SIG Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's interesting to me that ideas from the past that led to better handgun accuracy aren't much used. The SIG P210 pistol came out of Swiss Army trials for a new military pistol, which were done between 1943 and 1947. Some people say it's the most accurate gun ever mass produced. It's a short-recoil operated, locked-breech pistol of all steel construction. It is somewhat unusual in that it has inner slide rails, that is, full-length slide rails are machined on the inside of the frame. Most parts are machined from solid steel forgings and then hand fitted. This results in increased accuracy (and durability) but also greatly increases the cost of manufacture. The trigger is single-action, with an external hammer and a frame-mounted safety.

There are many of us that would gladly pay for the full length machined inner slide rails, which give that extra margin of accuracy but drive up the price.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True - I should have said "all else being equal" it leads to better accuracy. I saw a lady almost get her thumb ripped off this week at the range because she positioned it behind the slide. You could give her the best handgun in the world and she'd miss a target at 9 feet.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
A CZ 75 is a fine mid priced mass produced pistol but somparing it to a Swiss P210 is like comparing a Ford Pinto to a Turbo Porsche just because they both have four wheels.

Reactions: Mystro and Mickey

·
Registered
49 Posts
Every CZ I've ever shot will out shoot my P226. My Sig is ok as a defensive weapon but it certainly is not what I would call accurate.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Here is a SIG factory test target from a P210 with serial number shown . Six shots at 50 meters. Five of the six shots are basically through the same hole with a "flyer" maybe an inch away. Simply stunning rifle like accuracy from a non custom factory pistol built for military use and not as a target pistol.

That said for 99 percent of shooters their skills will be the determining factor of the practical accuracy they get from a handgun but great mechanical accuracy is always a plus.

·
Registered
482 Posts
It's the HAND FITTING, not the inner rails which made the difference.

Also agree that there are plenty of firearms out there which exceed the shooters ability!
: )

·
Registered
35,135 Posts
It's the HAND FITTING, not the inner rails which made the difference.

Also agree that there are plenty of firearms out there which exceed the shooters ability!
: )
Good point.
I was trying to wrap my head around the inner rails, and if they would be any more accurate. Accuracy lies in the barrel-slide fit, as much or more than rails.
I did not know about inner rails, as I have never seen a 210. I will search for pics of one.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
how does it differ from a cz 75?
To answer your question, yes it is a similar design to the CZ in that the slide rides "inside the frame". Its built a bit tighter than the CZ's as well, and of course cost ~5 times the price of the stock CZ75 :)

As incredible as the 210 is, if I need or want the accuracy that the P210 offers there are plenty of excellent custom options available today.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Lots of good points here, but I watch a lot of people shoot, and I see few shoot anywhere near their firearms' maximum accuracy potential. All of us want the best equipment we can get our hands on, but to a huge extent, it

"ain't the arrow, it's the archer..."

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
I can't claim the honor of serving my country in uniform, but I suspect that it would be very uncommon for a soldier to need 210-like accuracy from his/her sidearm.

And if he/she did, it is even less likely that he/she would be skilled enough to take advantage of the difference a 210 offers over any modern combat handgun.

That's not a knock on our troops, who are the best in the world. It's just reality.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jeeez . . . Sigarms228 - that accuracy at 50M is something to be real proud of. Yes, military shooting almost always favors rifle over handgun accuracy - with good reason re. amt of close in combat you (don't) experience nowadays. The stats - even at close range - are worse for law enforcement but that is understandable to me given the s__t they encounter every day they set foot in a squad car. Don't get me wrong in posting this - proficiency is 95% of it - but having optimality in a handgun is an impt. concept - like the Army - built to be all it can be!

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
Yes, military shooting almost always favors rifle over handgun accuracy - with good reason re. amt of close in combat you (don't) experience nowadays.
Yep. My best friend spent the last 10 years in the SEAL teams. He never fired his 226 in anger. They're all about their rifles, even in CQB.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yep. My best friend spent the last 10 years in the SEAL teams. He never fired his 226 in anger. They're all about their rifles, even in CQB.
It's all about the mission I guess. I have acquaintances in a Somewhat Alternative Service, who rarely use their wide variety of rifles... But keep the barrels of their P226, P228, and P230 handguns warm on a regular basis:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I should have been more specific - it is all about mission - certain operators do use handguns (and combat knives) with great frequency. They have my complete respect in taking to the enemy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts