SIG Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So yea... How Often Do You Clean/Remove Firing Pin?

New to Sigs and it looks like one has to remove a pressed pin. I'm used to 1911's and XD's which are more simple and remove/clean every few hundred rounds.

I don't see it mentioned in Sig clean/lube instructions but perhaps I missed it.

Thanks,

E Buzz Miller

·
Premium Member
39,164 Posts
I keep solvents and oil out of it, and have never cleaned them.
I bought a 1986 220-9mm with a broken pin. When I pulled it out, it was perfectly clean.

After that I didn't concern myself with them.

i do make a point cleaning the breech face to point it down so nothing runs in the channel.

When buying an unknown or if the mileage stacks up, I have waited for a sale price and used the Sig service package.
They go completely through it, and throw in new night sights.

Reactions: bumper

·
Registered
8,728 Posts
Hi,

So yea... How Often Do You Clean/Remove Firing Pin?

E Buzz Miller
If this is a Legion, or a Classic P-Series, not often.

Don't lube the firing pin channel. Don't take it apart if you don't need to. To "feel" the firing pin/channel, field strip and place slide upside down on table. Hold slide with off hand and push against rear of FP with suitable "thing" Q-tip, Delrin punch etc. FP won't go in very far. Now repeat and with the off hand also depress FP safety block plunger near the rear of the slide. This will allow the FP to go fully forward until the tip pokes out of the breech face. Move the FP in and out, is should move against it's return spring smoothly and with no gunky feeling or grinding (assuming the block plunger is depressed properly).

Easy to remove the pin on a P938!

On a Classic P, Legion or otherwise, there are threads here on the process, but it can be arduous and involves using a 3mm cup tip punch (which is really 2.8 mm for clearance) to drive out the lateral pin in the slide so as to allow all the fiddly bits to "it came apart in me 'ands Mum!" (which is an old English saying that nobody here would likely to catch . . . but what the heck). Edit to add, Cup tip punch on the older solid pins w/rounded ends. On newer roll or spring pins, a roll pin punch is best and the pin would be, I think, easier to remove than the solid pin, legacy slide guns.

If you truly do need to remove the FP for some reason* , and you need more info or help that what the vids or prev. posts convey, I'll be happy to help any way I can, If you PM me, I can walk you through it via phone.

*With a gunked up FP, unless one has the requisite tools and mechanical know how, I'd try cleaning it first using spray brake cleaner or (?) - - but be sure to check compatibility with the Legion's somewhat tender finish in an inconspicuous spot. Use the spray wand and hold it square up to the firing pin hole in the breech face (use eye protection, as all the overspray will be directed towards you eyes - guaranteed). Spray in there, blow out with compressed air - repeat, blowing the rear end of the slide against a clean paper towel so you can access what's coming out. Hopefully. :)

·
Premium Member
18,560 Posts
SIG recommends you replace the firing pin and firing pin spring every 20,000 rounds. If you want to clean the firing pin channel out more often than that, and since you are asking in the Legion forum, not being certain how well the finish holds up to harsh cleaning solvents, I would suggest you use CRC QD Plastic Safe Liquid Contact Cleaner to do the cleaning. Spray the solvent liberally into the firing pin hole in the breech face and allow it to drain out. Run some compressed air into the firing pin hole to push out any excess and let it dry. Should be good to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.