Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

What an amazing resource this place is. I'm very grateful to be here.

I have had more than my share of time to peruse gun magazines and get online on gun forums of late. Recovering successfully and swiftly from some disc surgery last month and getting more active now.

During this downtime my hobbies were limited to reading, watching tv, some grilling and a weekly range session.....and of course long days at work. It's taken most of my energy to get through work days and I'm left resting and recovering on days off.

Feeling much better now, but still very weak in both arms. Doc says this is normal and will resolve itself in time and is resultant from the nerve damage I did in wrecking the disc which required the surgery. This weakness has left me feeling very ill equipped to defend myself & family and for the first time in my life it really made me dwell on what would happen in a situation if things went bad.

The area I live in is getting worse, too. The evening news is filled daily with reports of shootings, robberies, carjacking, home invasions and the like. A local LEO recently told me that gangs have really taken a foothold and escalated what he is seeing. His warnings and advice were enough to get me rethinking my approach.

I've always enjoyed hunting and have various shotguns, rifles and a coupe handguns that relate to that.

I've always been a 1911 fan, too, and now have the bases covered with a few that I really like.

I'd always subscribed to the thought that, "Any gun you have with you is better than the cannon you leave at home". Towards that end I'd comfortable pocket carry a 442 Airweight and call it good.

I've since decided to up the ante and increase my capacity and firepower by carrying full sized guns. This lead towards finding comfortable holsters and proper belts. A G19 has been an often carried gun this past year. The Gen4 version really fit my large hands much better. Some aftermarket sights and this gun really does well for me. It's proven to be much more accurate than I ever expected. Not that it's been abused, but it's never had issue with being sweat drenched, rain soaked or scraped against stuff by accident. A Milt Sparks Criterion makes it disappear. I added a Raven Concealment Phantom for it this week.

I recently went shopping around for a nightstand gun and considered a G17 or G34 but I wanted something that would be better used by my wife as well. The DA/SA models were recommended by a friend for much the same reason as revolvers are always suggested for such. That first DA pull really does make sense.

I decided to get a P226 TacOps in 9mm. I picked it up earlier this week and have had a range session with it. I really like it. Going to mount a light and possibly a light/laser and keep it stoked with a solid defense load and take it along on every range session.

Shooting that P226 reminded me how great the Sigs handle. It really has me thinking about wanting to get another one to carry......

I also rented a P938 during my range session this week. I shot it as well as my G43 and if given more time and some extended 7-rounders (range gun only had 6-round magazine) I expect I'd shoot it even better.

That P938 with the right holster would be an easy on/off solution for quick trips out or extend wear around home....times where I may not be dressed for full sized concealed carry. In the weeks ahead the outside temps and humidity levels will be climbing and staying there. Comfort will be king.

Glad to be here, folks, and looking forward to getting to know everyone and also become more educated on the Sig models that may be of interest to me.

I'm looking forward to getting my arse in gear and increasing my cardio activity on days off and 24 hr a day discipline in the kitchen, lol. It's going to be a few months or longer before weight training can resume.....and being trapped inside my gym on a treadmill or elliptical can only be tolerated for so long before I feel like a caged animal. Walking outdoors will be my most frequent form of cardio, I'm guessing. Will be reassured having a handgun secured on my hip during these times....since the wife is against getting a Rottweiler or the like. :p

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Come in! Welcome to the site!

Reactions: DubfromGA

·
Premium Member
4,470 Posts
Glad to hear of your successful recovery. Welcome from Florida.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Welcome from Texas

·
Registered
765 Posts
Welcome from MD. Been there with the recovery after disc surgery. It will get better with more time. Stick with the PT.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Ohio

·
Registered
130 Posts
Welcome from Stone Mountain, GA.

·
Premium Member
7,598 Posts
Greetings and welcome to SigTalk from Alaska.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.