SIG Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My SP2022 is one of my favorite guns, but I almost ditched it because I hated the magazine baseplate for it. The original SigPro mags that came with it have a baseplate that's almost an inch tall, meaning aftermarket baseplates were a no go. I hated the pinky guard, found it was in the way of my grip, made reloads less comfortable, and printed badly.

I was about to sell and shell out big money for 226 or a 229 when I found a solution (I still will eventually, but not so soon now). I figured I'd share in case anyone was having similar issues. First, I bought a Mec-Gar magazine. Full metal all the way to the base, no inch of plastic at the bottom to screw things up. EBay for half the price of a SigPro mag. Then I found the only place you can buy flat base plates molded to the SP2022. Look on www "dot" rocosystems "dot" com. Buy however many you are going to use, cause they charge $9 for shipping no matter how many you get.

I actually love the Mec-Gar mags way more. Even before I swapped the base plates, they have a better feel, they click in place better, and the spring is a little more taught. But most important, the have sight-holes for rounds 3 through 10, where the SigPro mag only has 5 and 10.

After I swapped the base plates I never looked back. Bought three more of each and am selling my SigPro mags.

SP2022 is a great gun. I'm glad I could fix my issues with it :cool:

Registered
Nice. I've started to wonder more recently how the 2022 feels compared to a more "recognized" Sig, e.g. 226. Apparently they weight the same.

Nice job on the finger guard. I've seen people dremel the bottom off. It never bothered me as the 2022 is too big/heavy for me to carry on my small frame LOL.

Registered
Both of my Sig Pro mags are like your MecGars only the witness holes go from 3 to 15. Might be because mine is about 6 years old, but more likely because they are not California compliant. My 3rd mag is a MecGar +2 so it holds 17 but the witness holes only go to 15 as well.

The baseplate doesn't bother me, but I don't bother trying to CC my 2022. Then again, I seem to be one of those odd people who is comfortable with the 6 round mags in my P238's.

Greeenteeee, my 9mm 2022 feels very similar to my 9mm P229. Both in the handling and the shooting.

Premium Member

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice. I've started to wonder more recently how the 2022 feels compared to a more "recognized" Sig, e.g. 226. Apparently they weight the same.
It's really a polymer version of the 225. All things being equal I would prefer a 226 or a 229, but I couldn't pass on this gun at the price. I didn't have a ton of cash at the time and I figured I could sell it eventually for a "real" Sig. But I love this gun. It's my go to 9 for range fun now. It jumps a little more than the metal frame guns, but I'm not in competitions so I don't care that much.

Both of my Sig Pro mags are like your MecGars only the witness holes go from 3 to 15. Might be because mine is about 6 years old, but more likely because they are not California compliant. My 3rd mag is a MecGar +2 so it holds 17 but the witness holes only go to 15 as well.

The baseplate doesn't bother me, but I don't bother trying to CC my 2022. Then again, I seem to be one of those odd people who is comfortable with the 6 round mags in my P238's.
Yeah, the CA compliant 9 magazines by Sig have the extra plastic at the bottom because they only go up to 10. That's nice that they have the witness holes though. I wonder why Sig stopped doing that.

The 40 mags are actually metal all the way to the bottom, and some of the older mags are as well, but I couldn't find a Sig brand one in 9. Just paying the Sunshine Tax I guess.

I've seen others that simply grind/sand away the pinky rest.
I never liked the way it looked. I've seen videos of people taking a dremel to them, but it always looked a little ghetto to me. It's like trying to sand the spoiler off a Ferrari.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.