SIG Talk banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Can anyone confirm whether Sig is using Allen head screws or Torx head screws, or Both?
Mine and another recent purchase of my friends xl, has Allen screws which I are standard at the moment, the small torx bit guys are using are to get their stripped Allen head screws out as a last ditch effort.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Mine and another recent purchase of my friends xl, has Allen screws...
One of my pet peeves is low grade Allen Wrenches. Even higher grade Allen wrenches should periodically have their tips ground down a little and the edges deburred when they show wear. You can also grind down the tips by hand with a diamond whetstone. I'm only talking about removing about a 1/16" of an inch of the length and it's like new.

FYI, you should NEVER use a ball end Allen Wrench to loosen tight Allen head screws. Ball ends are fine to spin in the screw, but switch to the regular end for the final tightening.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a similar issue removing the rear sight. One of the screws came out very easy, the second one had to heated and used several bit to remove.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank goodness I Googled it after trying the included key a couple of times as I'm sure I would have ruined the screws. T8 with a ratchet did it for me easily.

Now, does anyone know where I can get replacement screws? I'm not sure that I actually like the red dot, and want to go back to iron sights for a bit...

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thank goodness I Googled it after trying the included key a couple of times as I'm sure I would have ruined the screws. T8 with a ratchet did it for me easily.

Now, does anyone know where I can get replacement screws? I'm not sure that I actually like the red dot, and want to go back to iron sights for a bit...
Search for this topic. I think Midwest gun works has them for sale. You aren’t the first.

·
Registered
P365 XL
9 Posts
Can’t get the screws out, now they’re stripped.. any suggestions?
If no luck after heating the screws and using a torx bit to grab them, you might need to send to Sig. Previous posters mentioned a relatively quick turn around time. It took me trying 4 different Allen wrenches before I got the right fit to remove the 2 screws. Now I have a Holosun 507k and am very happy with it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can’t get the screws out, now they’re stripped.. any suggestions?
I got the screws out with some trouble on my first XL, but the 2nd was no bueno.
Called Sig yesterday and had a shipping label to print in a few minutes.
FedEx visited yesterday and my slide is on the way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For those heat up the screws, do you do it from the top of the slide or underneath? Asking as a newbie who doesn’t want to “screw” this up lol.

·
Registered
265 Posts
For those heat up the screws, do you do it from the top of the slide or underneath? Asking as a newbie who doesn’t want to “screw” this up lol.
The screws that hold the cover plate/rear sight on the 365X and 365XL are accessed from the underside of the slide. Once removed the MRD sight mounting screws are secured from the top of the slide.

There are some great "How To" videos on You Tube on various pistol/sight platforms.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Sharp point tip on the soldering iron so it fits inside the head of the screw. Hold it there until the rear sight starts getting warm. Give it a light try. If that doesn't work, add more heat and try again.

·
Registered
P938, P365XL
14 Posts
I heated mine with a heat gun, but they still stripped out. Contacted Sig. They sent me a return shipping approval and returned the pistol with rear sights removed, new screws and threw in an allen wrench in about a week. In retrospect, I think using a quaity T-grip allen would have been a better plan because it would have allowed more downward force when removing screws. Also agree with another poster thinking that Torx head screws would be an improvement. Thankfully Sig came to my rescue - Good service! BTW - Love my XL with the Holosun 407K
Sig P365XL w Holosun 407K.jpg

·
Registered
303 Posts
21 - 40 of 41 Posts