SIG Talk banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Given the current climate too much is not enough. I usually try and buy ammo to shoot for practice and leave my stash alone, but now that the cupboards are bare most everywhere Ive cut back on my practice time. Had I made the effort to buy more and use less I could at least make it out to the range a couple of times a month and feel comfortably supplied. For now Im just riding it out until things get less crazy this panic buying.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hopefully stocks will return to normal soon. Meanwhile, my LGS has been increasing the price of they stock they do have by $1.50/50 rounds over the last 2 weeks.

·
Registered
186 Posts
am terrible at stockpiling! All my guns are loaded with HP rounds but I never seem to save enough target!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Buy QUALITY ammo with sealed primers, ever notice how some primers are red or greenish blue around their edges on better ammo? That's because they're sealed at the edges with paint sealant at the factory and store MUCH longer (controls moisture issues). Store in new or better quality Military cans or equal, with intact undamaged rubber lid seals. Get high quality re-usable desiccant packs. Fill cans removing your ammo from the cardboard boxes (paper pulls moisture), you can leave the ammo in their plastic cases if you choose for stacking, if you do, write on the plastic case the date of purchase or manufacture and always store the newest ammo on the lowest levels. If you don't use the cases use baggies and write the appropriate info on the bag. Remember, oldest always on top! When your can is full (1" from the top) put a strip of Duct tape on it write in Sharpie (Perm Marker) the dates of the ammo in the can. Off the top of my head a full can is approx. 2,000 rds. The top 1" of the can I fill with 3 lg desiccant bags. Once a year I open the cans to inspect the ammo and re dry the desiccant in the oven. I do try to rotate stock, new stuff in new can with the oldest stuff shot first. Going to the range, buy 200rds shoot 100 (pulled from oldest inventory with the new 200 put in a new can). Ammo stored and maintained well can last decades. BTW, Cool, Dark, Dry spot is best.
That's really great information. Thank you for taking the time to be so thorough. I bought a military ammo can today and I have a project for tonight.

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
I currently have:

15,000 rounds 22LR
3,000 rounds 9mm
500 rounds .45 ACP

And always acquiring more....

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have 865 rounds of 45 acp. The P220 is the only pistol I have -or will need for that matter. But, I certainly plan on buying more. I sold my like new 1006 and the ammo with it. If I do buy another pistol it will be 45 as well. Just streamline things. Bulkammo has been good to deal with.
Off topic, but if you don't mind me asking, what kind of money did you get for your 1006? I have a like new one that I bought in the early 90's. I'm just curious as to what kind of value they are now.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Thanks for your wisdom on storage SouthernYankee! I'm new as well and so far have been storing in fire + waterproof fire safe. I hope that is the same (if more expensive) effect. (safe/bbox has a rubber-like seal)

The discarding of the paper boxes is a surprise.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Ok FINE... You want an answer! I'll ******* give you one!!!

OP: You asked the question "How much is enough?"

My FINAL answer: It is NEVER enough!!!!!! :Evillaugh:

·
Registered
135 Posts
That's really great information. Thank you for taking the time to be so thorough. I bought a military ammo can today and I have a project for tonight.
When I reload for long term storage, I personally use a small amount of clear nail polish, but they do sell primer sealant.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts