SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a nice P224 SAS .40 that will continue to be my daily carry, as I hit much better than with my P229 SAS (sold) and as well as my '87 P226 Herndon (not for sale, but never going to carry).

I realize the locking blocks are the Achilles Heel of this weapon, as the only other rails on this thing are @ an inch on the back.

Sig seems to not even be making support/backup parts for this weapon anymore, not even barrels. I understand the Limited run of the P229C weapon was essentially to use all the leftover P224 parts, but even those had a full, conventional rail on them.

My question is a simple one; I bought this weapon new, and once it came back from the shop fixing the crappy summer 2013 run, it has been my favorite and again, most accurate Sig to shoot. What will happen when the locking block eventually fails, and Sig needs to fix it on a warranty repair with NO PARTS to exchange with it?

Any ideas what Sig will do? I fully expect to have this integrated locking block/rail fail in the future, as it is obviously showing some wear presently.

Thoughts? Guesses? I love this little 224...but, like the P229C, I have always used it with a full-size P229-1 mag, as it's easier to draw, and gives me plenty of purchase for my extra-large meat-hooks!

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
23,609 Posts
LeftCoast!!!

Good to see you back! Been missing you and a lot of the gang that was here when I joined!!

I would imagine that SIG will have a stock of parts on hand to repair these for a while. I may be wrong, but I think that they keep parts for repairs that are sent in to them even when they stop selling the parts. And I'm sure there are armorers and parts dealers that will have them available.

You might start seeing if you can find some of these. One person that I and others here have purchased parts from is Chris Opila of Opila Arms. He might have some spare parts for the P224.

Home

Reactions: LeftCoast

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just bought the P229C in 9 mm and you are scaring me. Are you saying I will not be able to buy replacement parts?
The direct quote from Sig CS today was, "We used the rest of the P224 parts to do a limited run on the P229C, and neither barrels nor other parts are expected to be available in the future." Obviously, I should have posed this question to him today, but I was mainly interested in getting a barrel.

Where I think you might be in a much better place for parts is that your run of P229C had the full, normal rails for most all Sigs, and you also had the P229 full-size grip, so short of needing to replace your frame, you should be okay. And given that same info as I was writing, Sig probably still HAS the special locking block/rail combo parts set aside in a storage warehouse somewhere, as they DIDN'T use these special locking block/rail combos in your weapon...unless they decide to remelt these blocks for raw materials for other weapons, we should be fine. If not, and they can't perform a warranty repair, I'd assume I would get credit on another weapon, but who knows? Either way, I believe you're in better shape than am I.

When I first saw the P229C, I thought it was a dumb move on Sig's part because you can just make your own 229C by simply running with the p229-1 extended mag...which I've been doing from nearly day one anyways. But I hadn't yet learned the entire function of the P229C was to use-up parts from the defunct P224. You're good, because the handle is the same as a p229, so the normal trigger spring assembly should also be the same.

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LeftCoast!!!

Good to see you back! Been missing you and a lot of the gang that was here when I joined!!

I would imagine that SIG will have a stock of parts on hand to repair these for a while. I may be wrong, but I think that they keep parts for repairs that are sent in to them even when they stop selling the parts. And I'm sure there are armorers and parts dealers that will have them available.

You might start seeing if you can find some of these. One person that I and others here have purchased parts from is Chris Opila of Opila Arms. He might have some spare parts for the P224.

Home
Thanks for the info, GBIA, and for the welcome back! It's been a busy year in the LC household, but things are settling-down.

I hope you and your family are well, and that none of you have any preexisting conditions!

Have a great night, and weekend (after tomorrow), and we'll see you around more this year...I promise!

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
+1 on Chris Opila. I have made 3 purchases from him in the last 2 months. Easy to work with. Knows Sigs. Access to Sig Stuff.
Thanks for the second opinion, ma6907. I certainly hope Chris is just revamping his website, as that link seems to be just a "website place-holder" page.

Thanks again for the input!

·
Registered
7 Posts
That makes me feel a little better. I am not in a situation to buy multiple pistols so I bought the P229C as a catchall. Carry gun, home, defense, range gun. Figured that the quality and size would sustain me for a while. I really hope I did not make a mistake. I have to approach it slowly. As much as I have shot guns a good portion of my life, this is the first own myself. Was going to get a DPMS Tac2 it's but thought the option of carry gun might be more useful. Still really want the rifle but probably going with a bird shotgun when I can talk myself into a second gun. Like I said. I have to go slow ....not by choice

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a question......because of the potential of not having readily available parts in the near future, are there any that you can recommend that I buy now to be safe for years to come?

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Thanks for the second opinion, ma6907. I certainly hope Chris is just revamping his website, as that link seems to be just a "website place-holder" page.

I think he does most of his online sales through Gunbroker. (my impression, not trying to speak for him). His Gunbroker user name is OpilaArms. You can go to "advanced search" and search by seller.

·
Registered
23,609 Posts

Yeah, it has been that way a while. He pretty much leaves it up as a contact info page. :)
He actually sells quite a lot of gun parts on GunBroker. That's how I discovered him.

·
🎖USA Veteran
11,999 Posts
Where I think you might be in a much better place for parts is that your run of P229C had the full, normal rails for most all Sigs, and you also had the P229 full-size grip, so short of needing to replace your frame, you should be okay.
The P229C uses the same locking insert (with integrated rails) as the P224.

I have a question......because of the potential of not having readily available parts in the near future, are there any that you can recommend that I buy now to be safe for years to come?
Here's a list of the parts that are unique to the P229C/224:

Text Font Line Number

The P224 and P229C each have their own unique grip panels as well. TMK, no one is making any aftermarket grips for the P229C. Standard P229 grip panels will not fit the P229C.

Edit: List corrected.

·
Registered
9,101 Posts
The P229C uses the same locking insert (with integrated rails) as the P224.

Here's a list of the parts that are unique to the P229C/224:

View attachment 133426

The P224 and P229C each have their own unique grip panels as well. TMK, no one is making any aftermarket grips for the P229C. Standard P229 grip panels will not fit the P229C.
Good info- that list should be a sticky.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The direct quote from Sig CS today was, "We used the rest of the P224 parts to do a limited run on the P229C, and neither barrels nor other parts are expected to be available in the future." Obviously, I should have posed this question to him today, but I was mainly interested in getting a barrel.
Good to know, saw a P224 SAS at a local shop.

I will stay away now.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The 40SW barrel for the P224 shows in stock (6 left) on Sig's site. No other caliber.

From my parts listing, the following are what show with different part numbers for the P224 (different from other P series guns). According to my list, the trigger bar spring and decocking lever spring from ThnkFrst's list show the same part number as the other guns.

I recently did place an order from Sig for several parts to have on-hand for the future to support my P229C. Have received most of them, but the supply will probably dry up at some point the way it sounds. And I'm wondering if I'll get the few outstanding parts ever (takedown lever and grip screw set).

Grip Screw Set, P224, BLK GSCREWSET-224
Recoil Spring Guide, 224, machined 1201448-R
Recoil Spring, 224 SPRING-25
Locking Insert, 224 1201436-R
Lever, Take Down, 224 LEVER-5
Hammer Strut, 224, DA/SA 1201455-R
Trigger bar 1200595-R
Decocking Lever 1200597-R
Decocking lever bearing 1202018-R
Mag catch 1201471-R
Mainspring MAINSPRING-1
Mainspring seat 1201446-R
Firing Pin Safety, 224, machined 1201463-R
Slide Catch Lever, 224, 229CA 1201455-R
Sear Spring Seat Pin, Flared 224 1201708
9mm barrel BBL-224-9
40 barrel BBL-224-40
357 sig barrel BBL-224-357

·
🎖USA Veteran
11,999 Posts
From my parts listing, the following are what show with different part numbers for the P224 (different from other P series guns). According to my list, the trigger bar spring and decocking lever spring from ThnkFrst's list show the same part number as the other guns.
usmcdjb, thanks for the correction. I confirmed that the TB spring and decocking lever spring are the same P/N's used in other P-series models. I'll update my list.

Would also add to your list the "Grip Screw Plate", P/N 1201458-R which are also unique to the P224/229C.

·
Registered
225 Posts
There appears to be P229C and P229CA out there; the P229CA has a P224 slide and the rails are two-pieced like those of a P224. Not sure what the P229C (which shows E2 grips) have.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.