SIG Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd love to get the XSeries Compact Small Grip Module for my M18, but it has a safety and I'm not seeing a version with cut for the stinking safety. Removing the safety isn't an option as I'd like to be able to quickly bring the M18 back to its standard Carry module (which I actually quite like), but for EDC I'd rather go with the Compact grip. As a X5 Legion owner, I love the X Series grip, so I'm think I'd rather do this for EDC.

Is such a grip made by Sig? If so, what's the part number? If not, what are some good alternatives to solve this problem as I don't have the tools, connections, or desire to cut a new grip module for the safety or remove the safety.

Separately, will this grip module hold my 17 round M18 magazines, or do I need to buy new magazines if I go down to the compact grip? If the answer is no, then I'll consider the XSeries Carry Grip Module, so the same question applies - is there a version that is cut for my safety that will also hold my 17 round mags?

·
Premium Member
5,139 Posts
The magazines will work, although you may (or may not) need to modify the base pads.
The module is plastic and a few minutes with a file and it will have safety cutouts.

·
Registered
187 Posts
It's fairly easy to cut the slots. I used a drill, handheld hacksaw blade, razor knife and sanding cloth to smooth. Although this is an M17 example, prior to the M18.
For the carry module, you gain nothing in reality other than the grip style, size is essentially the same. Pick up one magazine for the X Compact module and use the 17/21 rounders as spares.

·
Premium Member
3,012 Posts
You could try this.

I used this template for my X-Compact and it worked fine.
It is plastic so keep the dremel in the center and go easy around the edges.
You could also use it to Scribe the Mark with a Exacto Blade and then cut the notch with a dremel cutting wheel.
I eventually went with a Wilson Combat Carry Grip with Manual Safety cut.

X-Compact Before & After MS Cut with M17 FCU MS Build from my RX FCU.

Now using Wilson Combat Carry MS Grip & Pro Carry Talons.
I like it better than my X-Compact Grip.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm pretty sure the M18 is Carry/Compact size (3.9" barrel) as opposed to X Compact size (3.6" barrel) so an X Carry grip module would work unless you like the extra .3" of barrel to stick out over the front of the grip module (which would look like Buds black/white pistol).

SIG is confusing about their sizing. There are (4) different length barrels (5" Legion, 4.7" Full size, 3.9" X Carry/Carry/Compact and 3.6" X Compact/Subcompact. The Compact takes 17rd mags natively but the X Compact takes 15rd mags natively. So, the X Compact is a different size than the Compact. How freakin' much sense does THAT make? :) Of course, the X Compact uses the X series grip module (similar style across all X lines and sizes). I have both an X Carry and an X Compact (and just sold a full size RX with an X series grip module). I have small hands so the X Compact fits me better than the X Carry (and is the only reason why I sold the full size RX). (Can't find anyone who wants to part with the money to buy my X Carry or I'd sell that, too.)

With all that being said, I've got WC grip modules on both my X's and love them. IMHO, I'd go that way before buying a SIG X series grip module. The price is about the same (the WC is about $10 more).

·
Premium Member
3,012 Posts
The Compact takes 17rd mags natively but the X Compact takes 15rd mags natively. So, the X Compact is a different size than the Compact.
Actually both the Compact & the X-Compact take 15, 17 & 21 round magazines.
The Carry takes 17 & 21 Round Mags.
When I purchased the Wilson Combat Carry I had to purchase a 17 Round Magazine.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Why buy a weapon with a safety and then complain about not being able to get a particular gripe? Research would have shown that only Wilson Combat was the only option. Why not just purchase an Xcompact and not have to worry about it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why buy a weapon with a safety and then complain about not being able to get a particular gripe? Research would have shown that only Wilson Combat was the only option. Why not just purchase an Xcompact and not have to worry about it.
Why buy a gun that's going to cost me $600+ that's hard to find and go through a 14 business day waiting period when all I want is a different grip for my M18? :)

I don't complain about the safety - I'm glad to have it. My question wasn't a complaint, it was an inquiry asking if there was an X-Compact grip that already had the cut out for the safety as I don't have the tools nor do I feel comfortable cutting on a new grip.

I've considered the Wilson Combat as I do have one of their grips and like it, but I love the grip on my X5 Legion and so I was going to try the X-Compact first if I could find one that had a safety cut - sounds like that's not an option.

·
Premium Member
3,012 Posts
The reason that the X-Compact Grips do not have a Manual Safety (MS) Cut is because the X-Compact is not offered in a Manual Safety.
Therefore Sig does not manufacture the X-Compact Grip with a MS cut.
I too was a bit hesitant to cut my new X-Compact Grip but I had already cut a P365XL Grip for a MS.
AND
I really wanted a X-Compact Grip for my MS FCU

Owning Sigs has a tendency to challenge us ALL to do things WE have never done before.
Because of Sig I have:

• Changed my P320 Compact to a X-Compact Grip
  • Changed my P365 Grip to a XL Grip
  • Installed Talon's to all my Grips
  • Added a Flat Trigger to my P365
  • Added a MS to my P365 while cutting the Right Side Lever off for a "Left Side" only MS
  • Cut a P365 XL Grip for a Manual Safety
  • Added a Keres Dynamics Trigger to my Compact RX
  • Ordered a M17 MS FCU Frame and then Transfer the Parts from my Compact RX FCU while adding MS Parts.
  • Cut 2 X-Compact Grip Modules for a Manual Safety
With each challenge successfully met and the feeling of accomplishment from IT it spurs me on to the next Sig challenge....
Probably without the experience's with my P365 and P320
I would have never challenged myself to build a stripped M17 MS FCU from scratch while transferring all of the Parts from my RX FCU and adding the MS Parts.
BUT
With the help of the videos on youtube, the fellow members here at SigTalk and just taking my time..
I was able to accomplish each challenge successfully.

If you have Any Mechanical ability and take your time I think that cutting a Grip is very Do-able!
I purchased a Dremel / Rotary Tool from Harbor Freight for very little $$$.
When I started installing Talon Grips I purchased a Heat Gun from Harbor Freight.

Granted Each person has to evaluate His or Hers Ability and Confidence to do any of the above.
What's the worse that can happen..you toast a X-Compact Grip..
BUT
If you succeed you have a X-Compact MS Grip like my White Grip above.
AND
The Satisfaction that you DID IT!
You own what very few people do!

Then for anyone that knows Sig's they will be like..
Wow a X-Compact with a Manual Safety..That looks Good...Where did you get that?
Then your Bragging Rights Story begins!

I mean...

Look at my X-Compact and Wilson Gripped RX's above..
I'd put both up against any P320 RXP of today AND they have a Manual Safety too!
What's NOT to Like!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Don't have time right now but IIRC the video that was posted on this site from Sig about the M18X or whatever they called it with new options for the M18 showed an xgrip with a safety cut out for use with a MS. So perhaps one is going to be available. I will most likely try to cut one.

·
Premium Member
3,012 Posts
There is this video that discusses the emergence of the M18X with a X-Carry Grip Module that will be Manual Safety Cut & W/O Manual Safety

·
Banned
903 Posts
You could try this.

I used this template for my X-Compact and it worked fine.
It is plastic so keep the dremel in the center and go easy around the edges.
You could also use it to Scribe the Mark with a Exacto Blade and then cut the notch with a dremel cutting wheel.
I eventually went with a Wilson Combat Carry Grip with Manual Safety cut.
Sorry to delete most of your post in the quote here but I wanted to thank you for the video and I found his template on ebay. Very creative and glad to see someone creative like this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd love to get the XSeries Compact Small Grip Module for my M18, but it has a safety and I'm not seeing a version with cut for the stinking safety. Removing the safety isn't an option as I'd like to be able to quickly bring the M18 back to its standard Carry module (which I actually quite like), but for EDC I'd rather go with the Compact grip. As a X5 Legion owner, I love the X Series grip, so I'm think I'd rather do this for EDC.

Is such a grip made by Sig? If so, what's the part number? If not, what are some good alternatives to solve this problem as I don't have the tools, connections, or desire to cut a new grip module for the safety or remove the safety.

Separately, will this grip module hold my 17 round M18 magazines, or do I need to buy new magazines if I go down to the compact grip? If the answer is no, then I'll consider the XSeries Carry Grip Module, so the same question applies - is there a version that is cut for my safety that will also hold my 17 round mags?

You can change your grip out from the original one to the small grip size, it fits perfectly. Heres mine , not really sure if you can tell the size of the grip is smaller than the original one, I purchased the "Small" with safety off their website.

Here is the same one I got

GRIP MODULE ASSY, 320, MANUAL SAFETY, 9/40/357, CARRY, SMALL, COYOTE (sigsauer.com)

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

1 - 14 of 14 Posts