and hardware to customize most popular knives these days.
Looking at picking up another custom Para 3 after the Holidays, similar to this one. The custom G10 is sculpted.
View attachment 378578 View attachment 378579 View attachment 378580 View attachment 378581
A little context is in order, I worked at and attended Clemson University....Go Tigers :giggle:
My younger daughter is graduating from Clemson this month 🧡(y)
My son is working on his gen ed requirements and will eventually transfer there as well (y)(y)
Needless to say, our blood runeth ORANGE 🧡(y)(y)
Gotta remember to have him swap out the blue hardware for Clemson Purple....

Civivi (budget division of We Knife Co) is really coming out with some great options at really reasonable prices.
They have several models in the Elementum line with S35VN steel under $100.
I have the version with the stonewashed S35VN blade with Natural G10.
They also offer this knife with a satin S35VN blade and Dark Green Micarta scales.
View attachment 378584 View attachment 378585 View attachment 378583

Nice knives!! I have been to two football games at Clemson and thats a nice campus and place to watch a game. I live around 2.5 hours from there

·
Registered
18 Posts
Good morning and Hello! First post - NICE KNIVES!!! Love a good knife! I have entirely too many, I'll share as time goes on. Here is my EDC - at this time anyway, and for the last year or so...

wcoyne knows the knife...

·
Premium Member
4,630 Posts
I like the knives offered by Queen Cutlery.

This is my latest: Winterbottom Bone scales, Four-blade Congress Style.
My favorite style is a slip-joint Trapper (like the blue-scaled Case above) that's what I prefer to carry.
I really like the sheepsfoot, Benchmade you showed us, especially the carbon fiber scales.:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good morning and Hello! First post - NICE KNIVES!!! Love a good knife! I have entirely too many, I'll share as time goes on. Here is my EDC - at this time anyway, and for the last year or so...

wcoyne knows the knife...

View attachment 378589

Welcome to the forum and that looks like a Benchmade Proper from what I can see. I like the pouch also

·
Premium Member
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I like the knives offered by Queen Cutlery.
View attachment 378590
This is my latest: Winterbottom Bone scales, Four-blade Congress Style.
My favorite style is a slip-joint Trapper (like the blue-scaled Case above) that's what I prefer to carry.
I really like the sheepsfoot, Benchmade you showed us, especially the carbon fiber scales.:cool:
The bench made with sheepsfoot is 139 right now at Blade HQ. Some other distributors might have it lower. I would have bought the sheepsfoot if I didn't have the ZT in sheepsfoot and want a variety. I use the sheepsfoot blade on my Case knife a lot at work for opening boxes and stripping wire or cables

·
Premium Member
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I also have the ZT 0230 - great little modern slipjoint, with a useful blade profile.

and speaking of 'modern slipjoints,' I'm also a big fan of this Lionsteel spearpoint Barlow :

I will have to check out Lionsteel knives. They look nice and some have some good blade steels

·
Registered
18 Posts
Welcome to the forum and that looks like a Benchmade Proper from what I can see. I like the pouch also
Thank you - and yes it is a Proper. I have both the clip point and the sheepsfoot models. I do like a good sheepsfoot, and have one each Grip and mini-Grip with the hollow ground sheepsfoot, now discontinued. They are occupying drawer space along with a few others. I keep most all I get, But did part with a serialized Super Freak, and have a Barrage on the block. just no use for either, Barrage was my first BM, and after two weeks, I got a Foray and never carried the Barrage again. A year later I found a Stryker, that replaced the Foray, and it is in the drawer now. Sometime later, with a few in-betweens, I broke down and got the 940 - which I swore I would never do - and as I said, it's been in my pocket ever since that day. Others may tag along, but the 940 is constant, so far.

Reactions: wcoyne

·
Premium Member
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you - and yes it is a Proper. I have both the clip point and the sheepsfoot models. I do like a good sheepsfoot, and have one each Grip and mini-Grip with the hollow ground sheepsfoot, now discontinued. They are occupying drawer space along with a few others. I keep most all I get, But did part with a serialized Super Freak, and have a Barrage on the block. just no use for either, Barrage was my first BM, and after two weeks, I got a Foray and never carried the Barrage again. A year later I found a Stryker, that replaced the Foray, and it is in the drawer now. Sometime later, with a few in-betweens, I broke down and got the 940 - which I swore I would never do - and as I said, it's been in my pocket ever since that day. Others may tag along, but the 940 is constant, so far.

The mini barrage was my pocket knife that I carried daily for probably the past 5 years. I only carried the case while at work. I have a Benchmade AFO and another auto that I wish I hadn't purchased because it more work to open it than use the assist on the mini Barrage. The AFO is too bulky in my opinion to pocket carry and have a cellphone in the same pocket. I have a cracked screen on my phone because I carried it one day with the phone.

I started just carrying a gentleman's knife a few months back again after carrying a variety of clipped knives for years along with it.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I bought a Moore Maker 6101 which is a 3" single blade lockback with an antler handle many years ago. Mostly I carry a Kershaw Leek but when I need a smaller knife I'll throw the Moore in my pocket. Solid built little knife. Checked their website and don't think it is made anymore.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
When I carry the Proper on it's own, its in this pocket-clip slip... yes, there is a clip on the other side.

Before scale change.

After scale change.

Reactions: Papa Sig and wcoyne
1 - 20 of 35 Posts